DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
jbeanes is on a distinguished road

Ok...this sounds like the same problem I've had for almost two years now. I experienced the vibes just as you mentioned. Mine is the worst at about 65-70 mph but I can feel it at all speeds at times. I also have the intermittent with the truck sometimes riding very smooth. For the first 5 years I owned it, it rode like a dream...like a cadillac. Then I started feeling the vibration. My first thought was tires. Took it in for rotation and balance - no improvement. Took it back ...same thing. Took it back a 3rd time and the tire guys found a wheel rim out of round. Had it the rim trued up but was told that the tire was now probably worn out of round. fast forward 5 months trying to "drive it out" with no luck. Replaced all four tires. Still had vibes....tire store agreed to replace tires again...this was like 2 weeks later. In the meantime between these tire processes I had ball joints and stabilizers replaced, front end aligned, etc. Now I'm really ticked because this truck used to glide, not to mention I have no idea how a rim would have gotten bent! So.... I continue to ask questions around town as my vibrations get even worse with time. One friend said it feels like an older car he had in the 90's that he eventually replaced or had the drive shaft balanced. He said some drive shafts are factory balanced but there's a chance a weight can come off of the shaft...then it's out of balance. I called a place in Charlotte today that said they can check it out. Have any of you guys ever had a bent or out of balance drive shaft? This would make sense since the tire balances/rotations, ball joints, stabilizer rods, wheel repair, etc. have all had no effect in improving my ride.
Frustrated,
JB in NC
Old 07-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
behrmve is on a distinguished road

Had the same bounce/ vibration with my 2500 4x4 and found that the outer axle u-joints where wore badly and when you hit a bump or creveas running across the lane it would cause the axle to go off of center line rotation causing the vibration/ bounce until everything centered it's self again. After market u-joints where $90 each Cdn to buy.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Reni66 is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration issue

Hello,
I am new to this site this morning because I have multiple issues with my recently purchased 2006 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4. I noticed your post about Wobble/vibration issue. I have the same problem with mine. I first started by installing brand new Michelin LTX 20" tires all around. The truck did need new tires. Problem is still there. Then I proceeded to have the front coil over shocks replaced. The old ones were fine no leeks, no signs of wear. Problem is still there. I even put a bed cap made by A.R.E. not to fix the problem but just cause I needed one. Problem is still there.
I have yet to change the steering box do to lack of funds and the need to fix a transmission shutter I have at 1000rpms.
Did the rear shocks help after this amount of time? or do you, like me ignore it due to frustration.
Tim.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

StrikerRam is on a distinguished road

Hi there Guys...i bought my 06 Laramie Q/C and found out to have a problems like you guys...i already had my tire rerotated and same thing vibrations still there...i think im going for a drive shaft balancing...its good we have this FORUMS...it helps a lot!!!