DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Cool Chrome
Color: Cool Vanilla
Rep:79
westxsrt10 will become famous soon enough

Don't do it.
The best way to increase gas milage is placing a raw egg behind the throttle peddle.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
Well i do appreciate the replies, sprintertech you need to lighten up bud, I threw something out there, nobody said I added this to my gas lol, wow...,being new to the forum and all, you could've been a little more discreet with you 2 cents

hehe.....thats me buddy...nothin personal.....and besides..ive done my part and got ur attention

welcome to ramforumz.........glad to have ya!
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
I respect your comments, I didn't take anything to heart, really, I kind of fell onto this information accidently, and just to set the record straight, I'm not going to jeopradize an investment as big as my truck, I more or less was hoping for objective opinions. I guess I was more curious about the properties of acetone, how it claims to help atomize fuel more completely thus producing slightly better fuel economy. I suppose I should have read and researched more before posting. I'm really not dissapointed with the mileaege my truck is getting. Like I said in my original post, I didn't purchase this truck for gas mileage.
Acetone disolves just about everything, is pretty volatile, and probably serves as a surfactant breaking down surface tension in the fuel. If the fuel molecules are less cohesive you would get better atomization of fuel by the injectors. The problem is that modern fuel injectors (when clean) also do a marvelous job of atomizing fuel on their own. I'm not sure you gain much of anything. Acetone is also probably a less dense engery source than gasoline (all though this is purely speculation on my part), and would therefore decrease milage in terms of distance traveled per fuel consumed, although the additional fuel in terms of the volume of acetone might give you a slight boost. Of course acetone is more expesive than gasoline so that's not a good trade off either.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

Well let me give you the "other" side of the story.

Will Acetone harm rubber and plastic...yes..over time..in 100% form. Since you add only 1.5 to 2 oz per 10 gal of fuel..that equates to 1660 oz of fuel and 4 oz of acetone in a typical 26 gal ram tank. That ratio will not break down rubber or plastic. I have been running it in a plastic tank with stock rubber fuel lines for over 150,000 miles and there is no issues with it at all. I drive consitantly the same route and with consistantly the same patterns of traffic and I average 34 mpg using it. And I can tell you from personal experiences, it does indeed increase mpg. This is all my experience in my 99 Dodge Neon. And I am a true believer that it works. Granted it costs a lot more now since the government is cracking down on home drug businesses..evidently acetone is used in the process. It used to be about $6/gal...but now it is about $14/gal.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

I'm certainly not trying to endorse this again but latitud, that's interesting. The only reason I continued reading more on this was the ratio they had used in their studies like you have mentioned, I suppose it may be more detrimental in a new vehicle fuel system. the question is.... would you run that in your new dodge!? Thanks for the input.

Otterdriver
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitud View Post
I drive consitantly the same route and with consistantly the same patterns of traffic and I average 34 mpg using it. And I can tell you from personal experiences, it does indeed increase mpg. This is all my experience in my 99 Dodge Neon.
What is a 99 Neon supposed to get for gas mileage from the factory?

Stage 2 is underway
Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM

29 mpg..and yes I have tested it with and without and there is consistantly 2 to 3 mpg more with acetone. The point being that after 150,000 miles there are no fuel tank failures, no rubber hose failures, no plastic fitting failures, nada...zip...so the ratio plays a key role in the "corrosion" that acetone should cause.

and yes I will defiently run it in the Ram and I have no worries about damage....How many people run a predator or other tuner? Do they not worry about damage? Why do so many ask if it leaves a "footprint"???? I would say run it and record the before and after results and decide for yourself. The only thing I would recomend is that you either store it in the original can, or store it in premixed glass bottles outside of the cab area. Carry a measuring cup and funnel if you leave it in the original can. For the record, it evaporates quickly when exposed the air...in a matter of seconds, but I don't doubt that it would cause paint damage it continually exposed and poured onto the paint. I myself have had no issues.

For the record I am running factory injectors, factory hoses and 250,000 miles later with no issues.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by latitud View Post
Well let me give you the "other" side of the story.

Will Acetone harm rubber and plastic...yes..over time..in 100% form. Since you add only 1.5 to 2 oz per 10 gal of fuel..that equates to 1660 oz of fuel and 4 oz of acetone in a typical 26 gal ram tank. That ratio will not break down rubber or plastic. I have been running it in a plastic tank with stock rubber fuel lines for over 150,000 miles and there is no issues with it at all. I drive consitantly the same route and with consistantly the same patterns of traffic and I average 34 mpg using it. And I can tell you from personal experiences, it does indeed increase mpg. This is all my experience in my 99 Dodge Neon. And I am a true believer that it works. Granted it costs a lot more now since the government is cracking down on home drug businesses..evidently acetone is used in the process. It used to be about $6/gal...but now it is about $14/gal.
Since acetone is highly volatile and a very powerful solvent, it makes a good agent for use in the purification of many chemical compounds. It's also easy to obtain for the average person because it requires no license to purchase.

Out of curiousity is your neon a manual or automatic?

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM

It is a manual and still on the factory clutch..best car I have ever owned.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM

My father had a neon from that generation and had all kinds of problems with carbon build up on the heads. Had to have it serviced under warrenty 3 times, and finally sold it before the warrenty expired. Perhaps your acetone is helping keep the engine clean.

On the milelage issue again, although I'm sure you don't drive highway exclusively, 34mpg is within the epa estimated range for that vehichle, tranny combination. Although I don't doubt that the acetone has probably helped keep the injectors etc. clean, and you might not be still getting that mileage otherwise, I wonder if you switched back to straight gasoline if you would see a change in mpg or not.

Also, although I find it somewhat suprising that you havent had any issues with seals, etc., your comment makes me wonder. Although your vehichle is not (at least to my knowledge) flex fuel, I wonder if flex fuel vehichles would be better suited to run gasoline blended with acetone since they are designed with fuel delivery systems resistant to the drying (somewhat corosive, at least in regards to rubber) effect of ethanol. Food for thought anyway.