DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 3.7-liter V6 engine - 210 horsepower, 235 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

I would try a programmer that mods the parameters that cause the truck to downshift. Is it decreasing speed when it shifts down, or does it just drop down when still maintaining?
I was looking into a gear swap for my truck with the 5.7 because I figured I couldn't really gain anymore power than a Hemi and keep a fair gas mpg. 3.55 to 3.92 would have been about 200rpm diff for me, and i don't think that would fix the problem I have. I was just looking to keep the 4 banger mode in longer while driving on highways with very mild rolling hills(very mild).
But after much research, the issue I think is ultimately going to get me is I like to set the cruise on about 75 and there is too much wind resistance on the truck at that speed for the motor to overcome in 4 mode without going up about 400 rpm and that would kill the mpg, and there is no program avail to adjust the MDS, which I have found. Tried the test and took the truck down to 63mph in cruise (very hard to get passed by big rigsand it worked like a champ without coming out of 4 mode with the decrease in wind resistance the little bit of throttle input was fine to maintain the mode.

Hopefully you can find a programmer that mods the tranny and adjust things out the way you like them.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.

Last edited by StoneyWV; 03-09-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Base
Color: I forget, light blue metallic
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
six gun is on a distinguished road

Sorry. The V6 is just a way-underpowered base truck. I know. I have one. You can help it with gearing and intake or more but you're doing it the hard way. An srt-10 or a hemi or a turbo diesel will provide power and torque and towing, but the sixxer isn't good for much more than a couple bales of hay and an Alaskan Malamute.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Ysuran Gunman is on a distinguished road

Has anyone found the turbo setup for their truck? Or good cam shops? Looking to do this with mine if possible
2006 quad cab short bed with CAI, hypertech 52501, 3.92 rearend, flowmaster 40 dumped behind cab, 20'chrome 275/60's
Old 12-31-2014, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default 3.7 Ram

Guys, I believe that with the 3.92, our 3.7's are about as good as they are ever going to perform. Yes, you could spend all kinds of money and effort to hop them up, but why bother ? If lots of power is what you want, you've made one mistake already. Just trade it for a v8 new or used,....I'd doubt any enhancements you could make to the 3.7 (other than the 3.92) will suffice your appetite, and then still not likely. Do like me, be satisfied with what you have....a darn nice truck that will haul whatever you need to, a comfortable ride, reliable transportation, great looks. If your towing needs are modest and short haul, you won't have any trouble. Shifting in and out of the gear set, well set your cruise and relax, enjoy some music or a delightful companion. I seldom travel interstates for long distances, but when I do, the 3.7 is more than adequate and I'm always in the left passing lane. I've only "floored it" one time just to see what it has. Regardless of the "almighty hemi only" dribble and hype on this site, make your own decision based on logic and your true needs. Forget the mods, trade if you can't stand it, or enjoy and love what you have. Ummm,...guess that could be said in a lot of things about life in general.
Be happy, love and enjoy what you have in life, be grateful for your talents and good fortune, and I wish all of you a great and prosperous 2015.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

Been entertaining making this swap myself. I got a great deal on a very low mileage truck, upgraded it to power everything and love everything about the truck but the mileage and low end power, or lack thereof. I've owned a few V10's, a Cummins 1-ton dually and honestly, am really enjoying the simplicity of a 2wd short bed pickup.

The obvious fix is to swap to 3.92's but is the juice really worth the squeeze? Is 200 rpm really going to make that much of a difference?

Lot's of guys running 3.92's already swear by them but has anyone actually done the swap and posted actual results?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x2, man.
Trim Level: sl
Engine: 2002-2012 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Big Kahuna Guy is on a distinguished road

I just ordered the parts to swap out my 3:21s with 4;56s and add a Eaton truetrac while it is opened up. No freeways here on Big Island but plenty steep driveways and roads. Had the truck over a month now and never hit 5th or 6th gear yet.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Ysuran Gunman is on a distinguished road

You never got to fifth or sixth because the 3.7l v6 came matter to a 4 speed transmission with overdrive
Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 4x2, man.
Trim Level: sl
Engine: 2002-2012 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Big Kahuna Guy is on a distinguished road

It's a stick