DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram QC 4x2
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
MotorCityRam is on a distinguished road

Tow/Haul pressed twice on the 4th gens just turns it off.

I thought 5th in tow/haul was actually the first OD. You get 5 as it uses 2nd prime.

2010 Quad Cap Sport 4x2 / Inferno Red / HEMI / 3.92s / leather / Truxedo Truxsport tonneau
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Copperhead Pearle
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SupermanWV is on a distinguished road

I was at a Truck Show in Winchester Kentucky this past weekend, and I spoke with a guy who's company sells aftermarket exhaust kits. MBPR I think is the name of the company. He doesn't sell programmers, but this is the info he gave me. He claimed that using a programmer to turn off MDS is the best thing to do, to end the drone and protect your investment (your truck). He claimed that when the truck is using MDS and only fireing 4 cylinders, the other 4 cylinders are still cranking in and out, but without lubrication, and without fireing to help with the movement. He claimed that this would wear out the cylinders in a shorter amount of time than just programming the truck so you get better gas mileage while using all 8 cylinders. After thinking about it, it made a lot of sence. PLUS...since he doesn't sell the programmers, he had nothing to gain by giving me the info, but trying to spread useful info.

Just something for you all to think about.

Does anyone on here have high mileage on their 5.7's with MDS, to see if that is a valid point?

Clark (SupermanWV)
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I agree those 4 cylinders are not getting fuel, but find it impossible to believe they are not getting lubricant.

Maybe Ramtech will chime in on this.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanWV View Post
I was at a Truck Show in Winchester Kentucky this past weekend, and I spoke with a guy who's company sells aftermarket exhaust kits. MBPR I think is the name of the company. He doesn't sell programmers, but this is the info he gave me. He claimed that using a programmer to turn off MDS is the best thing to do, to end the drone and protect your investment (your truck). He claimed that when the truck is using MDS and only fireing 4 cylinders, the other 4 cylinders are still cranking in and out, but without lubrication, and without fireing to help with the movement. He claimed that this would wear out the cylinders in a shorter amount of time than just programming the truck so you get better gas mileage while using all 8 cylinders. After thinking about it, it made a lot of sence. PLUS...since he doesn't sell the programmers, he had nothing to gain by giving me the info, but trying to spread useful info.

Just something for you all to think about.

Does anyone on here have high mileage on their 5.7's with MDS, to see if that is a valid point?

Clark (SupermanWV)
Interesting - Where does the claim that the (4) off cylinders are running ..."without lubrication..." come from? Yes, it is true that the MDS system uses oil pressure to engage and disengage but I seriously doubt it starves half the engine of lubrication. It's not as if a valve is closed and the (4) pistons are cycling dry! I'm sure there is a passage exposed to oil pressure that activates the system (cuts spark to the (4) cylinders) but the oil itself is still circulating through the entire engine. I'm sure Randy or one of the other techs can correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you really think Chrysler would put a system that led to unbalanced wear on the engine on a vehicle that gets a Lifetime Power Train Warranty? Me thinks that someone was trying to sell you on a concept that makes his product more attractive (with the MDS turned off the MBPR exhaust doesn't drone and you're more satisfied with his product - which does put food on his table).

Don't be fooled by the fact that MBPR doesn't sell programmers. Just something to think about.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLt/Lonestar Edition
Color: Mineral Gray Metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
Interesting - Where does the claim that the (4) off cylinders are running ..."without lubrication..." come from? Yes, it is true that the MDS system uses oil pressure to engage and disengage but I seriously doubt it starves half the engine of lubrication. It's not as if a valve is closed and the (4) pistons are cycling dry! I'm sure there is a passage exposed to oil pressure that activates the system (cuts spark to the (4) cylinders) but the oil itself is still circulating through the entire engine. I'm sure Randy or one of the other techs can correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you really think Chrysler would put a system that led to unbalanced wear on the engine on a vehicle that gets a Lifetime Power Train Warranty? Me thinks that someone was trying to sell you on a concept that makes his product more attractive (with the MDS turned off the MBPR exhaust doesn't drone and you're more satisfied with his product - which does put food on his table).

Don't be fooled by the fact that MBPR doesn't sell programmers. Just something to think about.
I agree.... If 4 cylinders were running dry you would more than likely cause excessive heat in those cylinders and blow a head gasket. at the very least you would burn up the rings and be burning oil like crazy.
2007 Ram 1500 QC w/ 5.7 Hemi, , Comp Cams XFI 260H-13, Diablosport Predator Tuner w/ Custom CMR Tune, Composite BFI with AMSOIL synthetic dry filter, Fastman Ported Throttle Body, BBK Shorty Headers, 14" Magnaflow, Doug's Headers 3" Electric Cutout, NGK spark plugs, Sonnax 545RFE Trans Line Booster, Jet 180* Tstat, AMSOIL oil & filter, SprintBooster, Billet Grill, GT Truck Products Fiberglass Bed cover, Liquid Metal wheels
Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

more than most people even want to know about MDS

Essentially MDS deactivates the valve lifters in four of the V8s cylinders, resulting in four closed valves and zero combustion in half the cylinders. Fortunately the “dead” cylinders dont drag energy from the working four, due to air being pumped through those cylinders temporarily out of action
The on-board engine-management computer controls the MDS. The four cylinders that can be deactivated are numbers 1,4,6 and 7. That includes the two inner cylinders on one back and the two outer cylinders on the opposing bank. By shutting down these specific cylinders at once, the engine can maintain regular 180-degree firings as a V4.
Hemi engineers designed the cylinder block with a specific oil circuit to support MDS. Four solenoids control oil pressure to eight specially designed hydraulic-roller lifters that control the intake and exhaust valves in the cylinders to be deactivated. When the solenoids are activated, high-pressure oil is fed to the lifters. A pin in each lifter is moved, disconnecting the outer portion of the lifter from the inner. The outer portion of the lifter continues to ride along the camshaft lobes but the inner portion, which supports the pushrod, remains still. With both valves closed, the engine computer also shuts off the spark and fuel to those cylinders.

another source says:
The MDS system uses four sets of lifters - Cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7 are turned off under light throttle steady cruise. The MDS solenoids engergize and unlock the special lifters (internally) to allow the pushrods, in those cylinders, to "float" inside the lifter. This way, the valves stay CLOSED on both sides (intake/exhaust), the injectors are turned OFF for those cylinders, and the burnt combustion mixture stays in the bore and acts as an "air spring". The PCM knows when the MDS is activated so it ignores mis-fires in those cylinders. Once either throttle angle is changed or a load is encountered, the MDS system turns off and everything runs as normal. The system is also monitored and does fire the cylinders at predetermined intervals to keep the cylinder temp (1,4,6,7) hot.

You don't want the valves to open when the MDS is running as this will cause more load on the engine (no "air spring" effect) and can also cause a reverse vacuum - piston travel on the up swing can suck oil past the rings and cause the chamber to fill with oil - eventually hydro-locking the cylinder(s).

You MUST run the required oil (5w20) or the MDS solenoids will open too late - there are ultra fine screens on the solenoid tips to prevent debris from getting into the solenoids...it also requires that the correct oil is used or it enters the solenoids too slowly. The PCM monitors this and trips the "incorrect oil used" (MIL). You can't change the cam in the MDS engines either as it affects the actual MDS system. You also can't convert a non-MDS Hemi to MDS as it requries: Lifters, Cam, Solenoids, PCM, and Wiring Harness.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Great find and post GT. Now about those "ultra fine" screens. When I see something like this, it rings a bell telling me that sooner or later those screens will need to be replaced.

Have you seen anything on this?
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

cant you just go into overdrive off?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 4x4 Sport
Color: Red
Rep:0
Kleeeen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydm View Post
I just tap the shifter over to stay in 5 then the drone is gone and it still shifts thru the gears when you come to a stop light too.

Same here!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
raymegacab is on a distinguished road

my beast does the drone with it on or off i have no resonator and told my muffler shop to dump the super 40 muffler right after the cab not knowing that it would drone that bad.