DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Warranty Issues

Notices

Dodge Ram Warranty Issues Discuss your Dodge Ram Warranty in this forum.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default Prove It!

Lately there's been a lot of debate on what mods will and won't void your warranty. The phrase "the dealer has to prove it caused a problem" has been thrown around quite a bit and I have a couple of thoughts on that.

First and foremost is that it is a lot easier for a dealer to prove a mod (such as a CAI) caused an internal engine problem than it is for a customer to prove that it didn't. Example: we disassemble a worn out engine that's got a CAI installed with low compression on a couple of cylinders. If we find the walls on those cylinders are scratches, it's possible that we could void the warranty based on that, especially if the filter appears dirty. How would you go about proving that the CAI didn't cause this problem?

Now, with that being said, I'll say this - the relationship you have with your dealers service department comes into play in a situation like this. A customer that comes in for regular services in addition to any warranty work will stand a much better chance of getting that problem covered under warranty than the one that only comes in for the $17.95 oil change special or warranty work. Paris is a great example of a customer that keeps a good working relationship with her local service department.

What gets covered and what doesn't can even come down to the technician that is working on your pride and joy. I've worked with guys that will try to void a warranty for anything they can. I typically try to overlook most mods if I'm not 100% sure it caused a problem.

My best advice is to check with the service department you use if there are any questions about a mod you want to do. Some mods are best left alone until the warranty expires unless you con't care about the warranty.

One more thing to keep in mind is that a mod that voids one aspect of your warranty will NOT void the entire warranty. Let's say you put a tuner on your engine. While it can void your powertrain, it's not going to void the warranty on something like your electrical or body. Even with w tuner on an engine, I wouldn't void it for something like a water pump failure.

Warranties are somewhat tricky waters to navigate and these are just a few of my thoughts and do not reflect any official Chrysler policy currently in place.
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:10
ericautopart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ericautopart

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
erm

Oh wow!!! A NAISSO linky??? Damn...haven't seen those in a while.

Was a lifetime member of that organization until someone stole my ImpalaSS.

The Magnusson Moss Act is still a bit vague about who is liable for repairs under warranty when the vehicle has been modified. Obviously, a body rust through failure cannot be disclaimed because the owner installed an aftermarket stereo.

But that kind of divergence is not normally the issue.

The case that Randy describes above would be more typical where one engine assembly is modified and another one fails.

The Act provides for a process to file, negotiate or even arbitrate a dispute between the OEM and the purchaser.

Truly, you do not have to take the dealer's position on a failure being attributed to a modification as the final word if you wish to protest.

My experience has been that a long term, working relationship with your dealer and the service advisors goes a long way to reaching agreement on repairs, costs and warranty issues.

I'm kind of going through that right now. I am a repeat customer at this dealership (3 vehicles purchased there) and I have developed the relationship with two of the service advisors and the service manager. They take good care of me and I'm grateful.

I even bribe them... On hot summer afternoons, I'll take a cooler full of ice cold Snapples to the crew. If I am dropping off a vehicle in the morning, I will stop at a local bakery and get a couple dozen mixed donuts/bearclaws/maplebars and drop them off. First of all, they seem to like the goodies and I truly do appreciate what they do for me as a customer.

So a little relationship building and goodwill goes a long way.

I'm pretty sure Randy isn't opposed to donuts...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You can throw up the Magnusson-Moss warranty act all day long and it doesn't matter. Aftermarket brand parts that meet OEM specs are covered by this but altering the factory equipment is not.

Last edited by RamTech; 08-11-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Bribery works well! It doesn't have to be high dollar stuff either; plain old glazed doughnuts are just fine!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:851
RockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RockyRam

Will this work?

Have a Gray Ram?? Join the Mineral Gray Metallic Ramz Group!!!
http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=21

"Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Old 08-11-2010, 12:12 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Great, I'm hungry now
Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Bribery works well! It doesn't have to be high dollar stuff either; plain old glazed doughnuts are just fine!
It isn't a bribe...it's appreciation for all you do.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metallic Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
918Dodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
You can throw up the Magnusson-Moss warranty act all day long and it doesn't matter. Aftermarket brand parts that meet OEM specs are covered by this but altering the factory equipment is not.
Let me clarify.. Say I put a flowmaster on my truck in replacement of the factory muffler, it won't void any warranties? I was told that only mopar parts will keep from voiding the warranty.

2010 Ram1500/SLT/RCSB/+Hemi
Old 08-11-2010, 01:15 PM

No, the Flowmaster will not void your warranty.Tthe M-M warranty act says that the manufacturer cannot insist that you buy their brand parts to maintain your warranty. If they tell you that you must run their brand part to keep your warranty intact, they are obligated to provide that part free of charge. By that same token, if an aftermarket part fails causing damage, the factory warranty isn't obligated to cover the damage but the manufacturer of the failed part may offer some sort of coverage.