DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram44 View Post
I may be wrong but from what Ive read its not a true auto shift. Its not like the paddles on some sport cars. More of a max gear it will shift up to.
This is true it is not a manuel shift.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

Mine shifts really smooth when i'm pulling my travel trailer. When My old 2000 chevy 5.3 downshifted is was really rough.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:67
crusher09 will become famous soon enough

2. Transmission - 3/10: The transmission in this truck is horrid. I was extremely dissapointed from the transmission on the trip. It is very, very clunky, often fails to downshift until you really press the pedal down, and when it does jolts the entire truck forward. There is a significant pause as the truck downshifts and when power is delivered, it comes in a very scary and jerky way.

I too noticed this the other day when I went to Toronto, I thought it was just me or maybe the tires caught the road in some strange way, I'm going to be talking to my dealer on Monday to see what he has to say about it.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 4x4 SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:63
Black05 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheworld View Post
2. Transmission - 3/10: The transmission in this truck is horrid. I was extremely dissapointed from the transmission on the trip. It is very, very clunky, often fails to downshift until you really press the pedal down, and when it does jolts the entire truck forward. There is a significant pause as the truck downshifts and when power is delivered, it comes in a very scary and jerky way. I also had several issues trying to control the transmission manually. I attempted to change into the proper gear before a hill. The "manual mode" would only respond around one time out of every three pushes. I would often find myself at the hill before it finally kicked in, which would result in an unsettling downshift. I had issues with this the entire way across the mountains. I also had issues engaging the manual mode in the first place. I am still having issues with downshifting, especially when going up hills. I have a pause and then a very unsettling power delivery. Pretty dissapointed in this transmission overall. I am glad that I didn't haul the 5k lb trailer that I had planned on. I think the tranny would have fallen out somewhere in SD.
I have an 05 4x4 SLT and I have the same complaints about the trans everything else is on point. I really noticed it the other day when hauling some cars to/from WV 1500lb up trip, 2500lb car home after a trade. Power was not an issue the truck didn't even feel like it had a load behind it, however sometimes it felt like it was in too high a gear and would not downshift unless the accelerator was press considerably. When pressed in this fashion once it downshifted it wanted to go. This was prevalent even in TOW/HAUL mode although less noticeable. I don't know though maybe just a little quirk I'll get used to, until I get my DSP
Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ridetheworld is on a distinguished road

FYI...I am running 3.55 gears. It has been just as bad around the mountains here in Western NC this week. The turn into my parents development is off of a flat road that immediately turns into a decent grade. The truck hesitates as I make the turn, downshifts and lurches forward. I am going to talk to my dealer when I get back to Washington state because this is just crap.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Max Steel
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheworld View Post
FYI...I am running 3.55 gears. It has been just as bad around the mountains here in Western NC this week. The turn into my parents development is off of a flat road that immediately turns into a decent grade. The truck hesitates as I make the turn, downshifts and lurches forward. I am going to talk to my dealer when I get back to Washington state because this is just crap.
Any update on this? I live in Wa State and test drove a 2011 Ram last weekend. 3.55 gears, 5.7 V8 and I didn't notice the transmission issues you are referring to but a concern like this may not rear it's head during a ten minute test drive.

When you say it takes 1.5 seconds to downshift, are you referring to that plus/minus toggle on the column shifter? The 2011 I drove seemed to down shift pretty quickly with that toggle switch. I didn't try the foot to the floor method of downshifting as I always hate how that works. Cruising along in 4th and really only wanting third gear but the vehicle violently drops to 2nd gear for about 1,000 rpm and then jerks back to third. This is how my 1998 Ram and 2000 F-150 shifted. I test drove a 2011 F-150 and a 2011 Ram and by utilizing the toggle on the column shifter I can avoid this problem.

Where did you buy in Washington State?

NC
Old 12-28-2010, 02:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Blue
ridetheworld is on a distinguished road

I didn't notice it either during the test drive, which I did in Tacoma, WA. If possible, try taking the truck up a steep incline with the cruise control on (Snoqualmie Pass). When the truck downshifts it will scare the shit out of you, one of the most unsettling experiences I have ever had in a vehicle. There is a hesitation, downshift, a jerk like you wouldn't believe, and then the truck just goes...fast.

I live in the South Sound area, so I don't see many hills in my daily commute. However, when I drove back and forth across the U.S., first I-90 east through Northern Idaho, Montana, etc... and then across Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming on the way back I was extremely disappointed with the high speed performance of the truck. This truck is not made to cruise (comfortably) at a speed above 70mph in anything but a completely flat area. Anything with rolling hills (Kansas, South Dakota, Montana, etc...) will present numerous challenges to this trucks transmission. It will constantly downshift (no problem in other vehicles I have owned) and you will be rewarded with that unsettling take off I mentioned. As I stated in my first post, the engine is awesome but the transmission is garbage. I now have 12k miles on the truck and still feel the same way. I averaged 15-16 mpg with an average speed of 75mph for 6000+ miles, this was with the truck mostly unloaded. I rarely use the toggle shifter because it rarely works.

As a daily driver I have few complaints, the only issue I have is leaving my girlfriends neighborhood in the morning. I have to really stomp the gas to get the truck to go up the steep incline (like 75% of the pedal down) otherwise I hit "eco" mode going up hill and the truck puts along no faster than 15mph. Again, hesitation and then go!

I did test drive a new tundra before the Ram. To be honest I couldn't tell much of a difference in the Tundra (transmission wise), but again this was on relatively flat terrain. I didn't drive a new F-150 which I regret.

I still have issues selecting the gears manually, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

I bought the truck at Tacoma Dodge and paid 29k for a 2010 Ram 5.7l V-8, Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, Dual Exhaust. The dealer was no different then the ones I have been to before. "We are only going to make $100 on this truck with this deal" kind of BS. They did flash the truck for free though when I bought the ITBC.

I have yet to pull a trailer. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ridetheworld; 12-28-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Metallic Silver
Rep:13
parrothead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05 View Post
I have an 05 4x4 SLT and I have the same complaints about the trans everything else is on point. I really noticed it the other day when hauling some cars to/from WV 1500lb up trip, 2500lb car home after a trade. Power was not an issue the truck didn't even feel like it had a load behind it, however sometimes it felt like it was in too high a gear and would not downshift unless the accelerator was press considerably. When pressed in this fashion once it downshifted it wanted to go. This was prevalent even in TOW/HAUL mode although less noticeable. I don't know though maybe just a little quirk I'll get used to, until I get my DSP
I used to have a 04 S/B S/C HEMI and hated the TOW/HAUL program because it seemed like you almost had to floor it to get it to kick down.By then you've lost 30mph the trans drops 2 gears which sends the tach screaming south and scares the crap out of ya.Then I went to Ala to pick up a car.On the way back to Texas I20 was pretty light so I used the cruise set on about 75MPH along with TOW/HAUL on.To my surprise things went very smooth.The truck would drop one gear when needed then go back at the top of the hill.For some reason it was much better when used with cruise control.I haven't towed with my 010 yet but I expect about the same thing.
BTW I made the same trip last year in my 03 Ford F-150 4.6 (towing a race car) and the requirements were simple...To maintain 70MPH keep the gas on the floor and stop at every gas station LOLOL!