DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Sport QC 4x4
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
thewhitneys1 is on a distinguished road
Default Whining noise when accelerating

Hello all! I have read many threads on here but this is the first time posting.

I recently traveled over 1k miles pulling a 4k lb. travel trailer through the Appalachian mountains from Maryland to Ohio. About 200 miles into the trip I noticed my antifreeze spewing everywhere (due to a cap not closed properly). Approximately another 200 miles into the trip, while ascending a 2400' mountain, I lost all power while going about 20 mph @ 4000 rpms (tranny overheated). Once this happened, my ABS and Emerg. Brake light came on, and the speedometer and odometer stopped working.

I made the trip to and from after refilling the coolant and the truck seemed to run okay. Luckily my GPS has a speedometer on it.

I just got the truck out of the shop, apparently my rear speed sensor on the diff broke off into the pumpkin which caused metal to disperse everywhere. I replaced the rear speed sensor and did a full tranny flush. Now, when I step on the gas (either accelerating or just to keep moving) I hear a whining sound. Talking to my mechanic, he thinks I might need to get the rear diff rebuilt.

Anyone experience anything similar? How much does a rear diff cost to be rebuilt?

Open for assistance!

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Troybigred79 is on a distinguished road

Hey Alex, it's odd that the speed sensor would have just broken off and fell into the differential assembly without it being hit or something. but if indeed that's the case and metal debris did contaminate the axel lube and bearings, the problem sounds like the pinion bearing has gone bad if it only happens under acceleration. i'm going to say a rear diff rebuild ( thats bearings, seals,lube, sealant and labor) would be around 300-500, if for some reason you would need new pinion gear and ring gear set the cost would be much higher. Hope this helps you out any.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks. They took off the pumpkin cover and cleaned out some metal debris and all. I'll give it a few and see if it goes away - then check again.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitneys1 View Post
Thanks. They took off the pumpkin cover and cleaned out some metal debris and all. I'll give it a few and see if it goes away - then check again.
Good luck but I'm with Troy on this one. I'm betting something has came loose and smacked the speed sensor. Judging by your post they haven't pulled the diff cover as of yet?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

They did pull the diff cover off and found metal particals as a result of the speed sensor falling into the diff. They cleaned it out and replaced the fluid. I just am concerned with the whining. On other posts I have read that flushing the tranny could assist and I had that done. The sound definitely is coming from the rear of the truck. The mechanic said to give it a while and if it continues I might need to look into having the rear diff rebuilt. My concern is I pull a 3500-4000lb camper here and there and don't want to cause any issues - especially when pulling it.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If your rear diff is whining, and changing the fluid didn't make a difference then the damage is already done. It will only get worse.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:34
tuckertrucker is on a distinguished road
Default Rear End Whine

I have the same prob I replaced the lube. Also checked for metal particals nothing found to speak of. I still have the sound mostly when in coast mood.
I can feel the vib in the steering wheel and the pedals is this possible. I tow a boat also. Any ans would be helpfull.

Thanks
tuckertrucker