DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
mxfireman is on a distinguished road
Default not running

My son has a 97 dodge 5.9 auto 4x4. he was driving his truck a couple of days ago and when he got to about 70 mph on the highway his truck would cut out and backfire, as long as he stayed below about 70 the truck seemed to run normally and this is the first time this has happened. then yesterday he pulled out of the neighbor hood and it died and won't strt it turns over fine just won't start. the first thing I did was disconnect the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail that feeds the injecters and when I turn it over it doesn't pump feul out I am guessing that it could be a bad fuel pump but I just wanted to make sure that it would pump fuel when disconnected so I am not buying an expensive fuel pump that may not be the problem.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Could also be a bad relay. You should be able to find it in the under-hood relay box. If I'm wrong about the location, I'm sure someone will correct me.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 360
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Blue - Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:77
Moonlighter will become famous soon enough

Yes the fuel pump relay is in the under hood box, switch it with one you know is good for testing purposes. Check and see if you get fuel, if not your aiming for the pump unit, Start with a basic power check to the pump and make sure you didn't loose power from the fuse box to the pump then if you have power it's more than likely the fuel pump, with that you either take the bed off or drop the tank to get to it. Ibelieve they are one complete unit fuel sender/pump/fuel filter all in one. However for those of you who would like better gas millage you can just replace the fuel filter without having to get a new pump. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

I'm sure you have over 100,000 miles on it . If it's the original pump I would venture to say the pump has failed .