DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
sritter is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant dissappearing

It's been one week today since I picked up my '06 1500 with the 5.7.

When I brought it home the first day I noticed the coolant reserve tank was basically empty.

I filled it up and have noticed that I am loosing coolant somewhere.

The reserve goes down about an inch a day.

The oil looks good. The radiator is full. I've looked around the front of the engine area above and from underneath and can't find any leaks. The truck is garaged and their is nothing on the floor. It drives fine, the heat works, etc. It doesn't over heat, I noticed the temp guage's routine seem to be to warm up to the half way mark and then kick down a bit and stay there.

There is a coolant smell after driving the truck and pulling into the garage.

The Chevy dealer I bought it from (hey, it was hard to find the truck I wanted) said they replaced the water pump. I'd rather not have to go back as they are pretty far away, and well, a Chevy dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you have examined things pretty thuroughly but a couple questions. Does your oil look at all milky? Also does your exhaust get white and smokey after the truck warms up? You could have a very slight leak in the head gasket such that you are leaking a little bit of coolant into the block but only when only the engine temp get's up and the preasure increases. This would explain why you are losing coolant but can't find the leak. Since you have been on top of it and keeping the reservour full it would also explain why you're not overheating yet.

Just a thought.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.

Last edited by GPSHSLAX; 10-08-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Hi,

Oil looks perfect, exhaust is clear.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried to driving it to get it up to temp then stoping and checking for leaks etc. while still running? You could do this when you get home from daily commute, etc. but before you head inside.

Also since you've only had it a week, keep your eye on that oil color in case it just isent noticable yet.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM

I drove it up to speed and then turned it off and checked for leaks, but not while running will try that.

The smell seems to be coming from the radiator area and I'm starting to wonder if I should try a new radiator cap, could it be evaperating?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Keep it simple to begin with. Have the cooling system and cap pressure tested to check for leaks.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 PM

Alright guys, I went out this morning (vacation day) and decided I'd go get a radiator cap, $5 worth a try, checked the level and it hadn't dropped. Drove to get the cap and returned (30 mile round trip, I live in a rural area) and no drop. Drove it a few times today and still no drop. After it warms up it is going about 3/4" above the full line, when cold back to the full line.

I have no theory other than the dealer, after replacing the water pump, didn't put enough coolant in to fill the system, if that is even possible.

The only other thing I did before replacing the cap, and looking for leaks, was take it off twice checking the radiator level so I suppose I could have reseated it before replacing.

Odd. I'll keep my eye on it.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Take the radiator cap to a garage and see if they have the tools to pressure test it . It should maintain the psi thats stated on the cap . If it doesn't the cap is bad .
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sritter View Post
Alright guys, I went out this morning (vacation day) and decided I'd go get a radiator cap, $5 worth a try, checked the level and it hadn't dropped. Drove to get the cap and returned (30 mile round trip, I live in a rural area) and no drop. Drove it a few times today and still no drop. After it warms up it is going about 3/4" above the full line, when cold back to the full line.

I have no theory other than the dealer, after replacing the water pump, didn't put enough coolant in to fill the system, if that is even possible.

The only other thing I did before replacing the cap, and looking for leaks, was take it off twice checking the radiator level so I suppose I could have reseated it before replacing.

Odd. I'll keep my eye on it.
Do let us know how it turns out. Intermitant problems are a bitch to diagnose.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Whenever I get a cooling system problem in the shop, I always pressure test the cap regardless of any obvious problems. You'd be amazed how many are bad - I'd say at least 50 percent. A bad cap can cause coolant loss without any obvious signs of leaking.