DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
vabch22 vabch22 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 11
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vabch22 is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 Ram 1500 QC - System Planning Questions

Hey guys,

Need some input from the pros and everyone else. I've been running stock w/ a 7 speaker infinity system (non-nav) because I didn't want to loose the free Sirius, but miss having a quality system.

I mostly listen to rock and some techno/hip hop/industrial. This project will be done in chunks, so here's what I was thinking.

Phase 1 - Replace HU and front speakers running of 4 chan amp.
  • Do I need the PAC Canbus adapter (C2r-CHY4) or can I just use the Merta amp bypass harness (70-6504)?
Phase 2 - Add some mid-bass/bass in the rear doors (maybe a 6 1/2 driver if it will fit)
  • Any suggestions for this?
  • Should I even worry about it or just wait until I can do a sub?
Phase 3 - Add a single 10" or two 10"s and sound proof the floors and doors
  • Plan on getting a custom box and putting it on the 60 split side of the rear seat.
  • Rear channel of amp bridged to power sub (maybe a 5 channel amp instead or separate amp later)
HU:

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Fronts:

Option #1 CXS62 V.2 - Image Dynamics 6.5" 2 ohm Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7173/CXS62-V2--Image-Dynamics-65"-2-ohm-Component-System.htm

Option #2 UR6S - DLS 6.5" Ultimate Reference 2-Way Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9184/UR6S--DLS-65"-Ultimate-Reference-2Way-Component-System.htm

Option #3 PC3.65C - Precision Power 6.5" Power Class Series 3 Way Component System http://www.woofersetc.com/p9224/PC365C--Precision-Power-65"-Power-Class-Series-3-Way-Component-System.htm

Also looking at some Focal's and Rainbow's (various models)

Rears:

None - maybe some 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 mid-bass/sub woofers if they will fit and it's worth the effort/cost

Subs:

Still looking into subs with a shallow mounting depth of less than 6"

Amps:

JL Audio XD or HD series amp depending on build. Build will also determine 4 channel, 5 channel, or two separate amps.
  • Located under drivers seat (option 1)
  • Mounted under the rear seat on the 40 side if I only do the 1 sub option
Also have heard good things about the IA 6.4 digital amp. This is an option for $400.

Let me know what ya'll think or best routes to go. I think that's it, getting side tracked at work. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
StoneyWV StoneyWV is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 385
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep Power: 0
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road
Default

Great System plan you have

I really like the ID's for the front. I just like the manufacturer and haven't seen or heard anything bad from them yet.
The new Alpine shallow mount Type R's are getting great reviews and can be placed in a really small enclosure. They are rated for about .5-.75 for the 12 inch model. My RE SRX is pretty shallow mounting depth as well for full size 12inch model sub.
Sounds like you have it planned out nicely. I would probably add some low powered rear fill speakers run off the deck for fill.
That JL amp should fit under the drivers seat to save some space.
__________________
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 AM
moparmike07's Avatar
moparmike07 moparmike07 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NY
Age: 25
Posts: 2,489
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough
Default

You want a flip out. My friends got that in his ram he said he didn't like the whole flip out. With a double that what I going to do in my 07 ram. Just haven't figure out what HU I want. But its up to you that sounds like a good list
__________________

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
vabch22 vabch22 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 11
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vabch22 is on a distinguished road
Default

I didn't want a flip out, but didn't want to have to buy a new bezel for a double din, and then the cost was more. Amazon had 30% off Pioneer products, so I got the 5200bt for $300 which was the same I was looking spending for the Kenwood, but got a DVD screen so why not? Plus it has an 8 band EQ. I am for sure buying an extended warranty due to the fact it is motorized and flip out.. who knows what will break.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Kenwood x994 which is an awesome unit, but then saw the Pio so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've never had a flip out, so if it's terrible, I'll sell it and go with the Kenwood.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
StoneyWV StoneyWV is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 385
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep Power: 0
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road
Default

I've installed two flip up units in cars and they are both over two years now with no issues. I think you will be fine.
__________________
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM
vabch22 vabch22 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 11
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vabch22 is on a distinguished road
Default

Ok so I've decided on a RF T1500-bdCP amp for the two 12" IDQ subs. I will be using an old OPTI 4X400D amp for the front CXS62 comps w/ no rear fill currently.

Will 4awg power and ground be ok for this? For the dist. block, should I do 4awg to 4awg out to the amps?

Also, I was going to do 14 or 16awg for the front speakers and 12awg for the subs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM
dodgeman70592's Avatar
dodgeman70592 dodgeman70592 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Youngwood, PA (currently)
Age: 34
Posts: 5,642
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 11
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
Ok so I've decided on a RF T1500-bdCP amp for the two 12" IDQ subs. I will be using an old OPTI 4X400D amp for the front CXS62 comps w/ no rear fill currently.

Will 4awg power and ground be ok for this? For the dist. block, should I do 4awg to 4awg out to the amps?

Also, I was going to do 14 or 16awg for the front speakers and 12awg for the subs.
I would run 2 ga into ditro, 4 ga to the RF and 8 ga to the Opti...

Speaker wires look good to me, that's what I run..
__________________

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM
colingibb colingibb is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 39
Posts: 57
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
Hey guys,

Need some input from the pros and everyone else. I've been running stock w/ a 7 speaker infinity system (non-nav) because I didn't want to loose the free Sirius, but miss having a quality system.

I mostly listen to rock and some techno/hip hop/industrial. This project will be done in chunks, so here's what I was thinking.

Phase 1 - Replace HU and front speakers running of 4 chan amp.
  • Do I need the PAC Canbus adapter (C2r-CHY4) or can I just use the Merta amp bypass harness (70-6504)?
Phase 2 - Add some mid-bass/bass in the rear doors (maybe a 6 1/2 driver if it will fit)
  • Any suggestions for this?
  • Should I even worry about it or just wait until I can do a sub?
Phase 3 - Add a single 10" or two 10"s and sound proof the floors and doors
  • Plan on getting a custom box and putting it on the 60 split side of the rear seat.
  • Rear channel of amp bridged to power sub (maybe a 5 channel amp instead or separate amp later)
HU:

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Fronts:

Option #1 CXS62 V.2 - Image Dynamics 6.5" 2 ohm Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7173/CXS62-V2--Image-Dynamics-65"-2-ohm-Component-System.htm

Option #2 UR6S - DLS 6.5" Ultimate Reference 2-Way Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9184/UR6S--DLS-65"-Ultimate-Reference-2Way-Component-System.htm

Option #3 PC3.65C - Precision Power 6.5" Power Class Series 3 Way Component System http://www.woofersetc.com/p9224/PC365C--Precision-Power-65"-Power-Class-Series-3-Way-Component-System.htm

Also looking at some Focal's and Rainbow's (various models)

Rears:

None - maybe some 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 mid-bass/sub woofers if they will fit and it's worth the effort/cost

Subs:

Still looking into subs with a shallow mounting depth of less than 6"

Amps:

JL Audio XD or HD series amp depending on build. Build will also determine 4 channel, 5 channel, or two separate amps.
  • Located under drivers seat (option 1)
  • Mounted under the rear seat on the 40 side if I only do the 1 sub option
Also have heard good things about the IA 6.4 digital amp. This is an option for $400.

Let me know what ya'll think or best routes to go. I think that's it, getting side tracked at work. Thanks!
Once my Free Sirius expired, I bought a new head unit, and subscribed to Sirius for the regular 12.95/month price. I then called about a week later to cancel, because I was disappointing with the sound quality, and they offered me a price of $20 for 5 months -- that's $4/month. I can live with that, and it's worth it to be able to have a new H/U.
For reference I replaced by 1.5 DIN Stock H/U with a Clarion nx500 with both the HD Radio and Sirius Add-ons. (Got these for free with the $50 gift card that came with the NX500 and then $100 gift card I got back because they reduced the price by $100 right after I bought it). I am very happy with this Setup
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
vabch22 vabch22 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 33
Posts: 11
Gender: Male
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
vabch22 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman70592 View Post
I would run 2 ga into ditro, 4 ga to the RF and 8 ga to the Opti...

Speaker wires look good to me, that's what I run..
Great, thanks for the info. I was looking through your build log, very nice. I am going to run two 4 awg wire to both amps. I will use a dist block when I add a 3rd amp for my 4" dash speakers.

On that note, all you people who have done the research/trial/error already... I have my ID woofers in the doors. Questions:

1. For best staging, should I place the tweeters in the pillars or leave them in the doors next to the woofer?

2. I plan adding ID CTX 4" speakers to the dash and running on a separate amp. What is the best way to do this so I don't screw up the imaging/sound/staging?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM
dodgeman70592's Avatar
dodgeman70592 dodgeman70592 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Youngwood, PA (currently)
Age: 34
Posts: 5,642
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 11
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future
Default

Keep the tweets for the components within 8" or so from the woofer..

Adding dash speakers and getting the correct imaging can be tricky, best bet is to bandpass the dash speakers by using the HP filter off the amp and addin inductors to the speakers. Before you go too far, try the system with the comps first, you may like it. Adding more drivers can become a headache...
__________________

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum