DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
girlyman51 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Muffler with MDS (little drone)

I'm waiting for my 2011 R/T to come in and have been reading about exhaust drone when the MDS kicks in. I want to know which is the best muffler replacement to get some sound and with the littlest drone. I'm just replacing the muffler and leaving the resonaters on. I am looking for some HELP!
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

you shouldn't have any problems if you are leaving the resonators on.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyman51 View Post
I'm waiting for my 2011 R/T to come in and have been reading about exhaust drone when the MDS kicks in. I want to know which is the best muffler replacement to get some sound and with the littlest drone. I'm just replacing the muffler and leaving the resonaters on. I am looking for some HELP!
I went with the 22" magnaflow (same muffler that comes with the complete catback kit) under Speedfreaks recommendation and absolutely love it! The muffler sound? Rated 1 thru 10 .. as stock being 1 and a super 40 Flowmaster I had in my other truck a 10. Id say the 22" magnaflow a 3 at initial installation, no drone. After 3 weeks burn in about a 4 with no drone. I then took the resonators off after a month.. say my truck is about a 4.5 with a very very slight audible in MDS kicking in and out..where you can just tell its on. But the hemi motor sounds simply awesome, when on it, mostly motor sound..completely satifisfied..just want to share my personal experience with it and good luck with your choice I dont think there is any performance gain in removing the resonators because they flow right thru but just the same they weigh about 10lbs for the pair. Congratulations on the R/T

Last edited by autobred; 11-10-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

i have no resonators on. i got headers and my magnaflow exhaust sounds great

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the R/T!!! I hear Magnaflow is one of the best for not getting that MDS drone.

Sad to say, but even with the stock R/T exhaust, I can hear it just a bit when it kicks in at really low speeds.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget about Flowmaster! Even though everyone said it would produce some drone, I put one on my 2010 and left the resonators on and it sounds great! The little amount of drone it produces doesn't bother me at all!

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
jwhitney41 is on a distinguished road

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right thread for this post , but here goes;
I have 2014 2500 4x4 Big Horn edition with a 5.7 HEMI.
My questions is this; There is a small, what I am assuming is a muffler about 12" long at the rear of the truck just above the passenger side rear tire. Is this muffler really necessary and can I remove it? I notice a fairly large round muffler underneath and question why there are two mufflers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

IMHO---After two 4th gen 1500's w/ the 5.7 this has been my experience. If you change the stock muffler when your truck's MDS kicks in, your truck will sound like sh*t! It sounds like your exhaust system is under water. The only way to fix this problem is to; leave the stock muffler on, buy a tuner and turn the MDS off, keep your truck from going into overdrive, or turn up the radio so you can't hear it. You can spend as much money for a new muffler system as you like but I'm afraid you will get the same results. They all sound good----before the MDS kicks in. This is just my experience, I'm sure there are others that have no complaints.
Jay
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
sunshdw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice420 View Post
Don't forget about Flowmaster! Even though everyone said it would produce some drone, I put one on my 2010 and left the resonators on and it sounds great! The little amount of drone it produces doesn't bother me at all!
This!! I, too, went the Flowmaster route and I really like the sound. The drone is minimal with the MDS and loud when you stomp on it.

JJ
2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
2013 Nash 23D RV
2003 600RR Race Bike
K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Diablo W/WL tuning, CC
Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough

Holy 4 year thread revival Batman

I just installed a Magnaflow 22" muffler and it is perfect. I had a 2011 with the 14' Maggy and it droned when MDS kicked in at cruising speed. The Slowmasters, sorry, Flowmasters drone just as bad, besides; I would rather have the straight thru design instead of the chambers like the stock muffler.

Now that I have the 2014, I wanted a nice deep rumble, yet no drone so I went with the 22" and LOVE it, absolutely ZERO drone. The wife loves it as well; she liked my other muffler, but hated the reverberation the other muffler gave off while on the highway.