DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about
Default Y-pipe dimensions

It's my birthday tomorrow and my wife is going to get me (read as let me get) an Aeroturbine AT3030. Based on recommendation from some of you all I think I'll also get a high flow Y-pipe to take full advantage ... but I don't know the specs. I know fromthe Y back the diameter is 3", what about in front? 2.5" or 3"? Any recommendations on a brand for the Y? I see magnaflow makes them in all logical I/O combinations.

Thanks for any advice.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 AM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the bump Nick.

In case anyone is wondering ... I just climbed out from under the truck with a string and a tape measure.

Measuring the pipe with the tape was worthless. It it almost all bend and the only good straight potion is where the driverside pipe crosses under the trans. pan and the pipe is crimped there! I'll break here for a momentary rant. WTF. There seem like plenty of room too me for the pipe to cross under without being flattened onthe top. What Chrysler was thinking here is a mystery to me. It would seem to me that with the extra bends and the flattened pipe that the driverside gas preasure would be fundimentally higher as a result of more restrictive piping . That can't be good. I repeat ... WTF Chrysler. Back on topic now. In any case, I wrapped a peice of string around a straight (uncrimped) section to get the circumference and did the math to get 2.47" diameter. That must be 2.5" and my measurement is just slightly off.

So my next question is ... if I pick up a 2.5"X3" high flow Y-pipe, how difficult is it going to be for the muffler shop guys to install? I mean there is not a lot of space between the Cat and the Y-pipe on the passenger side and almost all of it is already bent. Is installation going to nessesitate replacing the pipe from the Cat back to the Y? Also does it seem reasonable to ask them to cut out the flat section under the trans. pan and have the replaced with a round piece as well. Is there any reason for that bit to be flat aside from clearance? My truck is not 4X4 and doesn't go off road aside from mild dirt roads when camping so I'm not real worried about bottoming out.

In any case ... help.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2008 4.7l Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
4pnt7 is on a distinguished road

Removing all crimped pipe will help out allot. Its so restricted. You will notice a difference and most see a gain in power and mpg. Keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
MidwestJ is on a distinguished road

bump for you bud.

I just ordered one from Auto Anything. Hopefully it'll be here before Saturday as that's when I have an appt with the muffler man to install a new magnaflow and hopefully this new y-pipe if it makes it here in time.

If we go through with the y-pipe install-I'll let you know how it went.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Any update GPSHSLAX ? How did you make out ?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:50 PM

Default Got it today

I beat around the bush for a while before purchase but I final ordered my 3030 and it got here today. Here is a crappy cell phone pic of it. I'll post more after it gets installed. I couldn't be happier with the price. I got it for $95 flat with free shipping.

I have decided not to do the Y-pipe for the time being. There were budgetary concerns as well as advice I got about waiting for warrenty to expire on the cat's before cutting into that part of the system as Chrysler has been known to void the warrenty for the whole setup since the cat's are welded and not bolted.

I'm excited. Let you all know how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aero.jpg (55.4 KB, 13 views)