DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab, 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red/Sandstone
Rep:91
dgard61 will become famous soon enough
Default BT Oil Catch Can

Received the Billet Tech Oil Catch Can last week. Only 4 days from time of placing order. Ordered the satin finish, going to attempt to polish it myself. Will follow up post with results on the polishing & install later. Here are a few pic's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2386.jpg (89.2 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2387.jpg (91.1 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2388.jpg (90.9 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2390.jpg (89.0 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2391.jpg (94.5 KB, 426 views)
Vent Visor's, Bug Deflector, Chrome Fuel Door, Bak Flip G2 Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, EZ Down Tailgate Dampener, Line X Spray in Box Liner, WeatherTech Winter Mats, Husky Moulded Mud Flaps, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, 12" S/S Antenna Mast, Chrome T/G Handle, Mopar CAI, Painted Engine Cover, Billet Tech Polished Underhood Cap's, Front Window Tint, Billet Hitch Cover, Anti-Theft Valve Cap's, MGP Caliper Covers, Retractable S/S Stake Pocket Anchors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Recon LED Light Bar, Polished Billet Lock Pins, Mopar S/S Door Sills, Interior LED's, Mopar LED Cargo Bed Lights, Billet Throttle Body Cover
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Looks nice, looking forward to the install pics.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Patriot BLUE & Khaki
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BighornDriver is on a distinguished road

Great looking parts. What do they do?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 AM
The official Z night owl

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BighornDriver View Post
Great looking parts. What do they do?
Correct me if I'm wrong here guys (pretty sure I am lol). I think it catches the small droplets of oil collected by the intake. Or something along those lines.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:27 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:639
chefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to all

yup...that's it..
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM
erm

Nice piece! I have a black anodized one on my SRT. I can't put one on my truck (internal PCV system) and that sucks.

The catch can is placed in the PCV return circuit to capture oil that would normally go into your intake and, eventually, into the throttle body (carbon/sludge buildup), the intake manifold valley (puddles of oil) and your cylinders (more sludge, carboned up plugs) so it's a good thing to install!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Cab, 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red/Sandstone
Rep:91
dgard61 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgard61 View Post
Received the Billet Tech Oil Catch Can last week. Only 4 days from time of placing order. Ordered the satin finish, going to attempt to polish it myself. Will follow up post with results on the polishing & install later. Here are a few pic's.
Well got the catch can polished. It came out pretty good. Could have got it better but the old fingers just about had it. Decided to install it today. (Weather cooperated)

1. Took off the engine cover and the intake tube(required)before removing intake tube unplug the Inlet air temperature electrical connection. Also removed the air filter box(not required but makes it a little easier to work). Filter box just lifts straight up off it's locating pins.

2. Remove the PCV tube from the PCV Valve and the Throttle Body.Some members have had trouble removing the tube from the throttle body. Got lucky, mine came off with very little problem.

3. Attach catch can with Z bracket to the threaded hole on the front right side cylinder head.(Hole closest to the bottom of cyl head.)

4. Attach long hose to PCV valve and the short hose to the Throttle Body. This is where I did alot of pushing, wiggle, twist, lube, curse etc., and the problem was I ordered the black braided lines from Billet Tech. The fitting's on the can are a little smaller than the PCV and Throttle body fittings. The hose fits the catch can perfectly. Ended up putting the ends in boiling water for a few minutes managed to get them on. Cut hoses to length and attach to catch can.(went on with no problem)

5. Reinstall the engine cover(make sure the 2 pins on the back go into the grommets at the back of the engine compartment)Drop air filter box back into location and attach intake tube(don't forget to plug in the Inlet air temperature electrical connection.)

6. Overall it took me approx 1 1/2 hrs. 1 hr of that was spent trying to get the hoses on the PVC valve and Throttle Body. A step stool is a requirement for doing just about anything in the engine compartment(Well I'm also vertically challenged)The only tools required were a Std screw driver and a 13mm socket wrench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2392.jpg (94.5 KB, 1183 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2396.jpg (88.1 KB, 1047 views)
File Type: jpg PCV Tube2.jpg (138.3 KB, 1445 views)
File Type: jpg Cyl Head Hole2.jpg (127.1 KB, 1354 views)
File Type: jpg Z Bracket Mount2.jpg (120.3 KB, 1318 views)
File Type: jpg PCV Valve.jpg (103.0 KB, 1299 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Body2.jpg (125.1 KB, 1325 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2424.jpg (127.3 KB, 1459 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2430.jpg (125.1 KB, 1370 views)
File Type: jpg Grommets.jpg (138.2 KB, 1423 views)
Vent Visor's, Bug Deflector, Chrome Fuel Door, Bak Flip G2 Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, EZ Down Tailgate Dampener, Line X Spray in Box Liner, WeatherTech Winter Mats, Husky Moulded Mud Flaps, Billet Tech Oil Catch Can, 12" S/S Antenna Mast, Chrome T/G Handle, Mopar CAI, Painted Engine Cover, Billet Tech Polished Underhood Cap's, Front Window Tint, Billet Hitch Cover, Anti-Theft Valve Cap's, MGP Caliper Covers, Retractable S/S Stake Pocket Anchors, Mopar Trailer Brake Controller, Recon LED Light Bar, Polished Billet Lock Pins, Mopar S/S Door Sills, Interior LED's, Mopar LED Cargo Bed Lights, Billet Throttle Body Cover
Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

nice looking setup, i have yet to install mine, i have been researching a different hose setup
if i could only find a PCV valve that was made of metal instead of plastic, i could make the changes that i want to make

after more research, a SMOG ONLY shop told me that the Catch Can would be a considered a MODIFICATION of the smog system, & that is not allowed in California, so it would NOT pass the visual inspection, even if it reduced emissions even more than the factory install. Then he told me that in 4 or 5 years when i would have to get my first smog inspection, the smog laws would be changed again, possibly in my favor.

I'll likely go ahead & install it for now, as it came in the box, although i wanted to go with threaded hose fittings
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Rep for that write up. Great pics as well.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
rick980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
nice looking setup, i have yet to install mine, i have been researching a different hose setup
if i could only find a PCV valve that was made of metal instead of plastic, i could make the changes that i want to make

after more research, a SMOG ONLY shop told me that the Catch Can would be a considered a MODIFICATION of the smog system, & that is not allowed in California, so it would NOT pass the visual inspection, even if it reduced emissions even more than the factory install. Then he told me that in 4 or 5 years when i would have to get my first smog inspection, the smog laws would be changed again, possibly in my favor.

I'll likely go ahead & install it for now, as it came in the box, although i wanted to go with threaded hose fittings
Just keep the original hose and put it on for inspections, should not be a big deal?