DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
dclange is on a distinguished road
Default Dodge 1500 5.2 problems. Help, please?

Hi guy's! New to the site, looks like a great site. Need some help with my sons Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 2WD. Truck has been running rough, loses power when you step on it, etc. All for the past couple monthes. He's been working on it himself. He has put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Went to Advaced auto to let them scan it. Came up random misfires on #1, 4, and 7.
Thats why he changed the cap and rotor. (Plugs and wires a month ago) A couple monthes ago he had a scan done and it said bad cat and O2 sensors.
So yesterday I started to help him and we changed the O2 sensors. Took it for a test drive. Seemed to idle fine, drove it , shifted good. If you would step on it, the rpms would go up, but the truck would bogg down, it wouldn't speed up. He drove it this morning and it is worse, back to missing out. Checked to see if the Cat was/are is stopped up. Pulled the front O2 secnor in front of the Cat to see if that would help. Didn't make any difference. Truck missing bad, even at an idle now. I'm from the old school 50's and 60's
cars and trucks. I don't know much about computers and such on new cars and trucks. I don't even know how to check the dwell or timing on this truck, even thou I have the meter and light. Do you guy's have any suggestions on what to try. My son doesn't have much money and I'm laid off, so maybe with your kind help we can possibly fix it ourselfs. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Last edited by dclange; 04-26-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Post year. The truck is a 1997 year model.
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
DavidNM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclange View Post
Hi guy's! New to the site, looks like a great site. Need some help with my sons Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 2WD. Truck has been running rough, loses power when you step on it, etc. All for the past couple monthes. He's been working on it himself. He has put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Went to Advaced auto to let them scan it. Came up random misfires on #1, 4, and 7.
Thats why he changed the cap and rotor. (Plugs and wires a month ago) A couple monthes ago he had a scan done and it said bad cat and O2 sensors.
So yesterday I started to help him and we changed the O2 sensors. Took it for a test drive. Seemed to idle fine, drove it , shifted good. If you would step on it, the rpms would go up, but the truck would bogg down, it wouldn't speed up. He drove it this morning and it is worse, back to missing out. Checked to see if the Cat was/are is stopped up. Pulled the front O2 secnor in front of the Cat to see if that would help. Didn't make any difference. Truck missing bad, even at an idle now. I'm from the old school 50's and 60's
cars and trucks. I don't know much about computers and such on new cars and trucks. I don't even know how to check the dwell or timing on this truck, even thou I have the meter and light. Do you guy's have any suggestions on what to try. My son doesn't have much money and I'm laid off, so maybe with your kind help we can possibly fix it ourselfs. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks, Dave.
I am a neophyte when it comes to this stuff -- but as I read your post I couldn't help but think there's an issue with fuel injection. Have you checked the filters, injection system, etc.?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
erm

^^^^ Fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator could be culprits here. Also, check the EGR valve. They get carboned up and can really affect engine performance.

Lastly, it could be the fuel pump itself. They do wear out.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

dclange is on a distinguished road

I have not thought of fuel injection system. I've never dealt with that before. I do know we put a new fuel pump on last fall, the one in the tank.
EGR valve, have not checked. With the motor missing on one or more cyclinders, could it be the timing? Timing chain? Do you guys think we should go have another scan done? How can we check to see if the injection system is working right. I really don't think it's a shortage of fuel, more of a mis firing thing, loss of power thing. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
MattRam2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

Lastly, it could be the fuel pump itself. They do wear out.
I kinda had the same problem on my 97 dakota, where it was running rough, replaced the fuel pump (expensive little bugger, and had a full take of gas when it finally went out so that sucked to) and it ran great, however i dont think it was acting like it was miss firing, but as if it wasn't getting much gas was my problem.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 05 1500 4X4 Daytona
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: GoMango
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
Magnum488 is on a distinguished road

A quick check of the fuel pressure would answer the fuel delivery question.
95 Ram 1500 4X4 MP computer, shift kit, more..
Old 05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

crg1987 is on a distinguished road

Make sure the spark plug wires are in the right spots. I had two of mine swapped and couldn't figure it out for the longest time. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

1. Fuel pressure test. (I've had to replace my fuel pump)
2. Swap a coil that you know is good as a test. (Put in a brand new made in China Accel coil and it was no good. Put stock coil back in, ran fine)
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

did you figure the problem out?