DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough
Default Lets talk sludge

Dodge trucks are notorious for sludging, and I have seen it first hand in my own 4.7. I have seen the goo piled up on my oil cap and know that it can fill oiling ports and lead to an early demise for the motor. What can I do in my truck to fight what it currently has and prevent it in the future. Any products or recommendations?
My truck has an obvious audible tick (like a lifter) until it warms up. My guess is once the engine heats up enough the oil get to this area and silences it. Before I experience a problem, what do you guys know that works?

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

a centrifugal oil filter and a synthetic oil would go a long way, but the most helpful would be a regular cleaning of the oil pan, there's no real 'fix' that I've heard of.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

What you see in the inside of your cap isn't always a good indicator of what the inside of the engine looks like. Mine looks pretty rough from time to time but I know the internals are clean. If you want to get a good idea of what's going on in your engine, pull a valve cover.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

A good way of fighting a sludging problem is more frequent oil changes and/or running a good quality synthetic oil like Amsoil .
Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 QC-4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Color: DK Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:68
OldMoparMan63 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
What you see in the inside of your cap isn't always a good indicator of what the inside of the engine looks like.
Excellent point.

The oil fill spout is elevated and is plastic. Plastic does not transfer heat.

What you're seeing is oil vapors that rise in that tube, and are exposed to cooler air, causing condensation, hence the tan, gooie, build up you get.

Short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temps long enough to dry it out, will make it worse. Not to mention, the PCV valve is there, sucking engine/oil vapor up to that location.

Ford had the same issue on the older small block engines, at the oil fill cap, where the PCV fit into.

It's harmless.....just really annoying to see, and you'll see it more in the winter/coller months then you will in the summer, because of the warmer, summer ambient temps.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:20 AM

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram
Trim Level: sxt
Color: atlantic blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:197
05atlanticblue has a spectacular aura about05atlanticblue has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
A good way of fighting a sludging problem is more frequent oil changes and/or running a good quality synthetic oil like Amsoil .
frequent oil changes and that brand in the same sentence - thats a first

the best way to avoid sludge issues is to follow the mopar maintenance schedule to a tee using fluids with the correct recommended certifications.
following mopar's recommendations, we've had four late model mopars, all with over 100k on the odometer and not one issue...

Last edited by 05atlanticblue; 11-26-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
Dodge trucks are notorious for sludging, and I have seen it first hand in my own 4.7. I have seen the goo piled up on my oil cap and know that it can fill oiling ports and lead to an early demise for the motor
that is not true.....only engine weve had that was prone to sludge if regular maint was not followed to the T was the 2.7.....
in any engine if you do not change the oil as recommended you are asking for trouble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMoparMan63 View Post
Excellent point.

The oil fill spout is elevated and is plastic. Plastic does not transfer heat.

What you're seeing is oil vapors that rise in that tube, and are exposed to cooler air, causing condensation, hence the tan, gooie, build up you get.

Short trips where the engine doesn't reach full operating temps long enough to dry it out, will make it worse. Not to mention, the PCV valve is there, sucking engine/oil vapor up to that location.

Ford had the same issue on the older small block engines, at the oil fill cap, where the PCV fit into.

It's harmless.....just really annoying to see, and you'll see it more in the winter/coller months then you will in the summer, because of the warmer, summer ambient temps.
^^^true story^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05atlanticblue View Post
frequent oil changes and that brand in the same sentence - thats a first

the best way to avoid sludge issues is to follow the mopar maintenance schedule to a tee using fluids with the correct recommended certifications.
following mopar's recommendations, we've had four late model mopars, all with over 100k on the odometer and not one issue...
amsoil is not a recommended lubricant by any manufacturer that i know of
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertech View Post
amsoil is not a recommended lubricant by any manufacturer that i know of
Perhaps not but it does meet the ILSAC GF-4 and the Chrysler MS-6395N standards and is safe to use. Royal Purple does not meet these standards the last time I checked.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Perhaps not but it does meet the ILSAC GF-4 and the Chrysler MS-6395N standards and is safe to use. Royal Purple does not meet these standards the last time I checked.
no your right.....i would not use royal purple either.....i use mobil 1

never been a fan of snake oil!
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Old 11-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLt/Lonestar Edition
Color: Mineral Gray Metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

I used Royal Purple for 2 years with no problems, but I now run Mobil 1 full Synthetic 15KM Extended Protection just to be on the safe side.
2007 Ram 1500 QC w/ 5.7 Hemi, , Comp Cams XFI 260H-13, Diablosport Predator Tuner w/ Custom CMR Tune, Composite BFI with AMSOIL synthetic dry filter, Fastman Ported Throttle Body, BBK Shorty Headers, 14" Magnaflow, Doug's Headers 3" Electric Cutout, NGK spark plugs, Sonnax 545RFE Trans Line Booster, Jet 180* Tstat, AMSOIL oil & filter, SprintBooster, Billet Grill, GT Truck Products Fiberglass Bed cover, Liquid Metal wheels