DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Mountaineer will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Jerry Can Mount?

I have a 5gal Jerry Can (gas can) and was wondering if anyone else has mounted one on their truck. I know that this is typically a Jeep thing, but I have a long long road trip ahead of me (3000+ miles) and I want that little extra gas just in case. I would like to mount it in the bed. I have a toolbox and a spray in Line-X. The only bracket mount I have seen is for a Jeep that hangs off the back near the spare tire. I would like to avoid mounting it on the back bumper but I am open to any ideas. My ideal spot would be either snug up to the tool box or hugging the side of the bed. I do not just want to tie it in. Anyone have ideas? Links or pics would help. I have to get it done by this weekend. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:21
gtfloyd is on a distinguished road

I have some jerry can brackets that provide a bottom w/ lip and a back with a tension strap that hold it in. It is designed for a jeep but the bracket has 4 holes for a vertical mount. You could run some sheet metal screws through your toolbox and put silicone around the holes. Or bolt it(I would bolt it) but it may not be desirable to have a bracket permanently mounted on it. I think I bought the bracket for $10. Also, if you do that, put rubber in the bottom to keep the rattling noise down. It gets annoying after a while.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Ok, I've got to ask. Are you planning this trip out in the boonies? I can't count the number of times I've driving across this country east to west and north to south and all points in between. I've never run out of gas and never even came close.

Key is:

1. Know how far you can go on a tank of gas. aka know your true (not displayed) displayed mpg for the speed you will be traveling.

2. Never let your tank get below 1/4 full regardless of what the gas price is at the station coming up.

3. Stay to the main interstates and you'll find truck-stops all the way across. Those are the best places for gas and food.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Mountaineer will become famous soon enough

I think I saw that bracket at the 4wheelparts store. Good idea. I might just drill directly into the tool box and bolt it on and then seal it with silicone. Thanks for the tip on putting rubber down. I will get the bracket from my local shop and let you know how it goes.