DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
Sledneck42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Pretty unlikely that emissions have anything to do with it. They're cracking down harder on diesels now than gas engines.
If ya think about it.. It would be very tough to have mds and a manual trans. Its a direct link to the engine. No coast ability like with a torque converter and an auto trans. Then again... They don't offer the mds with the 4.7 only the hemi in the 1500. They never offered a manual trans with the larger displacement engine in the 1500 post-1994. 5.9 or 5.7. They only came in an auto in the 1500.
They do offer mds in the Challenger with a manual trans but then again, the Challenger weighs 3000lbs lighter and isn't expected to haul or tow anything.

I just find it odd they don't offer the manual trans in any truck other then the diesel. Obviously people still want them because they offer it. They just want ya to spend another 6K to get it.

I have done some searching on the internet about trucks and car companies not offering manual trans and have come up with nothing.
EPA is cracking down on auto makers and emissions. They have what's called "Emissions credits" Take Ford for example.. Trucks are there best selling autos. In order to build lets say 2000 heavy duty trucks that dont have MPG's listed and aren't as efficient must build 1500 ford focus cars to get there emissions rating level, across that years production. Build so many of "X" to be able to build more "Y". Big polluting companies will by credits from other companies.
Then again... I could be totally wrong.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You're right about the credits.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 RC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:55
USAF ram will become famous soon enough

people are lazy, thats it.... I'd love to have a 6-speed in mine.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck42 View Post
They do offer mds in the Challenger with a manual trans but then again
I believe that you're mistaken on the Challenger being available with a manual and MDS. The engine used in the manual tranny Challenger is rated at 375hp and 404 ft lbs of torque, where the automatic is rated at 370hp and 398 ft lbs of torque (quoted from allpar.com) The manual also does not have MDS

My wife drives a '10 Challenger RT Classic with the 6-sp manual. The lack of MDS was one of the biggest surprises for me when we bought the car last year.
The service adviser told me that the reason for no MDS was because the manual was unable to adjust as seamlessly as the automatic did.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

believe or not, even the big trucks like Freightliners, Internationals, & Volvos are going with some Allison automatics, 6 speeds on up
you will soon see some Allison type automatics in the Rams

The largest investment in the U.S. since the new Company was formed in June 2009 was aided by the approval of a tax abatement from the city of Kokomo. The investment will fund the installation of equipment and special tooling to modernize Indiana Transmission Plant I and the Kokomo Casting Plant. The project will extend the life of both manufacturing facilities and help retain nearly 1,200 jobs.

Chrysler Group has licensed the manufacturing rights from Friedrichshafen, Germany-based ZF Group to build the new eight-speed beginning in 2013. Included in this agreement is the purchase of transmissions manufactured by ZF.
Chrysler Group LLC will initially receive the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF Getriebe GmbH plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF is setting up a new transmission production plant in North America, where the 8-speed transmissions will be produced.[5]Friedrichshafen ZF and Chrysler Group LLC have reached a supply and license agreement for ZF's 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at the company’s Indiana Transmission Plant I and the Kokomo casting plant, starting in 2013

I myself prefer a stick shift IF i am stuck in mud or snow
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
I believe that you're mistaken on the Challenger being available with a manual and MDS. The engine used in the manual tranny Challenger is rated at 375hp and 404 ft lbs of torque, where the automatic is rated at 370hp and 398 ft lbs of torque (quoted from allpar.com) The manual also does not have MDS

My wife drives a '10 Challenger RT Classic with the 6-sp manual. The lack of MDS was one of the biggest surprises for me when we bought the car last year.
The service adviser told me that the reason for no MDS was because the manual was unable to adjust as seamlessly as the automatic did.

Exco
I might have misread the info on Dodge's site. So... Again.. My theory is right.. Tough to have MDS with the manual trans because of the direct link to the engine and no "coast" ability.. IDK
Old 11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
believe or not, even the big trucks like Freightliners, Internationals, & Volvos are going with some Allison automatics, 6 speeds on up
you will soon see some Allison type automatics in the Rams

The largest investment in the U.S. since the new Company was formed in June 2009 was aided by the approval of a tax abatement from the city of Kokomo. The investment will fund the installation of equipment and special tooling to modernize Indiana Transmission Plant I and the Kokomo Casting Plant. The project will extend the life of both manufacturing facilities and help retain nearly 1,200 jobs.

Chrysler Group has licensed the manufacturing rights from Friedrichshafen, Germany-based ZF Group to build the new eight-speed beginning in 2013. Included in this agreement is the purchase of transmissions manufactured by ZF.
Chrysler Group LLC will initially receive the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF Getriebe GmbH plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF is setting up a new transmission production plant in North America, where the 8-speed transmissions will be produced.[5]Friedrichshafen ZF and Chrysler Group LLC have reached a supply and license agreement for ZF's 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at the company’s Indiana Transmission Plant I and the Kokomo casting plant, starting in 2013

I myself prefer a stick shift IF i am stuck in mud or snow
WOW!!... That post was too much to comprehend...LOL.. Are you saying that Dodge trucks will be getting an 8spd automatic trans in the future?? That trans would have to have a REALLY close gear ratio to be practical in a passenger truck (Under 1 ton truck) Only the diesel engine has a chance of making it usable. Doing 70 mph you would be turning 1000 RPM or less.. No gas engine could do it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

I think they are trying to start to market the MAN-U-MATIC style shifting to make the buyer think they have the best of both worlds. And also try to get away from manual trans.

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:48
ScottLC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLETED View Post
a Truck without a stick is like a VIPER with an Automatic . what the point
To each their own. For me a stick is like big steering wheels, solid front axles in passenger cars and 6 volt electrics: One of those relics best left in the past.

[COLOR=Blue][B]"Once the monkeys learn they can vote themselves bananas, they'll never climb another tree." [/B][/COLOR][SIZE=1]- Heinlein[/SIZE]
[/CENTER]
Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Boy do I feel your pain! I have driven manual trans trucks until my 2010. If there was one thing I could change about my truck, it's that!

My previous truck was an 08 hemi with a 6 spd, and it was the only manual trans hemi my dealer had sold since may previous truck....04 hemi with a 5 spd.

It may be a simple 'supply/demand' thing. As most people obviously don't want the manual trans, they have just quit offering them.....too bad.....I really miss my manual.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI