DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
DaddyT is on a distinguished road
Default Rear blocks

Need to level out the rear end of my truck by lifting it appox. 2" and would like some suggestions and opinions on what methods to use. Use of blocks, add-a-leafs or even extended shackle perches or ??? The 2'" factory block is still installed on the truck and replacing it with a 4" block has me scratching my head for some reason.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM
erm

Adding height via a larger block is the easiest solution but the ride is gonna get pretty darn harsh. If it were my truck, I'd go with a set of add-a-leafs. That way you have springs which will travel, and absorb road bumps and shocks vs. solid blocks which transmit every bump right to your diff tubes.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

Your front end is sitting higher than your rear???????????????
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yup, I failed to mention I recently installed a set of 2" lift coils but I thought it would level out the rake it normally has. Now my truck has this pre-runner look which is ok but not what I wanted.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey MADDOG, I must be missing something or just not understanding the physics. I understand the add-a-leafs will allow spring travel movement but won't it also make the ride just as harsh/stiffer simply by its intended design. How does a block change the ride characteristics while maintaining the stock (softer) spring? Bear with me I'm try'n to learn something.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Does anyone know if removing the stock 2" block and replacing it w/a 4" block cause me to extend my driveshaft or lower my transmission? Will this mean I am actually doing a 2" or 4" lift? I was wondering if the stock 2" block has already pulled out the driveshaft slightly from the tailhousing and 2 inches more might completly disengage the driveshft from the transmission.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyT View Post
Does anyone know if removing the stock 2" block and replacing it w/a 4" block cause me to extend my driveshaft or lower my transmission? Will this mean I am actually doing a 2" or 4" lift? I was wondering if the stock 2" block has already pulled out the driveshaft slightly from the tailhousing and 2 inches more might completly disengage the driveshft from the transmission.
Background: I have a 3 inch BDS AAL which is in an "offroad" spring pack which gives me almost 5 inches of lift over a stock ram. I use the factory block.

I have no issues with my driveshaft, although it does stick out of the tailshaft about 3/4 inch more than stock.
A 4 inch block will lift your rear axle about 2 inches.
I'm not a fan of taller blocks or stacking blocks. Because of the direction the pinion moves under acceleration (upward). Taller or stacked blocks create a longer leverage point. This can cause or increase axle wrap which can lead to wheel hop under accelleration and braking.
Add a leafs (AAL) while more difficult to install, bend your stock springs to create lift. While this can lead to a much firmer ride, it also avoids the pitfalls of blocks.
IMO..."long style" AALs are the best choice. Short AALs are way too stiff. They can cause spring damage and give a VERY harsh ride.

EDIT: Eventually your new front springs will settle enough to level out the truck.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 09-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
Background: I have a 3 inch BDS AAL which is in an "offroad" spring pack which gives me almost 5 inches of lift over a stock ram. I use the factory block.

I have no issues with my driveshaft, although it does stick out of the tailshaft about 3/4 inch more than stock.
A 4 inch block will lift your rear axle about 2 inches.
I'm not a fan of taller blocks or stacking blocks. Because of the direction the pinion moves under acceleration (upward). Taller or stacked blocks create a longer leverage point. This can cause or increase axle wrap which can lead to wheel hop under accelleration and braking.
Add a leafs (AAL) while more difficult to install, bend your stock springs to create lift. While this can lead to a much firmer ride, it also avoids the pitfalls of blocks.
IMO..."long style" AALs are the best choice. Short AALs are way too stiff. They can cause spring damage and give a VERY harsh ride.

EDIT: Eventually your new front springs will settle enough to level out the truck.
Since my truck will probably only see pavement should I be that concerned about wheel hop and axle wrap? the reason for swapping out the front springs was because the previous owner had cut the originals and the lift coils were cheaper than stock replacements. It has settled about an inch already but still sits taller in front. I just want to level everything out or a slight front rake would be acceptable.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Wheel hop can occur anytime torque (twist) overcomes traction (friction). It can happen on pavement or rough surfaces. It sets up a harmoninc movement that continues untill torque is reduced...or something goes >BANG<.
I should note that adding a longer block doesn't mean you'll have issues, only that it increases the potential, just like any other mod. In other words...I've seen stock suspensions with high powered motors have this problem.