DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3930
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Hurt Locker - Accurate?

I just finished watching The Hurt Locker and have questions. Not questions about the movie but in regards to Iraq and what is depicted in the movie.

Are the streets there really that littered with debris?

Do people really live in abandoned buildings? Do they really have no glass windows?

Are the people there that skittish and/or aggressive? Do kids really come up and throw rocks at your vehicles?

Are the experiences shown in the movie about what you see and experience there real? Is it hard to adjust when you get back home?

I don't usually watch war movies because they upset me too much but there had been so much hype about this movie so I finally watched it. I respect you guys for what you are doing for us and I really hate that you are still over there, but after watching this my respect level went way up!

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

It will be interesting to see what the responses are to this.

There are some elements of three Vietnam era movies that rang true, specifically in "Full Metal Jacket", "Hamburger Hill" and "Apocalypse Now". However, there is a lot in any of those movies that is either exaggerated or simply not true, that is added to dramatize or add visual value to the flick.

Bottom line was I had a hard time watching those movies because some elements took me back to a time and place I didn't want to return to.

So let's see what the current group of military members have to say.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I haven't seen the move. But with my experiences helping Vets with their VA claims the psychological trauma of just being there and Afghanistan is very real.

We for the most part are not wanted in either place. Iraq was glad we came, but we over stayed our welcome by a long shot.

As for the living conditions and the kids, I can't say if its real, but it makes sense. Especially the living conditions. People have to live somewhere and a wrecked building to shelter in is better than out in the open.

The thing to remember is you are talking about people who have a totally different standard of living than we do. This makes it very hard for the average American to understand how people in other countries can live the way they do.

In my travels around the world while in the military I found people were generally happy until outsiders came in and told them how bad off they were.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500
Rep:27
cuda71 is on a distinguished road

You never know how good or bad you really do have it until you go somewhere else and see how they live.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 1500 Ram
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
weseod is on a distinguished road

OK Kids here the real deal, I am a EOD tech in real life so here the skinny.

Q-Are the streets there really that littered with debris?
A- YES it looks like dump

Q-Do people really live in abandoned buildings?
Do they really have no glass windows?
A- Some have nice houses, but most are poor so they live were ever
The buildings had glass before the war but 9 years of fighting has demolished most windows, plus I have broke a ton of windows when defusing the IED.

Q-Are the people there that skittish and/or aggressive?
Do kids really come up and throw rocks at your vehicles?

A- The people who just want to live in peace and not be bothered by us or the enemy arre good poeple, the ones who want to be a free nation are fine. The extrimist Muslim crazies, the insurgents and the uneducated are very unpredictable and fact that the enemy does not wear a unifrom does not help the matter either.

A- Some throw rocks, others want candy of what ever you can give them, others would kill you if given a chance.

All in all it is a movie, just like in all war movies stuff has to be made to look more dangerous and interesting, EOD look at the movie like Green Berets. or SEALS look at themselves in movies, it is entertainment so enjoy.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Rep:3930
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. I had so many questions watching the movie, but above all it was more about hating that you guys are even there.

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am a viet nam era veteran, i used to go to biker bars & i still go to my VFW halls, i also used to party with off duty Navy Seals in a town called Niland, just a bit north of Brawley Ca. I talked to many of the ground troops & i was told this.
during the viet nam crisis the kids thought it was comical to throw or lob stones close to a patrol that was passing through the village, these stones were about the size & color of a grenade & when the patrol saw anything that could be a grenade coming in their direction, they dove in every direction & later realized that it was a stone & the kids were lucky that they had not been shot.
Viet Nam was also riddled with tunnels that had been dug to hide snipers & others, we had people that were called tunnel rats, their job was to enter a tunnel to get whatever info they could & or clear the tunnel, definitely not a job for those that can't go into tight spaces.

many people of different countries like those that we in now live in tunnels & caves & until someone goes there & tells them different, they believe everyone in the world lives in caves. Their water supply mostly runs underground in small dug out tunnels, its quite interesting to see, each family digs the tunnel for the water to reach their area.
Did you know that in the bible Joesph & Mary went to Bethlehem & couldn't find lodging, even though they were what we here would call Middle Class or Upper Middle class. They were invited into a home, that home was not as we picture it, it was a cave & had been dug out to have 2 levels, sort of like a split level home, the lower level housed the animals & the manger, the animals body heat rose to upper level where the people lived. This is still the way that they live over there, there are not all that many structures outside of town, just dug out caves in the hills
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Blotter/net...ry?id=10000854
http://in.reuters.com/article/slideshow/idINRTXE6KK#a=3

one of the many cave homes in Australia
Coober Pedy in South Australia
http://thechive.com/2008/12/04/coobe...mes-16-photos/
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 07-20-2010 at 03:10 PM.