DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
jaybull is on a distinguished road
Default leveling kit problems?

I'm just new here and have a question right of the bat. I figured i should join since i read everything on here anyhow.lol. My question is about my leveling kit i installed on my 06 1500 4x4 quad cab. I installed the 2'' leveling kit from daystar on my truck with no real problems. It was a little hard to get the driver side steering arm back into the upper balljoint but i figured it out. Then i got a wheel alignment done right away. Just a few problems, in 4x4 it seems to have problems turning tightly and also anything past 60kph it starts to vibrate. In 4 wheel low it is worse for turning. My tires also look like they are wearing strange. Any ideas? I'm thinking of pulling the lift out. Thanks jay.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I have the 2" Daystar kit on my 07 Ram and I have the same problem when engaging 4WD. I having mine taken off this Thursday because of the death wobble. Basically your only two options are to take it out or deal with the wobble.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM
erm

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. There's gotta be a fix for the wobble with the Daystar kit. Either of you call them?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM

City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Sorry to hear you are having a problem. There's gotta be a fix for the wobble with the Daystar kit. Either of you call them?
I took my truck to my shop and they called for me. They basically said they hear about like 1 in every 100 trucks complain about the "death wobble". I just happen to be in that category. Removing the spacer should do the fix, so that's what I'm doing.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM
erm

Well, don't that just suck.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Yeah, it sucks. I have an appointment set for Thursday to have the spacers taken out, tires rotated & balanced, and shackles for the rear installed to help with the rake.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

The vibration is caused due to the half shafts being on a higher angle. You can correct this by lowering the front diff. If you take a look at lift kits they correct this by bringing everything back to stock height and angles. Since you are just putting spacers on you dont have the parts to do this. You can try contacting a company that makes these lift kits and see if you can buy just the part you need to stop the vibration.

The next thing you could do is buy a lift kit to correct it all.

The vibration is not death wobble. Death wobble is caused by the tires and steering going back and forth very hard and rapidly. You cant control the truck when this happens, you just have to hold on for the ride haha. The Daystar leveling kit does not do anything wrong, it is just lacking the parts that you need to correct the vibration you are having. I have the same problem in my truck right now since I too have a leveling kit in. I have the Bilstein 5100s in not the Daystar kit.
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights

Last edited by ScatPak07; 08-22-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:21 PM

They told me the next time I'm at a red light, switch on 4wd and drive in a straight line, and if the truck starts to shake rapidly back and forth (like it did for me) the best thing to do would be to take out the leveling kit.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
jaybull is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 View Post
They told me the next time I'm at a red light, switch on 4wd and drive in a straight line, and if the truck starts to shake rapidly back and forth (like it did for me) the best thing to do would be to take out the leveling kit.
Ya take it out and eat the cash you spent for kit and alinement ect ect. I hate when you buy a product that don't work. 1 in a 100? i bet they say that to every guy that buys the kit. Junk. I'm gonna be out 300 buck all for nothing. Not including my time for install. There should be a thread or fourm just for problems relating to products that don't do what they say or the problems that come with the gear we buy. I searched on net about my 06 1500 4x4 for problems with leveling kits and came up with nothing. That 300 buck could have got my tow hook kit. God dam no tow hooks on a 4x4. lol what was i or dodge thinking?lol Thanks guys.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Yeah, it's not something I was planning on doing, but I really need 4wd with winter approaching. So it's what I have to do.