DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:12
three percent hero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Are you in the detailing business ? That was a great posting with very useful information. WTG My RAM is new (and black) so I have been using the quick detail from Meguiars. Any advice on this approach, don't want to ruin anything ?
I've run two detail shops in the SLC area for the last eight years. I've been to more car wash conventions and detail training sessions than I care to admit... That Meguiar's Quick Detailer is a pretty cool product. It's a lot like Rain-X, but it's designed to cover the whole car. It's very similar to that P&S Showroom Shine I mentioned earlier. At both of my car washes, we apply a product in our wash tunnels called Weatherguard. It's also similar. I haven't used the Meguiar's version, but the ones I've worked with are pretty sweet. They use similar chemical bonds as the synthetic waxes, but it's my understanding that they're just a bit shorter-term. But they seem like a good between-waxes kind of product. I'm not sure if they contain any solvents or not though... If they do, that could be counter-productive.

One recommendation: Use clean microfiber towels every time you use it. Even cotton terry cloth towels leave little swirly scratches. Microfibers are the only way to go.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by three percent hero View Post
I've run two detail shops in the SLC area for the last eight years. I've been to more car wash conventions and detail training sessions than I care to admit... That Meguiar's Quick Detailer is a pretty cool product. It's a lot like Rain-X, but it's designed to cover the whole car. It's very similar to that P&S Showroom Shine I mentioned earlier. At both of my car washes, we apply a product in our wash tunnels called Weatherguard. It's also similar. I haven't used the Meguiar's version, but the ones I've worked with are pretty sweet. They use similar chemical bonds as the synthetic waxes, but it's my understanding that they're just a bit shorter-term. But they seem like a good between-waxes kind of product. I'm not sure if they contain any solvents or not though... If they do, that could be counter-productive.

One recommendation: Use clean microfiber towels every time you use it. Even cotton terry cloth towels leave little swirly scratches. Microfibers are the only way to go.
Thanks for this great advice, I have been using cloth towels,opps. Where can I get the microfiber ones, under what brand name ?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by three percent hero View Post
It depends what kind of wax you're using...

Carnauba waxes provide the best protection and deepest shine, but they only last about 6-8 weeks. Carnauba waxes are "real" wax that comes from palm trees in Brazil.

Synthetic polymers, or "paint sealants" last a lot longer (usually around 6 months), but the protection lacks a bit, and you get a glassy shine instead of a wet-looking gloss. Synthetic polymers are not actual wax. They're chemically formulated to form a chemical bond with your paint that will hold up against all kinds of abuse, so the bond lasts a lot longer. The only thing that holds a carnauba wax to your vehicle is the stickiness of the wax, so carnaubas are a lot more likely to wear off prematurely due to weather or other conditions.

Some companies claim to have products that blend carnauba waxes with synthetic polymers, but I have never tried one. A lot of people in the detail industry steer away from these products - though I'm not sure why.

I've heard of people "stacking" carnauba waxes on top of synthetic sealants, but you have to be REAL careful about this. Most waxes these days - whether carnauba based or synthetic - have solvents mixed in so that you don't have to do as much prep work. These solvents are great for removing dirt and gunk that you don't want trapped under your wax, but they also remove existing coats of wax (or polymers). So if you're going to stack, make sure you find a wax that is solvent-free.

I try to wax about every 8 weeks with a carnauba-based wax with a solvent so that I don't get any wax residue build up. Every 8 weeks seems like alot, but the more you stay on top of it, the easier it is to do each time. If you can't get around to waxing that often, 2-3 times a year with a synthetic sealant (like meguiar's nxt generation tech wax) is definitely still a good way to go.
Just to clear a few things up. Carnauba waxes are great, but only a percentage of the wax is carnauba. If the actual wax is composed of more than 50% carnauba, it will not be easy to use, that is why almost all waxes have a low percentage of actual carnauba.

Sealants, like you said are very durable as well. One point to make is that waxes will bond to sealants, but not the other way around. I will often seal a car, then after a cure time, wax it to add the deep wet look. Another great point is the solvents used in waxes. If it is a pure wax without cleaning properties, you can often layer it. You can even layer a wax a few times without too many issues. The problem is, waxes will not hold for more than a few layers before they become redundant. Meaning you should not wax the car every week unless you want to effectively remove the prior weeks wax. Detailing sprays are made for that, after a wash, use the detail spray to keep the wax going strong. 2 layers of wax is sufficient to provide adequate, even coverage to insure everything is covered. Literally, the second coat is not for extra protection, but to make sure every area of the vehicle is protected.

Some companies claim to have products that blend carnauba waxes with synthetic polymers, but I have never tried one. A lot of people in the detail industry steer away from these products - though I'm not sure why.

Funny thing here. Most of your waxes are blends. A pure wax will not last long at all, it needs the polymers. A lot of sealants have extras in them too, there are only a few pure sealants out there. A few of your waxes that cost a few thousand dollars a tin have been broken down and analyzed and the findings were that the composition was almost completely synthetic
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
Rep:10
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

I have a product called dry wash it's like a wax but it cleans and polishes at same time , wash tr and then use it and you can tell the difference right away , when you get done and throw a cloth on it it slides right off . works on everything wheels bumpers crome.wheels being rims not tires .do a spot at a time wipe on and off right away . not sure how long it lasts still testing it .

Last edited by eltoro2; 06-25-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
Rep:10
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Thanks for this great advice, I have been using cloth towels,opps. Where can I get the microfiber ones, under what brand name ?
yes microfiber is the only way to go . no scratches use them only .
Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:12
three percent hero is on a distinguished road

Yeah, pure carnauba is solid at room temperature, so you'll never find a wax that is pure carnauba. Some advertise 100% pure carnauba, but all that means is that the carnauba in the wax is 100% pure. You'd have a hard time finding a carnauba wax that's more than about 35% carnauba. That's where the solvents and stuff come in, but I haven't seen them blend it with synthetics too often...

As for the microfiber towels, I buy them at Sam's Club, but you can get them anywhere. Brand doesn't matter, as long as they're microfiber.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Pearl Blue Metallic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:75
jayhkr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jayhkr

If you guys want a lot of good info and product knowledge (with videos!) check out Autogeek.net and take a look at Mike Phillips video posts (in the forum section) He has everything from washing, drying, waxing, buffing, polishing, more than you can imagine. He is a pro and very widely known in the detailing world.

My personal suggestion would be to wax between 4-6 weeks and do a wax cleaner every other time. Those of you who are only waxing every 6 months, I'd love to see how your car beads after, say 8 weeks of regular weather. Little-lone if you have rain every few days or a couple times a week. Even the greatest nuba waxes won't give you much protection after about 2 months, MAYBE 3 if you keep it garaged all the time. Just be sure to use a cleaner wax and you'll be fine.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:364
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Another good site is autopia.org. It is a free worldwide professional detailer site. There is a wealth of information about DIY and different products. They will also answer most of your questions about products and detailing in general.
Jay
Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 1500 Quad Cab SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Rep:22
hockeyplaya13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
Another good site is autopia.org. It is a free worldwide professional detailer site. There is a wealth of information about DIY and different products. They will also answer most of your questions about products and detailing in general.
Jay
I second this post. Excellent forum, I frequent it daily. I know jaykr has been posting there lately too.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Atlantic Pearl Blue Metallic
Rep:75
jayhkr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jayhkr

Uh oh- busted! I've been having issues with the server acting slow for me, so I've been on AG's forum recently.