DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough
Question Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shocks Question - 2010 Ram 4x4

Ordered the Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks for my truck. They should be in by the weekend. Not sure when I will get the time to put them on, but hopefully soon. My question is for those of you who have installed the 5100's (or maybe helped install)... Do you need to separate any ball joints to do the job? By looking at them online it looks like disconnecting the sway bar ends and using a strut compressor would get the struts out of there, but looks can be deceiving via online pics. I will probably pop a wheel off and evaluate the job when they arrive, but I was curious if any 'Ram Vets' on here might have some tips, or could answer that for me. A link with install instructions would be greatly appreciated too if possible. Thanks all!
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

hpc3 installed them on his truck:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....138#post295138
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM

FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

Thanks a million for that link. Could not find a link to save my life when searching. I replied to hpc3's post on that thread. He mentioned posting an install thread, hoping he'll get back to me soon and post it. Thanks again!!
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

No problem, I hope he gets back to you ASAP
Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to consider/remember if you install them yourself. You 'WILL' need a front end alignment after they are installed, especially if you set them to other than the factory height.....which is usually why you would invest in the 5100's.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
One thing to consider/remember if you install them yourself. You 'WILL' need a front end alignment after they are installed, especially if you set them to other than the factory height.....which is usually why you would invest in the 5100's.
Definitely! I got them in today. They look pretty sweet. I am going to go the 2.1" setting after seeing hpc3's truck. I may attempt it this weekend, and will schedule an alignment early next week. Now I just have to shop for some new rims and rubber, the oem 17's might look a bit small for a while, but I plan to fill out the fenders a little in the coming months. I will have some before and after shots when all is said and done. Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Anyone seen hpc3? I was going to try and attempt this tomorrow. How about this... Does anyone know if the strut assembly can be removed from the truck without compressing the spring or popping the upper ball joint loose?

By visual inspection I think dropping the a arm down without loosening anything except the sway bar end-link will work. Of course, a pry bar will definitely be in order. I think it will have enough drop to get the assembly out though. I really don't want to pop that ball joint loose if I can help it... as for the compressing... I don't think it can be done with the assembly still in the truck, not enough room. I know I will need to compress it to get the spring off the coil though.

All help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2004
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
semichigan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to semichigan

Any news on this?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semichigan View Post
Any news on this?
There just really isn't much info on the Bilstein installation, but I know using the Bilsteins is not the most used form of lifting as well, so most may not have a lot of info. Not problem really. I actually priced a local wheel and suspension shop to do the job and they said $150 to install the struts and do the needed alignment. I really thought that was a good deal since shop labor rate are topping $75 in some shops. I scheduled the appt for Tuesday as one post on a different forum said that 6 hours for a shadetree mechanic is the norm... I really would rather pay to have it done I guess based on that. I will post some before and after pics. I can't wait to get it done! Tried to schedule it today, but he denied that pretty quick!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 AM

Guys, I'm having some second thoughts on my leveling due to some horror stories I've been reading on here about bad vibration. I do not want vibration, but I also really hate the raked look. Since I'm doing the Bilstein 5100's, I am considering going with the 1.4" setting that the shock provides instead of the 2.1". I am thinking this for 2 reasons actually... 1.4" might still provide a slight rake for towing (which I don't do a lot of, but still do on occasion), and more importantly, it might lessen any chances for the vibration. I need some suggestions here. What do you all think? Should I chance the 2.1" lift or go down a notch to the 1.4" setting?