DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad CAB 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT 5-Speed
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Chet Stedman is on a distinguished road
Default Need Some Help Guys! Truck won't start :-(

Hey guys, I'll try to make this quick and to the point. This past weekend I was on the hi-way and the engine starting to act up. It would not accelerate past 65MPH and the truck was shaking very hard. There was also a knocking noise coming from the engine. I do all the work on my truck so I started investigating. I personally though it was the plugs/Cap or rotor. To my discovery half the plugs were junk and the cap and rotor were in bad shape, so I swapped them out with all brand new quality parts from VIP. Now the engine will NOT START. There are no Sparks coming from any of the plugs either. The coil also has no spark when I try to turn it over. Do you think I fried the computer or coil?? Any Ideas guys???

1999 Ram Sport 1500
5.2 V-8
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

Did you replace the plug wires? You could test your coil with a new wire. Try this:

(1) To set up the test, remove one spark plug wire from its plug, then remove the spark plug using a spark plug socket. Next put the spark plug back into the spark plug wire. Be careful not to let anything drop into the empty spark plug hole -- very bad. Holding the plug wire with insulated pliers, find a spot on the engine that is a good and easily accessible grounding point. Pretty much any exposed metal, including the engine itself, will do.

Holding the spark plug wire with your pliers, touch the threaded portion of the spark plug to the grounding point. Have somebody crank the engine with the key, and look for a bright blue spark to jump across the spark plug gap. If you see a nice, bright spark (clearly visible in daylight) your coil is doing its job.

(2) Using a multimeter: Find the resistance specifications for your car's primary coil winding in your repair manual. Then using a multimeter, place the leads on the smaller, outside poles if you have a traditional round coil, or on the indicated poles if you have a newer enclosed unit. If the reading is within the range indicated in your manual, your primary winding is ok and you can go on to the secondary test. if it is even a little out of spec, the coil should be replaced.
The secondary winding of your ignition coil delivers the spark to the distributor to be sent to the spark plugs. If it's bad, you'll get a weak spark or no spark at all.

To test the coil's secondary winding, attach the test probes to the outer 12V pole and the center pole (where the main wire goes to the distributor). Determine the resistance and check to see if it's within the range indicated in your repair manual. If it is, your coil is up to the task. If it's even slightly out of range, your coil should be replaced.

Good Luck Let us know how you make out.

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
erm

And is there any power getting to the coil?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 AM

Ok so far I've replaced all plugs and wires as well as the cap and rotor. Still no spark, I tested the coil and checked the fuses, still no spark. I replaced the crank position sensor and boom first try my engine fires right up, but it is running very lean possibly on 4 or 5 cylinders and stalls often. This never happened before the day it started acting up. I think it needs a new distributor which I just dont have the tools for doing myself.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

How are you determining that it's running too lean? Are you getting P codes of any kind?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 AM

I've got 0 codes through all of these problems. I'm going by what it feels like since I know how it runs when its correct. It has very limited power. The Dist. Cap has a screw that was broken by the previos owner so it is only screwed in on one side (screw is broken in the thread) So its also possible that the rotor is misfiring inside the cap. Either way I dont have the means of doing that job :-( which hurts the most.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sounds like it's time to check fuel pressure and volume.