DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Express 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: exspress
Color: cherry pearl red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
nitro1965 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul51 View Post
So is the flowmaster 50 hd that much different than the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow? When I bought my truck it had the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow on it and that was not loud enough for me. So i took off the resonators and put on the Flowmaster Super 44. I did not nitice any change in power between the 2. And that is going from a 3 chamber to a 2 chamber muffler. Only thing that changed was the sound.
i think the engineer said that the flowmaster 50 hd has 4" internalls for better air flow and by the way the internalls are designed .you will notice a sound difference but as far as trying to tell hp difference thats hard to tell unless you dyno it. it almost like saying how k&n cold air intake systems offer different k&n cold air intakes. depenending on which one you buy give you better hp gains but would you notice it?.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1965 View Post
no problem, i can care less who has what on there truck if they are happy with it cool its you the owner who should be pleased not the wannabe. i'm sure every muffler has there benifits as well as there flaws but get what is best for you and your truck.
exactly thats what makes everything unique
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL
Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbourn View Post
I would suggest the aeroturbine 3030xl as it is a straight through muffler and WILL provide the best performance because it doesn't have any type of baffling. BAFFLING leads to BACKPressure=less power on any new motor. the idea is to get the fastest flowing capability.
I don't think the AT3030xl is truely straight though, as is the AT3030. The XL is resonated, and I think this introduces a least one additional internal baffel. However, with the Hemi, I think you ae going to want the built in resonator to quash the drone produced with MDS engaged. I've never seen a picture of any of the aero turbine XL series muffler cut open, or flipped on end to show that "straight through" architecture ... and although I'm not from Missouri, I'm a skeptic.

On another note, the 3030 does have a baffel strictly speaking. However the baffel is a cylindrical air foil that does not impede air flow directly (as there is an unobstructed 3" connection straight through the center). They claim that this design draws excess, expanding exhaust gasses into the outter chamber of the muffler and then feeds them back in through slots that create a vortex that causes a vaccum that actual eccelerates the gas as it leave the muffler. The notion seems to violate the second law of thermodynamics in my opinion ... but the 3030 is the closest to a straight pipe I have seen in any muffler design.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
I don't think the AT3030xl is truely straight though, as is the AT3030. The XL is resonated, and I think this introduces a least one additional internal baffel. However, with the Hemi, I think you ae going to want the built in resonator to quash the drone produced with MDS engaged. I've never seen a picture of any of the aero turbine XL series muffler cut open, or flipped on end to show that "straight through" architecture ... and although I'm not from Missouri, I'm a skeptic.

On another note, the 3030 does have a baffel strictly speaking. However the baffel is a cylindrical air foil that does not impede air flow directly (as there is an unobstructed 3" connection straight through the center). They claim that this design draws excess, expanding exhaust gasses into the outter chamber of the muffler and then feeds them back in through slots that create a vortex that causes a vaccum that actual eccelerates the gas as it leave the muffler. The notion seems to violate the second law of thermodynamics in my opinion ... but the 3030 is the closest to a straight pipe I have seen in any muffler design.
well hell if you want actual straight through muffler, delete it and run straight pipes!! hahaha. moroso spiral flow and glasspacks are the closest thing to straight through.

but yeah the airfoil isn't technically a baffle in my opinion, because the center 3" tube is carried through through out the muffler. it expands at the very beginning with little cut outs to let air expand around the tube and then reintroduced in at the end. it may be a little inneficient, but def better than chambered baffles.. the guys at two guys garage installed a 3030xl and they have a cutopen version and show end on end and it's straight through. i'll find the link and post it later.

the 3030xl is just bigger with a bigger case, same ratio of size. i mean it's got that packing ceramic before the airfoil to help with drone, hence the resonated feature.

here's pics of both right off their website of cutopen...first one of the xl and the second of the original.

here's that link that i was eluding to. there is one that the two guys garage has but it's way to long, so i found this one, the guys talking is an idiot but you get the point. there entire series of at mufflers, non xl, are like this.
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL

Last edited by cosbourn; 11-24-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 4x4 Sport
Rep:0
Kleeeen is an unknown quantity at this point

Mufflers offer next to nothing/nothing for performance gains but most know that so why am I typing this doh
Old 11-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbourn View Post
well hell if you want actual straight through muffler, delete it and run straight pipes!! hahaha. moroso spiral flow and glasspacks are the closest thing to straight through.

but yeah the airfoil isn't technically a baffle in my opinion, because the center 3" tube is carried through through out the muffler. it expands at the very beginning with little cut outs to let air expand around the tube and then reintroduced in at the end. it may be a little inneficient, but def better than chambered baffles.. the guys at two guys garage installed a 3030xl and they have a cutopen version and show end on end and it's straight through. i'll find the link and post it later.

the 3030xl is just bigger with a bigger case, same ratio of size. i mean it's got that packing ceramic before the airfoil to help with drone, hence the resonated feature.

here's pics of both right off their website of cutopen...first one of the xl and the second of the original.

here's that link that i was eluding to. there is one that the two guys garage has but it's way to long, so i found this one, the guys talking is an idiot but you get the point. there entire series of at mufflers, non xl, are like this.
Does the other one have a cutaway with the 3030XL. I've seen this video, but this is a standard aero turbine (4040 I'm guessing since it's deisel) rather than the XL. It's the XL I've never seen a cutaway for.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

I ran a Flow 50 once for awhile...when I was slower. Maybe good on other motors, but doesn't perform well with our Hemi's...
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 11-26-2010, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 2004 RCSB 4x4 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blizzard white
Rep:23
MoparerNocar is on a distinguished road

I can't say I noticed even the SLIGHTEST difference between my stock, borla cat back and the flow master I now run. I'd rather have something that sounds good than that extra .0000035464684548458hp any muffler gives you, the difference is completely un noticable. Now maybe with more mods it would change, but as far as a stock engine goes....yeah, go with what sounds good, the gain or decrease in power will not be noticable.