DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:24
sgreen3 is on a distinguished road
Default Heat ?

The truck in my sig for some reason is not blowing heat when switched to heat. I noticed the temp gauge rising an falling on the way home driving today. It will be in the middle an then go up an then fall back to the middle. Also noticed that air will start blowing out of the vents for no reason for a few seconds then it will stop when the switch is in the off position. Also it will blow out good an hot for like 5 seconds then turn to cold Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by sgreen3; 10-28-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Lot of things. First that comes to mind is when was the last time the entire cooling system including heater core were flushed and back-flushed? Second when was the thermostat changed?

As for the blower coming on by itself, that's an electrical problem. Switch sounds goofy to me. But could be other issues.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The heat coming and going sounds like a low coolant level. Start there. As for the blower motor, you may have a bad switch. Does it work correctly on other speeds?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

well i flushed the system today an installed a new t-stat. deffinatly needed done, it was like mud in there. I got the heat wrkin a lil bit now but still dont seem to be as warm as it should. Could you explain the back flush a lil more? Im pretty sure i didnt do that lol. an it seems to not be builing pressure? Thanks for ne an all help!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Hate to say it but I hope you didn't put all fresh new coolant in yet.

Here's how I would do it.

1. Drain the radiator.
2. Disconnect top and bottom hoses from the radiator.
3. Stuff the hose in the top port of the radiator and pump water through until it comes out nice and clear at the bottom.

4. Leave the radiator disconnected.
5. Disconnect both heater hoses.
6. Using low pressure at least until you get a nice clear stream flush the radiator using the top hose or port/connection.

7. Repeat the process with the bottom heater hose.

Once you have nice clear water coming through the heater you can increase water pressure but don't get carried away. Last thing you want is to blow out the heater core.

Button it all back up. Put WATER in the radiator. Run the truck till the temp gauge reads normal, you want the t-stat to open up. Turn on the heater to full hot. You should now have nice hot heat.

Once that's all done, shut down the truck and let it cool down. Drain all that water out which should be pretty clear.

Close up the drain and put in nice fresh coolant.

I agree with Ramtech, your blower switch is likely shot. You'll need to attend to it before you can do what I've written above.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ok thanks for the help. I did notice a wile ago when i went to town that you can here water gurgle from the heater box when you first start to excelarate. it will do this a few times an then it will stop untill you shut it of an come back to go somewere else again an it will do it again? Any ideas on why its not building ne pressure? I did put a new rad cap on? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Whenever you service the cooling system it is good practice to replace the radiator cap also . They don't last forever and their not real expensive .
Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yea i put a new one on
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Well I back flushed an everything, seems to have pretty good heat now. But for some reason still not building any pressure in the system. Kinda wired but its not overheating