DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
69beeguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 69beeguy
Default thanks for the suggestions rancherman

i wanted to use a windage tray, but i had to check with ma mopar herself to make sure that the LA tray and the magnum would be interchangeable. fortunately they are. if there is enough money in the budget left then i will purchase a used one off e bay as well as a crank scraper from www.crank-scrapers.com.
i didnt know about the reversing the piston idea. will this decrease the life of the bearing/rings at all? remember i have to survive a 24 hour endurance race.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

rancherman -
i was checking into the spark plug idea. not really filing the electrode down, but just gapping them larger (as well as indexing them on the head). there is a company on Ebay that sells a coil that puts out 42k volts. the Accel coil puts out up to 45k. the no name company sells theirs at $25 vs Accel's $45. i know this doesnt sound like much but $20 will count in the end. also the no name company's coil is all black vs Accel's yellow. so if a tech inspector opens the hood and sees a yellow coil, they might be apt to give us penalty laps.
does anybody know anything about this other company?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
ShaneO is on a distinguished road

In the type of racing your gonna do, leave it bone stock. If the motor runs good, dont crack it open. If your running the EFI, a good tune is all I would do. Your going to have more power than you need, so put the money into the suspension. Cant use the power if you cant get around corners very well. Make sure your cooling system is perfect, thats going to a big deal for running long periods of time. Transmission is another problem spot, get a good cooler for it (unless you are running a 4-speed), maybe even consider a manual valve body.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

oops, sorry for the necro post........
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Probably shoeing a magnum into an A body and trying to get the ECM stuff and the fuel delivery right is about gonna eat your budget up. You'll need the correct fuel pump and filter, and have to wire in the ECM.

An enduro car...its about finishing the race, not horsepower. You need reliability so I'd skip the high compression type stuff and work on keeping things together. That means checking bearing clearences and and having good oil pressure and a reliable cooling system and transmission.
As far as handling goes, make sure you have good shocks, your sway bar bushings aren't shot, and you have plenty of good matching tires.
A big hi horsepower motor is useless if your front wheel bearings sieze or your tranny overheats, or a fanbelt breaks. These are the thiings you want to spend your money on.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i think that you are over thinking that race
first of all there may be well over 100 vehicles on the track at the same time, there is no way that you are ever going to need performance products, you just need to be there at the finish line. Endurance is the name of the game, an engine that will last, a decent fuel pump, good tires & a couple of spares, suspension that won't break

this is the promotional video
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

although similar, chumpcar is different from lemons. at chumpcar races, they rarely get over 40 cars per event. at the BIR event this year they had 30 (or so) that started and 21 finished. chumpcar is racing with a side of spectacle, lemons is the other way around.
anyway, i bought a set of headers for a whopping $1 off ebay (NIB). i looked into the coil thing. both the accel and stock are the same voltage wise primary and secondary. i found a 5.9 magnum from a u pull it yard for $100. it had 83k on it and a blown head gasket. i checked all the bearings and no excessive wear. they hardly were broken in. i am going with the HV oil pump and adding the hp spring. there was a little water in the head to i think a valve job is in order, but i am just going to true up the head as far as milling goes. i gasket matched the intake, heads and polished the throttle body. the 5.2 cam has a better profile, so i will find one of those from that same yard. other than that, im not messing with the rest of the internals.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69beeguy View Post
although similar, chumpcar is different from lemons. at chumpcar races, they rarely get over 40 cars per event. at the BIR event this year they had 30 (or so) that started and 21 finished. chumpcar is racing with a side of spectacle, lemons is the other way around.
anyway, i bought a set of headers for a whopping $1 off ebay (NIB). i looked into the coil thing. both the accel and stock are the same voltage wise primary and secondary. i found a 5.9 magnum from a u pull it yard for $100. it had 83k on it and a blown head gasket. i checked all the bearings and no excessive wear. they hardly were broken in. i am going with the HV oil pump and adding the hp spring. there was a little water in the head to i think a valve job is in order, but i am just going to true up the head as far as milling goes. i gasket matched the intake, heads and polished the throttle body. the 5.2 cam has a better profile, so i will find one of those from that same yard. other than that, im not messing with the rest of the internals.
Watch out for those budget headers, thye usually have problems staying sealed up to the heads, heck even some higher end headers just dont seal as well as they should.. Stock Cast Iron manifolds will work great, and be ultra reliable. Lemons or Chump it is the same thing, getting low cost cars to run competitive for little money. I am on a team that is doing the next Chicago LeMons race. We are using a 95 Caprice wagon painted like the family truckster in National Lampoons vacation. The stock LT1 is the perfect choice, plenty of power, so its staying stock. Our sister team is the Punisher racing team running a 9c1 Caprice cop car of 95 vintage also, and placed second in South Carolina a few years ago. It is stock motor also, has plenty of power so the focus was on making it go left and right better than stock. Trust me, quit worrying about power, with a 360 in an A body, you will have more than enough power, make sure it gets to the ground well and can go around a corner quickly or all the power in the world will not help you. Reliability is the key though, make sure it runs the whole time, 7 hours of WOT racing is hard on a car and motor. Spend your money on reliability first. And dont forget, that while not part of the $500 budget, tires are not a cheap expense, and you will need more than 1 set. Good sticky tires are super important!

Most all, have fun!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

they were hedman headers. somebody was just trying to get rid of them. nobody but me bid. good for me i guess.
i have plans for the suspension as well. the car is at a friends house (90min away) and i have the engine here. that is why i ask all the engine quesitons. trust me, if i could pick the archer brother brains, i certainly would.
we plan to test the car at the track beforehand to work out the bugs/adjust the suspension.