DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Rep:10
deadly milkman is on a distinguished road
Default How do I remove rain-x film from windshield?

Looks like my windshield has a film of dirt on it but it only shows up when it's raining and my wipers go over it.. I've googled enough to figure out it's a silicone film that comes from rain-x but I haven't been able to find a definite answer as to how to remove it..

Does anyone else have this problem/know how to clean it off?
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I found this, read carefully, NO abrasives

http://www.ehow.com/how_5063279_remove-rain-x.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

Try using vinegar and a lint free cloth (vinegar is a light acid). Spray it on and let sit 1 or 2 min, use use the cloth to clean the wipers as well. Careful not to get it in the paint cause it will remove the wax.

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

If you do not have tint, you can use 0000 steel wool and a window cleaner.

You can also try Isopropyl Alcohol [rubbing alcohol].

I use Stoners Invisible Glass + Rain Repellant. Basically does what Rain-X does, but it just sprays on, cleans the windows, and protects them. No film.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickerred View Post
Try using vinegar and a lint free cloth (vinegar is a light acid). Spray it on and let sit 1 or 2 min, use use the cloth to clean the wipers as well. Careful not to get it in the paint cause it will remove the wax.
From what I've read anything that will remove this rain-x coating on the windshield is gonna also remove the wax on my truck if I get it on the paint.. so would dawn dishwashing liquid be just as sketchy or even more dangerous than all the other methods of removing? (.. i have the dishwashing liquid handy already)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
If you do not have tint, you can use 0000 steel wool and a window cleaner.

You can also try Isopropyl Alcohol [rubbing alcohol].

I use Stoners Invisible Glass + Rain Repellant. Basically does what Rain-X does, but it just sprays on, cleans the windows, and protects them. No film.
Will that Invisible Glass stuff remove the coating by itself? Says it removes grease and everything. Or do I need something stronger?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

I was gonna say Vinegar or Alcohol..

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly milkman View Post
From what I've read anything that will remove this rain-x coating on the windshield is gonna also remove the wax on my truck if I get it on the paint.. so would dawn dishwashing liquid be just as sketchy or even more dangerous than all the other methods of removing? (.. i have the dishwashing liquid handy already)

Will that Invisible Glass stuff remove the coating by itself? Says it removes grease and everything. Or do I need something stronger?
I use the SIG all the time with great results. I have not tested it on windshield films though. Yes anything you use on the glass [rubbing alcohol, SIG, dawn, etc] will remove the wax as well. I would get the invisible glass, and even if it doesn't remove it initially, it will be a great investment in glass cleaning
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM

Alright I just used "Invisible Glass" cleaner all by itself yesterday (2 coatings. spray on, sit for a few, wipe off) and it seems to have cleared most of it off. It rained again today and I can't really see any more spots of gunk like I used too when the wipers go over it.

There's still a small amount of film left but it might be from the wiper blades because I forgot to wipe those off. When I wash my truck this weekend after the rain stops I'll be sure to wipe down the windows a few more times with Invisible Glass.. so for anyone wondering the same thing on how to get rain-x off.. the stuff seems to work.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly milkman View Post
Alright I just used "Invisible Glass" cleaner all by itself yesterday (2 coatings. spray on, sit for a few, wipe off) and it seems to have cleared most of it off. It rained again today and I can't really see any more spots of gunk like I used too when the wipers go over it.

There's still a small amount of film left but it might be from the wiper blades because I forgot to wipe those off. When I wash my truck this weekend after the rain stops I'll be sure to wipe down the windows a few more times with Invisible Glass.. so for anyone wondering the same thing on how to get rain-x off.. the stuff seems to work.
I have found SIG to clean very well and I'm not surprised it worked. Like you did, foam the window and let it sit for a minute, and go back and wipe it all off. After I wipe the cleaner off, I take a seperate dry towel and buff the windshield. It takes an additional 30 seconds, but will ensure all of the residue is removed from the cleaner. Works great on the inside and out