DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion > Nitrous Discussion

Notices

Nitrous Discussion Questions and Answers regarding adding Nitrous Oxide to your Dodge Ram.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

i love nos i dont know how to hook it up friend going help me someday? how about tuning how hard is it??

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
What kind of set up do you have 03? I really don't know that much about it, aside from different NO2/fuel nozzle sizes, TBS porting, and needing a bottle warmer. I'd probably want a purge as well, but what all else do you need? specific regulator or is the open bottle enough with the nozzles, what diameter line, do you need a moisture trap? When active, is it continous injection or just a one time thing? Can you run water/methanol AND nitrous, or is that just for diesels, to keep the EGTs down.

I've toyed with the idea, but just wonder about the practicality with dealing with the Alberta winters and maintenance on the system.

ok i can help a bit first
my setup is this
a nx kit 100 shot with a bottle heater pdual purge kit. you needa purge take the gas out of the lines for a clean spray. you have a arm switch second gear at 3k rpms you can have it set for to activate it to spray.. anything else?? he can also help you

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver and Dirt
Rep:20
03ramit1 is on a distinguished road

I'm posting from my phone right no but nitrous is a dry gas (no moisture) it's really easy to run install and maintain I'll answer all your questions tomarrow afternoon when I am at a computer. But if you buy a (starter) kit from any company most of you questions will be resolved for you. I will go in detail later
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 AM

get into detail !!!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I've also heard about 2 stage injection systems, what's that about? a dual level nozzle set for added boost at higher RPMs?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: bright silver
Rep:22
red041500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've also heard about 2 stage injection systems, what's that about? a dual level nozzle set for added boost at higher RPMs?
i run a two stage on my 59 chevy , first stage is operated off of a micro switch on the carb the second stage is a botton on my shifter handle and is exactly what the name implies. leaving the line mash the gas to the floor and the micro switch activates first stage which is 100hp shot , then if and when needed push the button on the shifter and it activates a 250hp shot. basically its two single stage nitrous kits run together. its so you can come outta the hole on a smaller shot of nitrous and not blow the tires of.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha thanks a lot.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
What kind of set up do you have 03? I really don't know that much about it, aside from different NO2/fuel nozzle sizes, TBS porting, and needing a bottle warmer. I'd probably want a purge as well, but what all else do you need? Specific regulator or is the open bottle enough with the nozzles, what diameter line, do you need a moisture trap? When active, is it continuous injection or just a one time thing? Can you run water/methanol AND nitrous, or is that just for diesels, to keep the EGTs down.

I've toyed with the idea, but just wonder about the practicality with dealing with the Alberta winters and maintenance on the system.
I don’t have a whole bunch of time but let me see if I can answer your questions. my system I run a "brand X" system from nitrousoutlet.com in the basic kit you will get a nitrous bottle, a main feed line, a nitrous solenoid, a fuel solenoid, a fuel feed line, and a nitrous and fuel output line, a nozzle, jets, and a few relays and switches. that’s a basic kit that you will get from NX, NOS, Edelbrock ect...... with Zex being the exception they will intrigrate the solenoids into a box they call the "Nitrous management unit" (NMU for short) I then added on to my kit. I added a second bottle (so that if the racing is good I don’t have to stop when the first bottle goes dry) you will "need" a bottle pressure gauge, heater, purge, and fuel pressure safety switch (FPSS for short) I say you "need" these things but to make the kit work you do not. But to run a safe and optimal system you do. Personally I would not run a nitrous system without them.

Now let’s talk a little about the use of nitrous. Nitrous is a safe way to add HP. Nitrous is a safe gas to use. Lets talk a little about how nitrous works. Nitrous is made up of 2 nitrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. So for ease of conversation its 33% oxygen. Nitrogen is an inert gas, it’s not flammable and it’s not reactive to any known chemicals out there. The boiling point of N2O is -150 something degrees (this is the point that nitrous turns from a liquid to a gas) when a gas is compressed (in this case above 900PSI) it turns to a liquid. For our application we want liquid nitrous oxide. Because it is more dense than a gas. Nitrous oxide will cool the incoming air charge into a motor, and be beneficial when running on a hot race track (if its 100 degrees outside it really does not matter as the 100 degree air will mix with the -150 something nitrous and it will instantly drop the incoming air temp) now as the nitrous enters the combustion chamber (that is around 500-900 degrees the extreme temperature change separated the nitrogen and oxygen atoms and allows the added oxygen to burn. This is what helps with the added power. (Remember nitrous Oxide does not add power it just adds more oxygen to the motor to allow more fuel to be burnt in turn making more power)

On to nitrous, and your questions. Most applications you can get away running an an-4 line from the bottle to the solenoid (and from the fuel rail to the solenoid) the outlet of the solenoid is usually an an-3 line to the nozzle or plate system. This is standard on most kits that you can buy under 400hp. Once you get over 400 hp it will step up to an an-6.

You will not need a moisture trap as there is no humidity in nitrous oxide it is solely nitrogen and oxygen besides that most moisture traps are only rated for 250PSI max and nitrous pressures are in the 900-1200psi range.

When you “hit the button” nitrous will flow from the bottle to your motor. It will continue to flow for as long as you stay on it. (or until the bottle is empty) but you really should not use it in bursts longer than 30 seconds, because the pistons will get really hot and cause a failure after that point. It’s not a one time use thing. You can usually get several passes out of a bottle. I can get 4 good passes on one bottle then I start to slow down if I keep using it. After that the pressure starts to drop off rapidly and you will begin to slow down. But the number of passes you can get per bottle is dependant on how big of a shot you run. Because the more nitrous you consume per pass, the faster you will go though it. A bottle will be good for aprox 7-8 runs with a 75 shot and good for 1-2 runs on a 350 shot.

You can run water/meth and use nitrous at the same time, but why? The main reason for water/meth is to add a cooling agent to the intake charge as well as up the octane rating to resist detonation. And when you have a properly tuned nitrous system your either going to run high octane gas, or pull timing, (that will stop the detonation) and the nitrous will cool the intake charge. So its sort of point less to run water/meth and nitrous. But still possible.

There should not be a problem dealing with the winters up there. You can leave the system fully connected. And will not have anything to worry about you will be way low on bottle pressure in the winter though, and honestly I don’t see a need for it in the ice and snow it will just cause you to loose way too much traction.

Now on the legal side of things, you can transport nitrous in your truck in ALL 50 states, however it is not permitted for street use, so if you keep the main feed line disconnected from the bottle, you have completely turned off the system. And should be fine driving back and fourth to the track. I drove around in the land of “do not modify anything” California with no tailgate, and the bottles in the bed of my truck. I never once got messed with for having it in there, but I had the main feed line disconnected and a red cap on the end of the line lying in clear sight of the back of the truck. I personally would just ask your local department of motor vechles, and they can tell you the legal way to go to and from the track.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:656
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

glad you gave us the short version Chris...lol
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 AM

the sad part is that it was alot longer untill i cut out a bunch of stuff. stuff thatwas leading off in the wrong direction.