DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4


Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 AM
brad12kx's Avatar
brad12kx brad12kx is offline
Just some guy in Canada


 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brandon, MB
Posts: 22,792
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 21
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
I believe Scat has or had a set of these on his truck .
Yes, ScatPak07 has the Bilstein 5100 series, and loves them.
__________________
brad

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 AM
brad12kx's Avatar
brad12kx brad12kx is offline
Just some guy in Canada


 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brandon, MB
Posts: 22,792
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 21
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Here's a link to Scats thread on these.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....light=Bilstein
__________________
brad

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 AM
hpc3 hpc3 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Piedmont of the Carolinas
Posts: 202
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default The adjustables(in height for the front) allow you to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfloyd View Post
I wasn't planning on getting adjustables, just replacements. What are the benefits of an adjustable shock?
raise/level the fronts on the independent suspension Dodges. The Bilstein strut body has 5 clip or height settings from 0" to +2.7" in height with longer piston travel to match. The rears in this same series also have an additional 1" of travel in case you need to add a 1" spacer to the rears to balance the height at the fronts highest setting. I plan on running in the 4th clip position initially which should allow for a 2.1" lift and keep the rear at stock height. My truck doesn't seem to have any 4WD wobble aspects at stock height so hoping I'll be ok once leveled. I may try to max it on the front and then add spacers to the rears depending on what I get ride-wise at +2.1" but don't want to push my luck on the front geometry too much.

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F812-H0 for the fronts ($95 ea)

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F813-H0 for the rears ($73 ea)

Shipping was $16 UPS ground, should be here on 7/22/10. I'll take pics when I install.

I had the 5100s on my 2500 with the Carli setup and they ride really well, also tighten up the suspension somewhat(although my Cummims weighed another ~1K lbs and really needed some tightening lol, the 1500 doesn't drive or feel heavy like the other). They are good shocks/cartridges... have had various Bilstein setups on a few cars now.
__________________
2010 Ram Laramie Crew 4x4, Inferno(mono) on Slate, All options, including BigSloshiTank

Last edited by hpc3; 07-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM
gtfloyd's Avatar
gtfloyd gtfloyd is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 146
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2008 Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:21
gtfloyd is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
raise/level the fronts on the independent suspension Dodges. The Bilstein strut body has 5 clip or height settings from 0" to +2.7" in height with longer piston travel to match. The rears in this same series also have an additional 1" of travel in case you need to add a 1" spacer to the rears to balance the height at the fronts highest setting. I plan on running in the 4th clip position initially which should allow for a 2.1" lift and keep the rear at stock height. My truck doesn't seem to have any 4WD wobble aspects at stock height so hoping I'll be ok once leveled. I may try to max it on the front and then add spacers to the rears depending on what I get ride-wise at +2.1" but don't want to push my luck on the front geometry too much.

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F812-H0 for the fronts ($95 ea)

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F813-H0 for the rears ($73 ea)

Shipping was $16 UPS ground, should be here on 7/22/10. I'll take pics when I install.

I had the 5100s on my 2500 with the Carli setup and they ride really well, also tighten up the suspension somewhat(although my Cummims weighed another ~1K lbs and really needed some tightening lol, the 1500 doesn't drive or feel heavy like the other). They are good shocks/cartridges... have had various Bilstein setups on a few cars now.
Thank you for the info. If I am reading this correctly, and I'm not saying I am, I could raise my truck another inch all around? I already have a leveling kit and I didn't think you could raise the truck with just shocks. Lol this may have made my day if my assumptions are correct. If not, its still good to know.
__________________
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger, unless we end up comatose. In which case we slowly degenerate into a shell of what we used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM
hpc3 hpc3 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Piedmont of the Carolinas
Posts: 202
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default Well, yes on the front, provided you're not taking the

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfloyd View Post
Thank you for the info. If I am reading this correctly, and I'm not saying I am, I could raise my truck another inch all around? I already have a leveling kit and I didn't think you could raise the truck with just shocks. Lol this may have made my day if my assumptions are correct. If not, its still good to know.
driveshafts too far out of spec/geometry. This would give you another 2.7" to play with in addition to the spacers(I don't necessarily think this is smart though, I'd go either/or on this - replace 2" spacer with 2.7" max extension Bilstien in my opinion) and then you could add a 1" spacer on the rear coils with the rear Bilsteins(need the extra travel length to be safe).
__________________
2010 Ram Laramie Crew 4x4, Inferno(mono) on Slate, All options, including BigSloshiTank
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Pull Ya's Avatar
Pull Ya Pull Ya is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cedar Creek, Tx
Posts: 1,161
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice
Default

After you get them installed would you please let us know your impressions of them. Also how the install went.
Thanks,
Jay
__________________
Just cause it's loud doesn't mean it's fast and just cause it's shiney doesn't mean it's protected.
Semper Fi Forever
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
hpc3 hpc3 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Piedmont of the Carolinas
Posts: 202
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default I will so we'll have the info for the archives on the 2009+ model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
After you get them installed would you please let us know your impressions of them. Also how the install went.
Thanks,
Jay
I'll admit I'm terrible at stopping to take pics during mods but I've done strut/spring swaps so many times hopefully I'll breeze right through this and have time/patience to document lol.
__________________
2010 Ram Laramie Crew 4x4, Inferno(mono) on Slate, All options, including BigSloshiTank
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
hydrex's Avatar
hydrex hydrex is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Penobscot, Maine
Age: 63
Posts: 2,055
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice
Default

I gotta give kudos to my Rancho 9000's 132,000 miles and still stiffer than honeymoon , well, you know.
__________________
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
liv2ryde's Avatar
liv2ryde liv2ryde is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Age: 45
Posts: 13
Gender: Female
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White two tone silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
liv2ryde is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
I'll admit I'm terrible at stopping to take pics during mods but I've done strut/spring swaps so many times hopefully I'll breeze right through this and have time/patience to document lol.
I also want to do the very same to my 2010 Laramie, install 305/55's, level up the nose some, you have a good thought on not stressing out the front with the highest setting. Are you happy with that decision? I also want to put the rear shocks on because I do a good bit of towing and hauling. I am hoping the rear will not sag so easily as it does stock especially with my nose lifted 2" . Think that will work or should I just go with air bags? How are you liking your K/O's? I have them on a Jeep and like them but they are so much more expensive than all other choices
__________________
HBS 2.5" front Level, Airlift rear bags, K&N CAI, 285/70 BFG Rugged Terrain, atx Justice 17x9 -12mm
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
hpc3 hpc3 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Piedmont of the Carolinas
Posts: 202
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2ryde View Post
I also want to do the very same to my 2010 Laramie, install 305/55's, level up the nose some, you have a good thought on not stressing out the front with the highest setting. Are you happy with that decision? I also want to put the rear shocks on because I do a good bit of towing and hauling. I am hoping the rear will not sag so easily as it does stock especially with my nose lifted 2" . Think that will work or should I just go with air bags? How are you liking your K/O's? I have them on a Jeep and like them but they are so much more expensive than all other choices
I'm mostly happy with the setup in the 4th clip. Honestly I'd really like to have gone the extra ~0.5" on the fronts to do a complete level and have it match the rear but the minute I put my motorcycle trailer with some weight on it it balances out. I'm still thinking I may raise the fronts and add a 3/4" spacer to the rears but will probably wait until the Spring now. Truck drives and handles well with the lift(and alignment).

On the KOs, this is my 3rd or 4th set and I really like these tires for their aggressive looks and good all-around handling. They perform well for street and trail/field duty. The thing I don't like about them is they are a good ~20lbs heavier per tire than my stockers and you can really feel this in the truck. I think if I'd just done the Bilsteins with stock tires the truck would handle a lot better, noticeable difference. With the heavier tires it feels like the stock truck, which is not bad but isn't drastically different. Another thing to note is the mileage. I knew I'd lose a little on MPG... just didn't realize it would be ~3mpg overall. Thats substantial. My 3rd Gen 2500 QC Cummins didn't notice the tires as much as the Hemi does. Like the tires but it would have been smarter to stay with a thinner, lighter, dual purpose tire I think. Oh well, they look good at least haha.

Don't know on the bags - heaviest I've towed with this truck is ~3K lbs with maybe a 400lb tongue weight... wasn't enough to affect the rake much.



__________________
2010 Ram Laramie Crew 4x4, Inferno(mono) on Slate, All options, including BigSloshiTank
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum