DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: white
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
ccdelay is on a distinguished road
Default Backlash setting

hello this is my first posting. glad to be here and excited for anyones help.

so i have a 1998 4x4 1500 5.2. anyways my pinion bearing went out and i am about halfway through putting it back together (waiting on parts) i had a few clutch plates broken so thats what im waiting on. hard to find just a clutch pack by the way.

so my question is how to set my back lash. there are no shems in the rear end but on the left and right of the housing is two threaded ajustment things. how tight do i set those against the bearings and how do i keep them from getting lose? then also i dont have the measuring tool to set the gap for my back lash so is there an easy way to just guesstimate it?

oh and sorry but last question, for my wear pattern, the only way to adjust that is by what maybe a new crush sleeve? crush sleeve shem?

any information would help.

thanks
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You need quite a few special tools and measuring devices to properly set up the rear end. If you didn't remove the pinon gear, your depth should be ok. The backlash procedure is listed below.

DIFFERENTIAL BEARING PRELOAD AND GEAR BACKLASH

The following must be considered when adjusting bearing preload and gear backlash:
  • The maximum ring gear backlash variation is 0.003 inch (0.076 mm)
  • Mark the gears so the same teeth are meshed during all backlash measurements.
  • Maintain the torque while adjusting the bearing preload and ring gear backlash.
  • Excessive adjuster torque will introduce a high bearing load and cause premature bearing failure. Insufficient adjuster torque can result in excessive differential case free-play and ring gear noise.
  • Insufficient adjuster torque will not support the ring gear correctly and can cause excessive differential case free-play and ring gear noise.
NOTE: The differential bearing cups will not always immediately follow the threaded adjusters as they are moved during adjustment. To ensure accurate bearing cup responses to the adjustments:
Maintain the gear teeth engaged (meshed) as marked.
The bearings must be seated by rapidly rotating the pinion gear a half turn back and forth.

Do this five to ten times each time the threaded adjusters are adjusted.
  1. Use Wrench C-4164 to adjust each threaded adjuster inward until the differential bearing free-play is eliminated. Allow some ring gear backlash (approximately 0.01 inch/0.25 mm) between the ring and pinion gear. Seat the bearing cups with the procedure described above..
  2. Install dial indicator and position the plunger against the drive side of a ring gear tooth. Measure the backlash at 4 positions (90 degrees apart) around the ring gear. Locate and mark the area of minimum backlash.
  3. Rotate the ring gear to the position of the least backlash. Mark the gear so that all future backlash measurements will be taken with the same gear teeth meshed..
  4. Loosen the right-side, tighten the left-side threaded adjuster. Obtain backlash of 0.003 to 0.004 inch (0.076 to 0.102 mm) with each adjuster tightened to 14 Nm (10 ft. lbs.) Seat the bearing cups with the procedure described above.
  5. Tighten the differential bearing cap bolts to 136 Nm (100 ft. lbs.);
  6. Tighten the right-side threaded adjuster to 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) Seat the bearing cups with the procedure described above. Continue to tighten the right-side adjuster and seat bearing cups until the torque remains constant at 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.)
  7. Measure the ring gear backlash. The range of backlash is 0.006 to 0.008 inch (0.15 to 0.203 mm)
  8. Continue increasing the torque at the right-side threaded adjuster until the specified backlash is obtained NOTE: The left-side threaded adjuster torque should have approximately 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) If the torque is considerably less, the complete adjustment procedure must be repeated.
  9. Tighten the left-side threaded adjuster until 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) torque is indicated. Seat the bearing rollers with the procedure described above. Do this until the torque remains constant.
  10. Install the threaded adjuster locks and tighten the lock screws to 10 Nm (90 in. lbs.)
After the proper backlash is achieved, perform the Gear Contact Analysis procedure.