DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Lowering Springs???

Are there any rear lowering springs for 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4. I am going to get the 5100's and raise the front, but I want to raise front 1.5 and lower the rear the same to keep front CV's in line so I don't get 4X4 shake as most are getting.
Do they make a lowering spring already??
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
H3RAM is on a distinguished road

I posted earlier today in another thread to find out the same thing. I have 'googled' the hell out of this and all I can find for a 4x4 is the Ground Force lowering kit that runs upwards of $700. I just wanted to lower my rear 2" so the truck would fit in the garage. Surely we're not the only two people in America who want to do this.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road

Yea, it's funny to me that everyone wants to raise the front of the truck and mess up the cv's instead of just lowering the rear which would cost about half the price and allow you to use the factory wheels and tires without having to upsize to fill the gap.

I'm going to have a mechanic of mine work with me and I think we are going to cut the rear springs an inch and toss an airbag in there, or see if the factory SRT springs are a shorter dimension with stiffer spring rate.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I lowered the rear on my 07 4x4 1.5" with the Ground Force drop shackles, they were like $80. It'd be nice if they made them for the 4th gen Rams.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyWV View Post
I'm going to have a mechanic of mine work with me and I think we are going to cut the rear springs an inch and toss an airbag in there,
I was thinking about doing this also so I bought an extra set of springs. The guy would only sell all 4 as a package. This way if it doesn't work out I can put my stock ones back in. I'm still on deployment so obviously I have had time to do it yet.

My idea was to just cut part (not sure how much yet maybe half a coil) of a coil off and install it to see how it sits. If I like it cool. If not then take it out and cut a little more.

If you do it let us know how it works out as I'm starting to have second thoughts. Maybe it's just cause I'm tired and want to go home and watch football and relax I don't know.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I've read that one coil cut off the rear will do a 2" drop in the rear. My fear though, is the coils seem tapered on each end to properly seat in their mounts. Will cutting a coil off affect that in any way?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: White
Rep:35
kiddynamite is on a distinguished road

good question! i was wanting to do the same thing!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Slat Grey
Color: Bright White
Rep:23
Ntimidater is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010 sport 4x4 and I would love to set the rear down to level, I think the front looks good around the factory wheel so I want the back the same, if anyone tries it or finds anything else out please let me know
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
I've read that one coil cut off the rear will do a 2" drop in the rear. My fear though, is the coils seem tapered on each end to properly seat in their mounts. Will cutting a coil off affect that in any way?
I will let you know. Another concern is ride. These are progressive springs and if I cut a coil out it will probably stiffen up the ride a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntimidater View Post
I have a 2010 sport 4x4 and I would love to set the rear down to level, I think the front looks good around the factory wheel so I want the back the same, if anyone tries it or finds anything else out please let me know
Same here. I wasn't planning on messing with the front. Basically want to level the truck by bringing the rear down a little. I will probably install helper bags inside the rear coils too.

Something like this for when towing or hauling something that may cause the rear to squat.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...-air-bags.html
Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:10
H3RAM is on a distinguished road

I went over to a specialty 4x4 shop today and they put my truck on their lift with the intention of cutting some off the coils to lower the rear end. After looking at them they chickened out. The bottoms are tapered so it would have to be cut off the top of the coil. They thought it looked like the top was wrapped a little tighter and that the coil diameter was a little smaller at the top. If anyone has done this, is that true? Does the coil remain seated now that is a little shorter and there are no keepers on them? I would hate to have the springs fall out on a big bump some day although I do not intend to do any off-roading with the truck.