DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Ford Woodland Green with black added
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:26
FF54 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine not running right

Hey guys. Just bought a 98 ram with 318, 5 speed 4x4. 145k miles on it last week. There was a couple times on my way home that it hesitated a little bit just barely any hesitation at all though. It stalled a few times when I was coming to a stop, i just figured that the battery had gone dead at some point and the computer was just relearning its idle. But the more I have drove it, the more it does it. Then yesterday I changed a u joint and the engine oil and put a new battery cable terminal on the ground lead. Now it's coughing and sputtering as I work up through 1st and 2 nd and a little bit into third. But fourth it barely does it. It almost is acting like its running out of gas. (I had half a tank in it) I put the scanner on it and it had a MAP fault, Speed sensor A fault (the speedometer doesnt work) and 2 different o2 sensor faults. Today I pulled the throttle body off, pulled all the sensors off it, Cleaned the IAC (i believe, it was the one on the back of the throttle body). I then screwd the sensors all back in, plugged everything in (including the vaccum line on the MAP sensor), new throttle body gasket, bolted everything down tight. Fire it up and the throttle for some reason had stuck wide open, luckily I shut it off before it hit 4k rpm. So i played with the throttle linkage and things freed up. Fired it up, and it ran. Barely. Kept acting like it wanted stop running again. Put the scan tool on it, and now it shows Pedal Position sensor/TPS high input voltage. It still is acting like its going to cut out as i move up through the gears until I get to fourth, and when I am coming to a stop it stalls out still. HELP?!?

-Sorry for being so long winded I wanted to make sure i didnt forget anything.

TIA
-Craig
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Couple of things come to mind. When you were cleaning things, what did you use as a solvent? Did you clean the TB? Did you clean the TPS?

If you used anything other than brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, I suggest doing all again. Many solvents leave a film behind.

I also found pipe cleaners like the ones pipe smokers use are awesome for getting into the small ports/holes. Spray the hole, run the cleaners through until they come out clean (requires multiple sprays, one for each swabbing). One final spray to get out any fibers left behind by the cleaners.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-23-2010, 07:38 PM

I used carb cleaner, the only one I really scrubbed (for lack of a better term) was the IAC. Other than that, the first time I fired it up after it wanted to go to WOT i sprayed a little bit of carb cleaner in the TB as I didnt want to do it and und up filling the intake runners. I did pull the tb off but did not pull the throttle linkage off as I was getting cold and did not want to risk screwing that up and spending another hour trying to figure it out.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Carb cleaner is not recommended for TB's. Definitely not good for sensors.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 12-24-2010, 11:34 AM

oh, I thought I had read somewhere that is what I was suppose to use. oops. So what is the reccomended cleaner? Brake Kleen? I put the scanner on it randomly since I have done this "cleaning" and the codes now are O2 sensor, MAP/BARO fault, Pedal Position/TPS high input fault, and Veh Speed sensor
Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 AM

Where is the most common place for these trucks to develope a vaccum leak? And what is the best cleaner to use for these sensors and such?