DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
marko7717 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT Install into a 09 1500

I recently installed a Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT into my 2009 Ram 1500 with the center console. I performed a parking brake bypass that was posted on YouTube to be able to utilize the GPS and watch videos without having to engage the parking brake, and thus far the stereo is working flawlessly. Below are some pics and instructions on how I installed it. If you have any questions comments or suggestions on how I installed the stereo please post them. Please keep in mind that these are the steps that I took to install this stereo into my truck, steps for installation into your truck may be different.

A few disclaimers: 1. I am in no way a professional stereo installer. If you choose to install a stereo in the same manner as I did, you do so at your own risk. 2. I do not recommend performing the parking brake bypass. The parking brake feature on this stereo is there for your safety.

Enjoy

First you must remove the top portion of the center console. There are five screws holding down it down (2 phillips, 2 9/32", 1 T25 torx). Along with the screws you will need to remove the shifter knob. You can refer to my other thread for those instructions http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48088. Once you remove all of the screws pull up sharply on the cover or utilize nylon pry bars to pop off the top portion from the bottom portion of the center console. Once it pops off you will have to unplug one receptacle (bottom pic) and remove one light socket (top pic). To remove the light socket you must twist and then pull it out. Be careful though, there is not a lot of slack in the wire to get in there. The receptacle is your basic squeeze and pull which requires a little elbow grease to remove.

Next you will remove the front fascia of the dash. The fascia is held into place by three screws, all of which are T25 torx. As shown in the pic two are located on top under the rubber mat. The third is behind a cover under the passenger HVAC vent. Remove the cover with a nylon pry bar, or very carefully with a flat tip screw driver.

Once you remove all of the screws pull sharply or utilize nylon pry bars to pop off the fascia. Once it popped off, I had to unplug six plugs before I could completely remove it.

With the fascia removed you can now start to remove the old stereo. The stereo is held into place by four 9/32" screws. To completely remove the stereo I had to unplug four connectors. The big grey plug contains all of the basic wires (power, speakers, etc.), and Im not too sure what the smaller grey plug in the center is for. The two on the far right are the antenna (white) and Sirius antenna (yellow).

The pic on the left is to show you the size difference between the two stereos. The factory stereos are wider than a basic double din stereo, so you will need to utilize aftermarket mounting brackets (center pic). American International (p/n CD-K642) and Metra (p/n 99-6511) make the brackets needed and you can find them on-line or at your local stereo shop. For the wiring harness I used a CANbus interface harness made by PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation) part number C2R-CHY4 (bottom right pic). I also needed to buy an antenna adaptor (top right pic), Euro female to Motorola male, which can also be found on-line or at your local stereo shop.

The wiring was a bit of a challenge because some of the wires from the Pioneer stereo and the CANbus interface harness were different colors, and some of the installation instructions for the CANbus interface harness were a bit vague. That and the Pioneer installation instructions wants you to locate three wires within your truck and splice into them. The three wires are: Car Speed Signal Input, Parking Break Switch, Reverse Gear Signal Input. But with the CANbus interface harness you do not need to, they are all connected through the factory stereo wiring which is plugged into the CANbus interface harness. I bypassed the parking brake switch using the instructions from YouTube, hence the different colored wires connected to the ground shown in my wiring diagram. The wiring diagram above shows how I wired the two Pioneer wiring harnesses and the CANbus interface harness only. This is not a universal wiring diagram for 2009 Dodge Ram 1500's.

The last thing that I had to do was to cut the above pictured bracket in order to fit the stereo into the dash. I did not figure this out until I was already trying to push the new stereo into the dash. The factory stereos are a little thinner than a double din stereo and the bracket accommodates factory stereos perfectly, hence the reason for the modification. I cut the whole top portion of the bracket off highlighted by the red box. Now I am not saying that this is the only way to do this, this is just how I did it. Once the bracket was cut the new stereo slid into place perfectly. Oh and FYI the bracket on my truck is spot welded to a tube in the dash, which is why I cut the top off and didnt just remove the whole thing.

And this is the final product.
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3930
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Very excellent write up!!! Thank you very much for taking the time to do this!!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Good job!!!!

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Rep points for that!

Any plans to upgrade the rest of the audio in the truck?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Awesome! Rep points for that!

Any plans to upgrade the rest of the audio in the truck?
Im looking at installing JL speakers C2-350x (3.50 in., dash), C2-525x (5.25 in., doors), or possibly the C2-690tx (6.0 x 9.0 in.) if they'll fit in the front doors.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 SLT
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:11
LSxFBODYgen3 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the write up....That looks VERY good

I drive a 09 everyday at work and have looked at that spot just wondering what an in-dash would look like...haha
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I messed up the pics so here they are in order with the install instructions.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: '11 Dodge Ram Crew
Trim Level: Laramie 4X4
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:178
curt4816 has a spectacular aura aboutcurt4816 has a spectacular aura about

so, you dont have to remove that chrome trim ring around the shifter? just pull up on the whole top assembly that the chrome piece attaches to?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt4816 View Post
so, you dont have to remove that chrome trim ring around the shifter? just pull up on the whole top assembly that the chrome piece attaches to?
Yes the whole top pice of the center consol comes off.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

good job it looks cool