DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Exp CC 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: silver
Rep:53
tgduke will become famous soon enough
Default Washing

i have a goofy question, Is there a possibility of cleaning your truck to much. Can you do damage to the exterior and interior if you over wash and clean?
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Well I would think that too much of a anything is never good. But as long as you use good methods and good products then you should be ok. It's not like you're going to be washing the truck every day right?

There are a lot of good threads on here about detailing. You can also check out sites like meguiers and mother's wax. They have videos about how to do certain steps. Another site is www.autogeek.net. They are a bit on the expensive side but they have a lot of great videos and info on detailing. I bought a wheel brush from them that is great for cleaning the wheels.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Oh boy certainly not every day probably once a week. I will take a look at those links thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
erm

My neighbors think so...they've commented that I'm gonna wash the paint right off the car and truck because I am out there cleaning them routinely. LOL

Use the right products and process and you'll be good.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduke View Post
i have a goofy question, Is there a possibility of cleaning your truck to much. Can you do damage to the exterior and interior if you over wash and clean?
Yes... in a sense. Washing it with a car soap won't remove clear coat or hurt the paint itself, but if you are not washing it properly you are damaging it. If you use a soap with high lubricity, at least 2 buckets with grit guards and proper washmits then you are on the right path. If you are just using one bucket, soap and doing the routine rinse, wash, rinse, you are marring the finish into a dull haze.

Here is a quick example of how it is easy to miss what is happening. This is my truck that I drive everyday. The paint has not been polished in the last 13 years, but I am going to do such this summer [finish polishing]. Vehicles 1 year old can have more damage if the owner dries the paint by moving a towel across the surface. Look at the paint with no sunlight, the paint looks great.

Add some sunlight, and you can see the defects. The swirls are due to improper washing and drying.

If you look closely, you can see the circular scratches and swirls, but even more significant are the millions of micro scratches that take away from the glossiness. Even if the scratches could be removed, the finish is still dulled with the super fine swirls caused by drying from moving a towel across the surface.

The big light is a flashlight and the small light is the light on the incandescent on the ceiling.

After polishing the hood, you can see the flashlights face and the incandescent light much clearer, yes i chose a different angle as the above light is over to the side, but it is the same spot.

I am not implying you are not washing correctly, but some of the safe methods include washing with two or three buckets with grit guards, touchless powerwashing, or a rinseless with proper techniques followed by drying with Air [compressed, blower, etc], blotting with a soft towel, or using a towel on a still wet surface without applying pressure.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Luke- Good stuff there thanks!
P.S love the Wings flag in the reflection of the first Pic!!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 2500
Trim Level: LARAMIE
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:11
HEMIBLUDA is on a distinguished road

"too much of a good thing, is a good thing" haha but I definatly agree with leadfootluke but what I am wondering is he talking towel as in shamee? I dry with a Shamee and then do a touch up dry with a micro fibre so I hope i'm not f'in the paint.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIBLUDA View Post
"too much of a good thing, is a good thing" haha but I definatly agree with leadfootluke but what I am wondering is he talking towel as in shamee? I dry with a Shamee and then do a touch up dry with a micro fibre so I hope i'm not f'in the paint.
A Chamois will work, but because it is so fine, there is a lot of contact with the paint, meaning Any debris caught in the towel will cause marring. When I dry with a towel, I only touch the wet areas where I am not moving a towel over dry paint. By touch, I mean I blot the areas that are wet. Then I also use a microfiber [waffle weave] to touch up.

The same goes for a waterblade. It can work effectively, but if ANYTHING gets caught in the blade, it will cause long scratches. To be honest, the safest way is compressed air, but that is not convenient most of the time. I use a towel to blot, then a MF to finish.

To aid in drying, I use a rinseless wash and shine that I spray on the paint as I am drying. It is a quick detailer, but also works to separate dirt from the finish and clean anything that I may have missed. This way, the finish is glossy and scratch free after the wash.