DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Sport HEMI
Trim Level: Sport Hemi
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
amendola2001 is on a distinguished road
Default MPG Questions,,, after mods

Hi, I recently added a K&N air intake and single inlet dual outlet exhaust with a flowmaster 40. I have been riding in tow/haul on regular streets to cnacel out MDS becuase i can't stand the sound and feel of the truck when it engages. Usually when tow/haul starts getting to high of rpm's on highway and i am up to speed I double click and put it back into OD. I end up playing with the pedal a bit cause depending on traffic the MDS kicks in and again sounds like crap, here in the G.T.A. there is always traffic and i tend to be on and off trying to keep MDS from kicking in,,,.

I guess my quesiton is why has my MPG dropped noticably? it didnt the first few tanks well not noticably, i originally thought it was a lil better? the new mods are starting to wear off the new mod feeling and am slowly driving a little more normal and not looking to get the CAI to come out and the exhaust screaming and still it seems to be worse. I wonder if its a mix of driving with pedal on and off and using tow/haul alot, combined with tow/haul and how it shifts at higher rpms.

Will a DiabloSPredator be helpful while disabling MDS obvisouly but also being able to tune it for a more econimical drive during day-to-day work driving.

It may be a little while before i can afford the DSP but is there anything else i can do to help my truck out MPG's,, i was only getting 450-500km to a tank as it is so it's starting to cost me more to run. I already run synethic Mobil 1, do fuel system cleaners every oil change, have a CAI, and exhaust.

Could my wires and/or plugs need to be done? the truck has 69,000km and i got it at 53,000, about 4 months agao,,,

Well within my rambling cluster of words there are a few questions some of which i have kinda ask about before but not regarding MPGs, thanks for nay help....

and another thing, she has been running great havent noticed anything out of ordanairy but she has always felt sluggish to me in the low to mid range rpms, even after the couple simple mods though she did get a lil faster non the less which was one of the reasons i did these mods, but not as much added HP in the mid range rpms. Not looking for race truck speed but big truck that can carry it self without having to give it and get some better MPG's... Thanks again for any help
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
erm

The Predator U7137 tool will help a bit with the mileage issue, help you turn off that pesky MDS (which it sounds like you used before? If so, that may have been some benefit for the MPG) and will get rid of that sluggishness you feel.

What the Predator does is bring more HP and torque on lower in the RPM band, making the truck feel a lot more responsive.

Here's my dyno chart with a run before the Predator was installed and after it was installed. Note the change in torque and HP numbers between 2350 and 2700 RPM, just off idle. That's why it feels better and performs better in mid-range of the operating RPM band.

If the plugs and wires have not been changed, you are past due for that maintenance cycle item as well and it will help.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

consider doin an e-fan and take some load off the crank. also, what size wheels/tires are you runnin, probably need to re-gear to get the low end to perform better..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Sport HEMI
Trim Level: Sport Hemi
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
amendola2001 is on a distinguished road

wow,,, that is alot od great information,,,

I am running stock 17" 5-start alum rims with stock Goodyear wranglers (which i hate the road nooise and look off) but they are not needed for at least a season or two.

That dyno graph shows HUGE didfference in the lower to mid end power and can't wait for a programmer now... for sure. I hope that once MDS is gone that sluggishness will go away and i see now with your graph switching MDS off and giving a lil more hp and torque should help...

I am not sure if they changed them at the delaer but i doubt it as they will only change what needs to be and it was at 53,000km so wouldnt think they would,, I will look into new plugsd and wires,,, any particular wire set and plugs that do well in the Hemi?

where would i get a e-fan? i am guessing that would be an electric fan to take some strain off the motor.

Re-gear? what gears are better,,, what kinda costs am i looking at? is it a good hting to do for daily driver? I mean i drive it everywhere never take the wifes car anynmore but it is a work truck dont want to go crazy but slowly i would like to build a smoking truck that will be worth something or pass on to th wife when i get a new one in the next 3-5 years?

Thanks for all the help it has been very helpful.. also would the e-fan help the MPG too as it take strain of the crnak??? thanks for any more and all help,,,, I love this site,,, and so far after 20.000km plus i am loving dodge,,, (old Chev boy),,,,