DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dash removal/ Heater core replacement

43K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Toms Blue Ram 1500 
#1 ·
hi guys, im new to this forum and am needing some assistance on my '02 ram 1500. The heater core cracked some time last winter and I have just gotten around to ordering a replacement and found the time to replace it but I am having issues pulling the dash back. I've pulled several bolts and have most of my dash in pieces behind my seats. I've removed a few bolts under the air bag on the passengers side and after all that I can slightly lift and wiggle the remaining dash but I can not seem to get the darn thing back.

Does anyone happen to have a diagram or something for the 2002 ram dash?

It would make my life a whole lot easier especially since the weather is going to drop again soon here in NC and I hate the cold!

#5 ·
well thank you guys for stating the obvious but I was looking for help more along the lines of removing the dash... not the obvious safety measures
Your best bet would be to subscribe to alldatadiy.com. They have complete drawings and illustrated procedures on how to remove the dash. It'll cost about 15 bucks a year for complete shop data access, but I've got my money's worth from it over the years on all my vehicles!

#6 ·
REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.
  1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the Airbag Control Module (ACM) and bracket from the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  3. Remove the trim from the left and right cowl side inner panels.
  4. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
  5. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
  6. Disconnect the clockspring pigtail wire connector from the instrument panel wire harness connector located on the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  7. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the overdrive lockout switch pigtail wire connector from the instrument panel wire harness connector near the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  8. Remove the steering column from the vehicle, but do not remove the driver airbag, the steering wheel, or the switches from the column. Be certain that the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.
  9. From under the driver side of the instrument panel, perform the following:
    1. Disengage the park brake release handle linkage rod from the park brake mechanism on the left cowl side inner panel.
    2. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the park brake switch on the park brake mechanism.
    3. Disconnect the three connectors (one from the body wire harness, and two from the headlamp and dash wire harness) from the three connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel on the back of the Junction Block (JB).
    4. Remove the screw from the center of the headlamp and dash wire harness to instrument panel wire harness bulkhead connector and disconnect the connector.
    5. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness to door wire harness connector located directly below the instrument panel wire harness to headlamp and dash wire harness bulkhead connector.
    6. If the vehicle is equipped with the Infinity sound system option, disconnect the Infinity wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness connector that is secured to the outboard side of the instrument panel wire harness to headlamp and dash wire harness bulkhead connector.
    7. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
    8. Disconnect the heater-A/C housing vacuum harness connector from the heater-A/C control vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  10. From under the passenger side of the instrument panel, disconnect the two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector.
  11. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 13 mm (0.50 inch).
  12. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  13. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
  14. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position, disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the heater-A/C housing wire harness connectors.
  15. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.