DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tow anything, but, my Ram weighs 6,300 pounds, so its like always pulling about 1,000 pounds constantly.
I have considered a CAI & i may get 1 sooner or later, for now i'm just going to buy high flowing quality filters

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

CAI's are a matter of preference. I have always had one in my vehicles because I like the extra performance when needed or sometimes to play when wanted. I tend to never leave anything stock but if your application is just around town and the occasional trip you may not benefit as much especially at $300 for a Volant. If it were me and you are just looking for something that may help in your application I would say to just get a K&N drop in filter. If you had a free flow exhaust system then a CAI could be of benefit. Just remember you need more air in and out to really make a significant change to performance. CAI's will tend to lean out your engine a little and if you don't have a free flow exhaust to compensate then you likely wasted money. The K&N air filter I mentioned is not wasting money on a stock vehicle because it just simply breathes better and I think all vehicles should come with a K&N filter or an equivalent.

Just my opinion so don't shoot. LOL I may shoot back.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
I wonder if bearwhiz has cam/heads/headers/duel e-cutouts/cat deletes/cai/efan/underdrive crank pulley/ported tb/gears/dsp with custom tune/caltracs ?

In all reality, a CAI on an all stock truck just isn't going to 'perform' to the extent of the exact same CAI on a fully modified truck.

In all due respect, chezfred, your truck is unlike the vast majority of Rams on the road today. What works for you and what's worth it for you and your truck is, at times, not always applicable to the rest of us and our stock/near stock trucks.

The advice is nice, but not always applicable.
i know there are very few trucks setup like I am now... with that said, i didn't buy my truck to do what I've done to it.. I was like the masses, I didn't know much (all my engine an mod experience came from when i got my truck) all I wanted was a little more performance then stock.... took me 5 years to get it setup the way it is now, first things I did though was cai and catback exhaust... especially cai, i first tried the drop in, tried to force myself to believe that it did make a difference (it didn't).. I then decided to try a homemade cai with 4" pvc that did away with the hemi hat and drilled 4-5 one inch dia holes in bottom of box to allow more air flow... now, I did feel a difference there, then bought an ebay cai (looks just like the mopar,k an n, aem...), these are considered full cai's as it did replace the whole stock intake setup. Now I felt an obvious difference between that and the homemade. After that is when i started doing more in-depth engine mods that required more flow (hence the bfi)... I'm not suggesting to anyone that they NEED a Bfi/vararam... All I was saying is that there is an obvious difference between a full cai and a drop-in...even in a STOCK situation. Now, when guys come on here and ask for advise or suggestions, they can do like I did and spend a little at a time and buying only mods I could afford at any given time OR if they have the money (like i wish I did), they could skip steps (if they want) and buy the best that they could get. I gained all my mod knowledge on forums..MAINLY listening to the guys who have been there and done that and not anyone with just opinions on things they don't have expereince that. And because of my experience I have attained I was able to share and help people physically with their mods and not just say..buy this or buy that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg install.JPG (66.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by chefred112; 07-16-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 Quad Cab
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Trex80 is on a distinguished road

I say save the 300$ and buy an ebay cheapy just put the k&n filter on it. tubing is tubing....right?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Rep:108
drivehard27 will become famous soon enoughdrivehard27 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to drivehard27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex80 View Post
I say save the 300$ and buy an ebay cheapy just put the k&n filter on it. tubing is tubing....right?
i have the cheap tube with a k&n filter on it .i get about 2 mpg better with it on the freeway i got it from ebay it works but i would rather have a better one but like i said before for me it was about the mpg not looks right now
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 Quad Cab
Rep:10
Trex80 is on a distinguished road

Yea I hear ya.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 5.7 Hemi 4x4, 3.55
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star,
Color: Lt. Graystone Prl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Bearwhiz is on a distinguished road

Chezfred, I stated MY OPINION based on what I read on the various sites. I'm sorry if I imposed on your expert findings. Different things work for different people and what they do with their trucks. Again sorry if I stepped on your educated toes.