DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
yukonhemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
The basic three are:

Intake
Exhaust
Programmer

And why? HorsePower 101:

The internal combustion engine is, basically, a big air pump. More air in + more air out = more power. Simple as that.

More air in (and colder air vs. hot air) provides more combustion oxygen to the engine. Cooler air makes for better fuel/air mixes and atomization when introduced to the combustion chamber.

Now it follows that more air in requires more air out, hence the suggestion on headers and freer flowing exhaust. More air in without more air out almost totally negates the benefits of more air in. You have open up both ends up to reap the rewards.

Programmers.

Most factory program settings are very conservative, driven by fuel economy standards that are levied on manufacturers by regulatory agencies. As such, your vehicle's stock program sets your combustion cycle to a lean condition. This means your engine is right on the verge of knock retard, where the knock sensors read a knock (pre-detonation) and retard the timing and fuel, robbing you of power. I firmly believe this is not only detrimental to efficient operation but it can be harmful to the engine.

A programmer alters this condition by remapping fuel delivery curves (it richens the mix) and adjusting spark & timing to remove the lean condition, thereby reducing or eliminating the knock retard condition a stock program inherently sets for mileage purposes.

MDS & Mods:

I've seen no definitive numbers on whether or not MDS works. What I have seen, and experienced, is when an aftermarket exhaust system is installed and the engine goes into MDS mode, it drones terribly. There are two methods to avoid this condition. Turn off MDS with the programmer, or, install an exhaust system that has a resonator (or two resonators, one on each tailpipe if a dual system is installed) to eliminate the drone.

Conclusion:

Any of these mods will work with any internal combustion engine. They are the basic building blocks for improving engine performance, driveability and efficiency.

The test, for you, is pick what works best for you. First, you have to decide whether or not factory intake and exhaust works for you. If not, modify them.

Then, does the engine perform to your satisfaction? If not, adding the intake and exhaust will help but you will not totally realize their full potential until you eliminate the factory program compromises.

So have fun reading up on available mods, enjoy the discussions and draw your own conclusions.

As for me, my experiences with better intake/exhaust/programmers has been very positive on the HEMI and other engines.
good info thanks,i have the diablo tuner and love it but is there any info on the fuel mapping and the spark im new to this so far i have gotten rid of the mds added magnaflow exhaust afe cai and taken out the high speed limiter but afraid to mess with the fuel settings,oh i have a 09 5.7 hemi any help is apprecaited
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SnivelDaKing is on a distinguished road

Has anybody purchased the computer upgrade from MOPAR? The dealer told me that it would add about 20hp, 10 lbs torque, and about 3 MPG to my truck. I have a 2010 1500, 4x4. They will charge $600, installed, and locked with my vin. Is this a good deal or should I go with something else?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

hell no dont do that there r ripping you off bad

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnivelDaKing View Post
Has anybody purchased the computer upgrade from MOPAR? The dealer told me that it would add about 20hp, 10 lbs torque, and about 3 MPG to my truck. I have a 2010 1500, 4x4. They will charge $600, installed, and locked with my vin. Is this a good deal or should I go with something else?
I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum! Don't forget to stop by the "Newbie Checkin" for your official welcome
Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

read alll my post your learn alot of bug the shit of of chef your learn more

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive