DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Military

Notices

Military Special Interest Group for members of all branches of the military, active duty or retired. - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brown
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:60
flipster will become famous soon enough

Okay... I am going to chime it also...

Several seem to be down on officers here and while I appreciate that to some degree, people are people and there are equally as inept enlisted as officers. I have been in for over 23 years now and was an E6 before I "direct commissioned" as a logistics officer. I am now a Captain in the Army and can tell you that there is a real difference in the two sides of the military coin.

I suggest the officer path and regardless of what branch you join, you will be treated more adult-like in the officer corps training you attend. Initial entry Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors and Marines are "sequestered" into their respective training units and "broken" down. This serves two purposes: Learning how to become a part of your organization and setting the ideals of your military bearing so you understand the environment you have just accepted as a way of life.

Another aspect you may want to take a look at is pay. O1 makes a lot more than E4. While money is not a final determining factor, it make for better living. Another aspect is quality of living and whether your chosen service allows for single military personnel to live off-post or not. If they do, O1 will pay much better than E4.

As for doing the enlisted thing before becoming an officer, that is a matter of choice. What matters is getting a great senior enlisted person on your side. As with anything in life, your elders should always try to help you out. If you go in asking questions and becoming genuinely interested in learning your craft, then a great NCO, Chief, Gunny or TSGT will make your world a lot easier and they should guide you in the right directions. If not, then they are setting you up for failure and that is wrong. Just take your time and learn, ask questions, and study your environment; think before you act.

As for the JAG duty you want, you will direct commission into the JAG Corps if you have a degree. There are few specialties that you can direct commission into and JAG, Chaplain, Medical and Flight are some of them. That basically means you have a degree in your specialty, apply for service and get commissioned. Then you will go to basic training of sorts to learn somethings about the military and its traditions/customs/regulations. Then you will have to go back to school for your branch specialty and learn how the military does things as it pertains to your degree and career.

I will say that your plan to finish college early, serve, and then continue to serve in the reserves is not a bad one. Remember that there are still plenty of reserve officers deployed and that may hurt your private practice if you have to shut the doors for a year to go over seas... but that is down the road. One final thought: if your college is not paid for, then commissioning after school can help to pay off your school loans.

Hope this helps a little...
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Willy P is on a distinguished road

Garner-

I'm a Navy recruiter. I could probably answer most of your questions. I also work right next door to the Army and Marines.

How are you graduating high school at 16? Is it through a public high school or some other way (private school, home school, etc)?

I would recommend getting a commission if you have a degree. I have worked with a few enlisted men with degrees, and they simply wanted a job where they got their hands dirty. Officers, at least in the Navy, are leaders and administrators.

Let me know what questions you have.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

My opinion is go US Navy SEAL....I have seen and done things that hardly anyone could fathom...and as an officer you get treated well by the way.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires