DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion Have you had a good experience with your Dodge Ram Dealer? Had a bad one? Let us know about it in here! - Dodge Ram Production Questions - Order Status - VIN Tracking - Etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

A note about the oil & MDS
If you have an MDS engine (all current 5.7 engines!), only use 5W20 oil. You need the right oil. If the owner’s manual says something else, follow its advice - but don’t be convinced by a mechanic. Insist on the right grade and if they don’t use it...get a refund and go somewhere else. (You can quote TSB 09-015-04 and 09-013-04, “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”) Watch the mechanic pour it in! Read more at http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopa...ktrack=kcplink

The on-board engine-management computer controls the MDS. The four cylinders that can be deactivated are numbers 1,4,6 and 7. That includes the two inner cylinders on one bank and the two outer cylinders on the opposing bank. By shutting down these specific cylinders at once, the engine can maintain regular 180-degree firings as a V4. Hemi engineers designed the cylinder block with a specific oil circuit to support MDS. Four solenoids control oil pressure to eight specially designed hydraulic-roller lifters that control the intake and exhaust valves in the cylinders to be deactivated. When the solenoids are activated, high-pressure oil is fed to the lifters. A pin in each lifter is moved, disconnecting the outer portion of the lifter from the inner. The outer portion of the lifter continues to ride along the camshaft lobes but the inner portion, which supports the pushrod, remains still. With both valves closed, the engine computer also shuts off the spark and fuel to those cylinders.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: ram 1500 extcab 4x4 1998 dodge
Trim Level: larmine slt
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
FloridaCracker352 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to FloridaCracker352

hey if you use vavoline synthetic and register your truck before a certain milage they will gurantee your motor to last 300,000 miles
Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

I was interested in looking up more on that floridacracker (glad to see yet another dipper on the Z) I wonder how they are with actually warrantying that, and to comment on this whole thing with the wrong oil it is utter and total b.s I am so glad I found a good dealer and a great service rep. who would fight for me and my truck. Hope it all panned out right.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: Jus The TRX
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:41
HoltFF1074 is on a distinguished road
Default That reminds me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleeseaf View Post
hey man, i have a problem right now with my '10 ram 5.7L. Seems to be stuck in 4 cylinders most of the time, like the mds is malfunctioning, until the oil warms up to above 180. im not sure if it is because the wrong oil is in it because i have no documentation on what the dealer put in this truck before i bought it, but its with the dealer now and they're trying to figure it out. they dont seem to think its caused by wrong oil, but we'll see and i'll let you know. not sure yet on whether it will cause any damage long term, but we'll see. if you havent had any problems along those lines, than i think it'll be okay.
gleeseaf,your situation reminds me of what i witnessed with another Ram owner who had a 07 with MDS. At the time this owner had his 07 to the dealer more than once trying to learn/fix whatever was causing his truck to drop to 4cyls even when it should not.The service rep (the good one they USE to use) even ask me if i'd ever experienced anything of this sort and if i may have any input to what causes the symptoms this owners truck was having. I had no idea and i began to even have concern if i should ever have this problem. Well,after sometime when i went back for a oil change (which seemed so hassle free then!) i ask the service rep if they ever solved the MDS problem with the other 07 truck. The thing they had learned and i can't quite remember details......was the exhaust system. The owner had opened the exhaust dramatically and that caused some false readings (??????) and then the MDS would kick in during almost any speed and become a real hassle to drive. Dunno if you have done any exhaust mods or not,but just wanted to share this bit of info with you just in case.Meanwhile since i no longer go to this dealer for ANYTHING.Ineed to figure maybe doing my own oil change since any other dealers are too far out to benefit to drive there even if a good special is offered.Suppose i'll just have to get a lil dirty
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Mountaineer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Holt, if you are uncomfortable using Friendship for any repairs (warranty or otherwise), bring your truck to Carl Gregory and ask for me personally.
Damn, wish I lived near you! I would drive way out of my way if I knew that you would be under the hood of my truck! The OP just got hooked up!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 1999 regular short box sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:140
Dennyboy will become famous soon enoughDennyboy will become famous soon enough

you can come out to my dealer haha we make sure every car is better than when it came in. As well as getting the correct oil. my self and the rest of the lube tech's get tested on all the oil life monitors and types of oils and filters. as well as TPMS on all vehicles, as well as 23 point inspections.

It's sad that these kinds of things arn't taken so serious in every dealership. I can't wait to be a real tech though.

but I dought you wanna drive to minnesota for that.

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.