DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:13
bcjjones is on a distinguished road
Default Ramtech!!!!!

Hey RamTech, I had made a post in reguards to my 96 dodge ram 1500 5.2 standard jumpin rpm's at WOT at about 4k. Basically as soon as i hit but 4k the rpms will jump up past redline without the truck going anymore, kinda like it slips. The only thing i can think of is maybe the clutch going out, but it absolutely fine other wise?(besides the problem im having with it dying while driving) You said you had some ideas about it tho??
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2010, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

That's certainly possible, especially of the clutch is old. Does it slip if you short shift and floor the gas?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 AM

Rep:13
bcjjones is on a distinguished road

No it sure doesn't. It only slips at WOT and only at about 4k. It actually didnt do it at all today, i floored it about 5-6 times and didn't do it at all. There is a pretty big hesitation if I short shift and floor it, also on take of but it doesn't slip it's just real hesitant which i think is a completely different problem. It drives fine otherwise, doesn't slip at all. The only other thing I can think of is a computer issue, because i've been having problems with it just dying while driving. Could be a bad ground issue tho. Another question i have is what is the purpose of the grounds that go to the back of each cylinder head? I noticed today that one of the wires was broke which might be the problem? Both wires just run from the cyliner head to the truck and nothing else