DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
NIGHTRUNNER2006's Avatar
NIGHTRUNNER2006 NIGHTRUNNER2006 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kyle, tx
Age: 34
Posts: 123
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi
Trim Level: Night Runner edition
Color: Brilliant Black w/pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:27
NIGHTRUNNER2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Cold Air Intake Comparisons

Hey guys I thought I would shed some light on this subject seeing that Ive noticed a few posts by members asking the same question. Which CAI do I get?

Most recent posts have been in reference to these types of CAI's Volant, K&N, Airaid, Spectre, and last but not least Summit Brand.

Seeing that im wanting to change out my custom CAI to another that is designed for our vehicles Ive spent some time researching a few of the above brands, Spectre, K&N, and Summit.

I have personal experience with a K&N and Spectre set up on some of my other vehicles.

The Spectre
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9932/?rtype=10
This unit utilizes an alluminum Chrome plated tube, Alluminum mounting bracket, and an Oil free Filter
Pros: Reasonable Pricing, Easy install, Nice dress up components, Dry style filter (doesnt require oil maintenance)
Cons: Alluminum tube (this draws more heat than any plastic style tubing creating hotter air injection into the engine)

The K&N
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-57-1533/
This unit utilizes a plastic tubing, Molded box, Different style filter.
Pros: Recoginized name brand, Plastic intake tubing(allows for cooler air to pass through), Easy installation.
Cons: A bit pricey, Uses an oil required filter(This has a potential danger of sucking the oil into the intake...Not Good),


Summit Brand: These are two different options they offer for their "House Brand".
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-239351/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-F1112/

As you can see both of these units are similar in looks. The only noticeable difference that I could see was 1 uses a molded box over the other being alluminum. Also different shaped or style filters. Other than that no other difference.
Pros: Cost effective, Plastic tubing, Option plastic box, Comprable filter to other brands.
Cons: IMO there are none.
Here's what some people might not know about summit products...Their house brand labled products are mostly made by your big name brand companies just with a different logo. In this instance their intakes are manufactured by Trick Flow Corperation. Trick Flow makes several performance parts to compete with companies like edlebrock, holley, CompCams, Brodix.

After viewing these examples you've seen that there are very few differences between them. A CAI is indeed a must do when it comes to mods however understand that no matter your choice of brand its only going to do so much without a supporting cast. The MPG increase between them are all going to be very close. Biggest factors for HP gains is tubing material and filter size.

In closing CAI vary in prices from $140 to $400. If you got deep pockets and dont mind spending a bunch of money on a CAI thats great but If you are what I like to call a BUDGET RACER than you might want to consider a less expensive set-up as they all are going to do the same thing. IMO only I would recommend going with one of the lower to middle price range set-ups in this particular mod and take the money saved and buy a supporting mod to go with it.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions or concerns you might have. And Good Luck with your modding

Sean

Last edited by NIGHTRUNNER2006; 07-06-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM
HoustonHemi's Avatar
HoustonHemi HoustonHemi is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas!
Age: 49
Posts: 716
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough
Default

Looks like Summit sells "Green" CAI's. Green makes filters,,, didn't know they made CAI's.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
moparmike07's Avatar
moparmike07 moparmike07 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Age: 25
Posts: 2,491
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough
Default

yes they do what about the bfi and varram. the varam does not fit all the time "Customization" is need in way
__________________

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
centurionhemi's Avatar
centurionhemi centurionhemi is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
centurionhemi is on a distinguished road
Default

So what does the public prefer? I am in the market for a CAI and would like to stay in the $300 range plus tax or so....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
moparmike07's Avatar
moparmike07 moparmike07 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Age: 25
Posts: 2,491
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough
Default

i cant really tell you what i got my bfi for because its top secret and i waiting but look at them order now wait 2 months idc i going away idc when it comes lol i think that or varam idk but with the varamchange plugs looks liek a a pain i like bfi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bfi.jpg (35.1 KB, 20 views)
__________________

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
NIGHTRUNNER2006's Avatar
NIGHTRUNNER2006 NIGHTRUNNER2006 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kyle, tx
Age: 34
Posts: 123
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi
Trim Level: Night Runner edition
Color: Brilliant Black w/pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:27
NIGHTRUNNER2006 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
Looks like Summit sells "Green" CAI's. Green makes filters,,, didn't know they made CAI's.
you are partially correct, note I listed two summit options...The other option is made by Trick Flow as I stated in the original thread.

centriumhemi, I have yet to make my decision BUT as of right now the Summit brand is in the lead.

Last edited by NIGHTRUNNER2006; 07-06-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
PimpJuice's Avatar
PimpJuice PimpJuice is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montgomery, Al
Age: 25
Posts: 519
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:150
PimpJuice has a spectacular aura aboutPimpJuice has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurionhemi View Post
So what does the public prefer? I am in the market for a CAI and would like to stay in the $300 range plus tax or so....
I just orderd an K&N 57 series off ebay for $250 shipped. Its the same intake straight from the K&N website but not $360 lol. From my research and for what i want, its the best one for me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
chefred112's Avatar
chefred112 chefred112 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,784
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold
Default

good research and info on the various brands...when I modded I went from homemade to Mopar clone to BFI...each cai was better then the predessor and each mod served the mod level I was at...
__________________
-fast freddie-
one quick 05 hemi qc...with over 250k miles on odo... on the 5.7...stoker 6.4 now, new times coming
performance mods: yes 5.7 e.t.'s: 1/8 - 7.85 @ 93.20, 1/4 - 12.10 @ 113.96
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM
moparmike07's Avatar
moparmike07 moparmike07 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Age: 25
Posts: 2,491
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough
Default

i dotn know call me a idiot i think that some intakes may vary of the mods you have because on my old car i had a 350z i had a aem with exhaust headers and that. then switched to jtw it made a little difference i dont know. i still think for the price of the bfi why not $ 329.00 i say its worth it idk that just my 2 cents
__________________

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
bones06's Avatar
bones06 bones06 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 279
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn QC
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:92
bones06 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGHTRUNNER2006 View Post
Hey guys I thought I would shed some light on this subject seeing that Ive noticed a few posts by members asking the same question. Which CAI do I get?

Most recent posts have been in reference to these types of CAI's Volant, K&N, Airaid, Spectre, and last but not least Summit Brand.

Seeing that im wanting to change out my custom CAI to another that is designed for our vehicles Ive spent some time researching a few of the above brands, Spectre, K&N, and Summit.

I have personal experience with a K&N and Spectre set up on some of my other vehicles.

The Spectre
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9932/?rtype=10
This unit utilizes an alluminum Chrome plated tube, Alluminum mounting bracket, and an Oil free Filter
Pros: Reasonable Pricing, Easy install, Nice dress up components, Dry style filter (doesnt require oil maintenance)
Cons: Alluminum tube (this draws more heat than any plastic style tubing creating hotter air injection into the engine)

The K&N
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-57-1533/
This unit utilizes a plastic tubing, Molded box, Different style filter.
Pros: Recoginized name brand, Plastic intake tubing(allows for cooler air to pass through), Easy installation.
Cons: A bit pricey, Uses an oil required filter(This has a potential danger of sucking the oil into the intake...Not Good),


Summit Brand: These are two different options they offer for their "House Brand".
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-239351/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-F1112/

As you can see both of these units are similar in looks. The only noticeable difference that I could see was 1 uses a molded box over the other being alluminum. Also different shaped or style filters. Other than that no other difference.
Pros: Cost effective, Plastic tubing, Option plastic box, Comprable filter to other brands.
Cons: IMO there are none.
Here's what some people might not know about summit products...Their house brand labled products are mostly made by your big name brand companies just with a different logo. In this instance their intakes are manufactured by Trick Flow Corperation. Trick Flow makes several performance parts to compete with companies like edlebrock, holley, CompCams, Brodix.

After viewing these examples you've seen that there are very few differences between them. A CAI is indeed a must do when it comes to mods however understand that no matter your choice of brand its only going to do so much without a supporting cast. The MPG increase between them are all going to be very close. Biggest factors for HP gains is tubing material and filter size.

In closing CAI vary in prices from $140 to $400. If you got deep pockets and dont mind spending a bunch of money on a CAI thats great but If you are what I like to call a BUDGET RACER than you might want to consider a less expensive set-up as they all are going to do the same thing. IMO only I would recommend going with one of the lower to middle price range set-ups in this particular mod and take the money saved and buy a supporting mod to go with it.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions or concerns you might have. And Good Luck with your modding

Sean
Since I just put on the Spectre 9932 setup I want to let you know that the filter is not a dry one. It does require reoiling after cleaning
__________________

Magnaflow SI/SO Smoked stainless tip, Anzo LED Lightbar, Spectre Profab #9932 CAI. Euro Dezigns Xenon Krypton 8500k, Stampede Pocket Style Fender Flares, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, VHT Niteshaded Tail Lights and 3rd Brake Light, 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers MT/XD Spy Wheels
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum