DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
I believe Scat has or had a set of these on his truck .
Yes, ScatPak07 has the Bilstein 5100 series, and loves them.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to Scats thread on these.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....light=Bilstein

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno on Slate
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
hpc3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hpc3
Default The adjustables(in height for the front) allow you to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfloyd View Post
I wasn't planning on getting adjustables, just replacements. What are the benefits of an adjustable shock?
raise/level the fronts on the independent suspension Dodges. The Bilstein strut body has 5 clip or height settings from 0" to +2.7" in height with longer piston travel to match. The rears in this same series also have an additional 1" of travel in case you need to add a 1" spacer to the rears to balance the height at the fronts highest setting. I plan on running in the 4th clip position initially which should allow for a 2.1" lift and keep the rear at stock height. My truck doesn't seem to have any 4WD wobble aspects at stock height so hoping I'll be ok once leveled. I may try to max it on the front and then add spacers to the rears depending on what I get ride-wise at +2.1" but don't want to push my luck on the front geometry too much.

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F812-H0 for the fronts ($95 ea)

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F813-H0 for the rears ($73 ea)

Shipping was $16 UPS ground, should be here on 7/22/10. I'll take pics when I install.

I had the 5100s on my 2500 with the Carli setup and they ride really well, also tighten up the suspension somewhat(although my Cummims weighed another ~1K lbs and really needed some tightening lol, the 1500 doesn't drive or feel heavy like the other). They are good shocks/cartridges... have had various Bilstein setups on a few cars now.

Last edited by hpc3; 07-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:21
gtfloyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
raise/level the fronts on the independent suspension Dodges. The Bilstein strut body has 5 clip or height settings from 0" to +2.7" in height with longer piston travel to match. The rears in this same series also have an additional 1" of travel in case you need to add a 1" spacer to the rears to balance the height at the fronts highest setting. I plan on running in the 4th clip position initially which should allow for a 2.1" lift and keep the rear at stock height. My truck doesn't seem to have any 4WD wobble aspects at stock height so hoping I'll be ok once leveled. I may try to max it on the front and then add spacers to the rears depending on what I get ride-wise at +2.1" but don't want to push my luck on the front geometry too much.

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F812-H0 for the fronts ($95 ea)

Manufacturer Part #: F4-BE5-F813-H0 for the rears ($73 ea)

Shipping was $16 UPS ground, should be here on 7/22/10. I'll take pics when I install.

I had the 5100s on my 2500 with the Carli setup and they ride really well, also tighten up the suspension somewhat(although my Cummims weighed another ~1K lbs and really needed some tightening lol, the 1500 doesn't drive or feel heavy like the other). They are good shocks/cartridges... have had various Bilstein setups on a few cars now.
Thank you for the info. If I am reading this correctly, and I'm not saying I am, I could raise my truck another inch all around? I already have a leveling kit and I didn't think you could raise the truck with just shocks. Lol this may have made my day if my assumptions are correct. If not, its still good to know.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Well, yes on the front, provided you're not taking the

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfloyd View Post
Thank you for the info. If I am reading this correctly, and I'm not saying I am, I could raise my truck another inch all around? I already have a leveling kit and I didn't think you could raise the truck with just shocks. Lol this may have made my day if my assumptions are correct. If not, its still good to know.
driveshafts too far out of spec/geometry. This would give you another 2.7" to play with in addition to the spacers(I don't necessarily think this is smart though, I'd go either/or on this - replace 2" spacer with 2.7" max extension Bilstien in my opinion) and then you could add a 1" spacer on the rear coils with the rear Bilsteins(need the extra travel length to be safe).
Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

After you get them installed would you please let us know your impressions of them. Also how the install went.
Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Default I will so we'll have the info for the archives on the 2009+ model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
After you get them installed would you please let us know your impressions of them. Also how the install went.
Thanks,
Jay
I'll admit I'm terrible at stopping to take pics during mods but I've done strut/spring swaps so many times hopefully I'll breeze right through this and have time/patience to document lol.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I gotta give kudos to my Rancho 9000's 132,000 miles and still stiffer than honeymoon , well, you know.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: White two tone silver
Rep:10
liv2ryde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
I'll admit I'm terrible at stopping to take pics during mods but I've done strut/spring swaps so many times hopefully I'll breeze right through this and have time/patience to document lol.
I also want to do the very same to my 2010 Laramie, install 305/55's, level up the nose some, you have a good thought on not stressing out the front with the highest setting. Are you happy with that decision? I also want to put the rear shocks on because I do a good bit of towing and hauling. I am hoping the rear will not sag so easily as it does stock especially with my nose lifted 2" . Think that will work or should I just go with air bags? How are you liking your K/O's? I have them on a Jeep and like them but they are so much more expensive than all other choices
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2ryde View Post
I also want to do the very same to my 2010 Laramie, install 305/55's, level up the nose some, you have a good thought on not stressing out the front with the highest setting. Are you happy with that decision? I also want to put the rear shocks on because I do a good bit of towing and hauling. I am hoping the rear will not sag so easily as it does stock especially with my nose lifted 2" . Think that will work or should I just go with air bags? How are you liking your K/O's? I have them on a Jeep and like them but they are so much more expensive than all other choices
I'm mostly happy with the setup in the 4th clip. Honestly I'd really like to have gone the extra ~0.5" on the fronts to do a complete level and have it match the rear but the minute I put my motorcycle trailer with some weight on it it balances out. I'm still thinking I may raise the fronts and add a 3/4" spacer to the rears but will probably wait until the Spring now. Truck drives and handles well with the lift(and alignment).

On the KOs, this is my 3rd or 4th set and I really like these tires for their aggressive looks and good all-around handling. They perform well for street and trail/field duty. The thing I don't like about them is they are a good ~20lbs heavier per tire than my stockers and you can really feel this in the truck. I think if I'd just done the Bilsteins with stock tires the truck would handle a lot better, noticeable difference. With the heavier tires it feels like the stock truck, which is not bad but isn't drastically different. Another thing to note is the mileage. I knew I'd lose a little on MPG... just didn't realize it would be ~3mpg overall. Thats substantial. My 3rd Gen 2500 QC Cummins didn't notice the tires as much as the Hemi does. Like the tires but it would have been smarter to stay with a thinner, lighter, dual purpose tire I think. Oh well, they look good at least haha.

Don't know on the bags - heaviest I've towed with this truck is ~3K lbs with maybe a 400lb tongue weight... wasn't enough to affect the rake much.