DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing


Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM
tjcin's Avatar
tjcin tjcin is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 50
Posts: 167
Gender: Male
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:25
tjcin is on a distinguished road
Default

I use a wax from Chemical Guys called Pete's 53. It never really dries and therefore leaves no white residue behind. It is a paste, but it is really oily, almost like a liquid. If you got it on black trim you obviously would see it. But you don't get that white line in your door jambs like a hard paste wax leaves.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Leadfootluke Leadfootluke is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 420
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 7
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
I found the best black detailer for plastic! I am going to post a thread since it is so good!

Its called Black Wow. This stuff works wonders and it is the best thing I have used on the black plastic pieces! I could not believe how well it worked on my door handles. I would suggest it to any and everyone!

Here is the link to a web site that explains it --> http://www.showcarsupplies.com/bw/
I am glad you were happy with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcin View Post
I use a wax from Chemical Guys called Pete's 53. It never really dries and therefore leaves no white residue behind. It is a paste, but it is really oily, almost like a liquid. If you got it on black trim you obviously would see it. But you don't get that white line in your door jambs like a hard paste wax leaves.
I use Collinite 845. It is a little known wax [to the public] but widely used by professionals and enthusiests. It is a liquid wax that protects the paint better than almost any other wax available and it's cheap too. I have used many different waxes, but I find 845 as a go-to wax for trim. Like others suggested, there are ways of cleaning wax off of the trim, and when it is clean, I apply 845 which protects the trim, adds a waxed look, and does not stain.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 AM
strang3majik's Avatar
strang3majik strang3majik is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hanover, PA
Age: 22
Posts: 1,068
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 6
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about
Default

Just a word of warning...

That ICE stuff is a great product...but...it IS NOT wax, nor is it a wax substitute. I had so many people tell me how great it was, etc....and, my Conquest always did look good after going over it with it. Well...a year went by, and my new paint job turned grey.

Come to find out...ICE is not a wax, only a polish, thus exposing my black paint for a year in FLorida without wax...which killed it.

So...wax first...then ICE. So, no matter what, you have the white residue.

If you have a black vehicle, though...the Black Box stuff is excellent. Made said faded black Conquest look like brand new paint again.
__________________

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Leadfootluke Leadfootluke is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 420
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 7
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
I found the best black detailer for plastic! I am going to post a thread since it is so good!

Its called Black Wow. This stuff works wonders and it is the best thing I have used on the black plastic pieces! I could not believe how well it worked on my door handles. I would suggest it to any and everyone!

Here is the link to a web site that explains it --> http://www.showcarsupplies.com/bw/
Quote:
Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
Just a word of warning...

That ICE stuff is a great product...but...it IS NOT wax, nor is it a wax substitute. I had so many people tell me how great it was, etc....and, my Conquest always did look good after going over it with it. Well...a year went by, and my new paint job turned grey.

Come to find out...ICE is not a wax, only a polish, thus exposing my black paint for a year in FLorida without wax...which killed it.

So...wax first...then ICE. So, no matter what, you have the white residue.

If you have a black vehicle, though...the Black Box stuff is excellent. Made said faded black Conquest look like brand new paint again.
Turtle wax has a funny way of wording stuff. The "polish" does not polish. It is actually a synthetic wax.

If your finish turned grey, it is possibly because you were using turtle wax in the first place. Turtle wax used to be one of the more popular waxes, but recently, the waxes [or polishes] are bottom tier. I did like the ICE for maintaining, it worked well, but I would in no way use it as protection. In a test panel on a few vehicles, Ice lasted one wash before coming off completely.

The black box, although works to fill imperfections, is still a bit of a gimmick. There is no substitution for actually polishing the paint and putting a reputable wax on. It will work for most users, but if you get a chance, polish the paint and wax it, versus the black box. You will be more happy in the end.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 AM
strang3majik's Avatar
strang3majik strang3majik is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hanover, PA
Age: 22
Posts: 1,068
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 6
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
Turtle wax has a funny way of wording stuff. The "polish" does not polish. It is actually a synthetic wax.

If your finish turned grey, it is possibly because you were using turtle wax in the first place. Turtle wax used to be one of the more popular waxes, but recently, the waxes [or polishes] are bottom tier. I did like the ICE for maintaining, it worked well, but I would in no way use it as protection. In a test panel on a few vehicles, Ice lasted one wash before coming off completely.

The black box, although works to fill imperfections, is still a bit of a gimmick. There is no substitution for actually polishing the paint and putting a reputable wax on. It will work for most users, but if you get a chance, polish the paint and wax it, versus the black box. You will be more happy in the end.
When I waxed my truck for the first time with the new paint (its 2 months old now)...I used Meguiars wax (actual solid, regular wax)...then, I went over that with the black box. Looks great.

But...turtle wax advertises it as a polish and not a wax. Its just a synthetic compound that does a great job at shining. As you said...don't use that as your only protection.
__________________

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Leadfootluke Leadfootluke is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 420
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 7
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
When I waxed my truck for the first time with the new paint (its 2 months old now)...I used Meguiars wax (actual solid, regular wax)...then, I went over that with the black box. Looks great.

But...turtle wax advertises it as a polish and not a wax. Its just a synthetic compound that does a great job at shining. As you said...don't use that as your only protection.
Correct. Even Zaino uses the word polish for their protection though, so it is up to the consumer to know what they are looking for
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Pull Ya's Avatar
Pull Ya Pull Ya is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cedar Creek, Tx
Posts: 1,181
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice
Default

I have used Zanio for years. In my experience their "protection" lasts for about 6-8 months. If you want a little extra "kick" you can always apply a wax over Zanio but IMO the wax will only last 6-8 weeks. It is not my intention to start a pissing match about which products are better than whose--I'm just stating my experiences.
Jay
__________________
Just cause it's loud doesn't mean it's fast and just cause it's shiney doesn't mean it's protected.
Semper Fi Forever
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum