DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone


Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Quiet Lunatic's Avatar
Quiet Lunatic Quiet Lunatic is offline
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 2,169
Gender: Male
Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default

Well, so far since I am now on my 3rd tank it seems to be improving compared to the first 2. I am driving a little better but I am thinking that doing a tonneau cover will definitely improve it for wind flow. I had one on my Titan and it improved tremendously...

Hopefully it continues to jump, I am going off the EVIC system as of right now but I will still like to see how it is hand calc.

05Train...your message makes sense, but no matter whether its the last 20 gallons of my truck ran to empty, or the first 20 gallons from the top of the tank, 20 gallons is 20 gallons....so unless there is something huge hiding that I am missing it seems pretty common math to do. I will see on my next fill up what hand calc comes to.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 AM
05Train's Avatar
05Train 05Train is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 75
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:24
05Train is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryken89 View Post
05Train...your message makes sense, but no matter whether its the last 20 gallons of my truck ran to empty, or the first 20 gallons from the top of the tank, 20 gallons is 20 gallons....so unless there is something huge hiding that I am missing it seems pretty common math to do. I will see on my next fill up what hand calc comes to.
How do you know how much gas is in your tank when you start filling it? How do you know when you've used exactly 20 gallons? It is very simple math to do if you can answer those two questions, and the only way to know that is to run the tank dry. You can't count on the "full" tank being exactly 26 (or 32) gallons either, because the pump shutoff is going to occur at different points as well.

So if you fill the tank until the pump shuts off, drive it around, then refill it until the pump shuts off, you'll be able to hand calculate it relatively closely, but you're doing that based on the assumption that the tank was equally full to begin with. That can be a really inaccurate assumption.

The EVIC bases its computations on consumption, and you've got the odometer and DTE displays to work with too. That's going to be more accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM
CHVYKLR's Avatar
CHVYKLR CHVYKLR is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,395
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep Power: 6
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryken89 View Post
Well, so far since I am now on my 3rd tank it seems to be improving compared to the first 2. I am driving a little better but I am thinking that doing a tonneau cover will definitely improve it for wind flow. I had one on my Titan and it improved tremendously...

Hopefully it continues to jump, I am going off the EVIC system as of right now but I will still like to see how it is hand calc.

05Train...your message makes sense, but no matter whether its the last 20 gallons of my truck ran to empty, or the first 20 gallons from the top of the tank, 20 gallons is 20 gallons....so unless there is something huge hiding that I am missing it seems pretty common math to do. I will see on my next fill up what hand calc comes to.
Titans may be different but if you are thinking about buying a tonneau cover solely for the purpose of gas mileage you may want to read this.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69626
__________________
Turbo / Trans by L&M Customs (MGH)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Quiet Lunatic's Avatar
Quiet Lunatic Quiet Lunatic is offline
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 2,169
Gender: Male
Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy
Titans may be different but if you are thinking about buying a tonneau cover solely for the purpose of gas mileage you may want to read this.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69626
Hmm thanks for that, I guess with the titan the cover did make a difference due to the airflow and design of the truck.

On a side note, I think I would still like one to keep stuff secure and dry, but I would really like to have one that is already match painted.

What is your input on CAI or just a drop in KN&N filter for mpg increase? yay or nay and why?

I am looking at trying to do everything to increase my MPG.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM
CHVYKLR's Avatar
CHVYKLR CHVYKLR is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,395
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep Power: 6
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough
Default

the stock intake is really good on the gen 4s. I only did a drop in b/c of that reason and also b/c $300 is a lot for a CAI for maybe 5-10rwhp.

the best way to get better mileage is your driving habits as much as I hate to say it. I did my exhaust for a little better sound and a couple of hp, the drop in b/c I'll never have to buy a filter again and if it gave me anything then that's a plus and well the 4.10s b/c I wanted the truck to be a little more fun from time to time. I bought my tonneau for the reasons you noted and hoped it would help mpgs but I don't think it did plus I think they look good.

I am by no means trying to talk you or anyone out of buying mods. Trust me I'm pretty bad myself but if you are doing it for mpgs then look at it from a monetary standpoint.

let's assume you drive 15,000 miles per year, gas is $3 per gallon and you get an avg of 18 mpg. this means you spend $2500 in gas. (if you drive less the savings per year will be lower)

if a CAI gives you 1 mpg better you'll save $131.58 each year...I think they claim more mpgs. (2+ years to pay itself off)

a tonneau cover gives another 1 mpg and you are now saving $250 each year with both.

an exhaust maybe 0.5 mpg I think you see where I'm going with this. If it were this easy Dodge with all their R&D and more importantly trying to meet CAFE numbers would do this stuff from the get go. If they could add 2-3 more mpgs that would do a lot for them in their advertising campaign against the others too. I'm mean who doesn't want better mpgs in this day and age. Now the flip side is cost to them and would it be beneficial. Dodge is also trying to build a truck for the masses. Some people don't want the noise that comes with a CAI or exhaust.

Sorry for the rant and the tangents. I say do the mods for personal reasons and if you get better mpgs then it's a win-win. Of course it will be harder to stay outta the gas too when you end up with some more power!!
__________________
Turbo / Trans by L&M Customs (MGH)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM
wickedpissahtruck's Avatar
wickedpissahtruck wickedpissahtruck is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston,MA
Posts: 155
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:23
wickedpissahtruck is on a distinguished road
Default

I couldn't agree with 05train any more. He is right on the money with his mpg theory. I've done all the "tricks" to try to improve gas mileage in any truck I have owned. Done the CAI, exhausts, tonneau covers, programs, octane boosters, and the like and have noticed some decent performance gains, but jack diddly on mpg gains. It absolutely comes down to weight, temperature, and how you drive. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Quiet Lunatic's Avatar
Quiet Lunatic Quiet Lunatic is offline
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 2,169
Gender: Male
Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default

Gabriel...

Think you did a good job summing it up. The way you drive is the best way to save. I have seen the EVIC jump tremendously on this last tank so far and we will see what it comes to hand calc when the tank is done.

I definitely agree about the mods...do them cause you want because obviously it will eventually pay itself off but not in a timely manner, do it for looks/sounds/performance.

I read 05trains post on the simple things to do and I went thru my truck and topped off all the air pressure, removed all excess weight, understanding its cold weather down south right now ha ha, and the remainder of what he suggested..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM
aepowell's Avatar
aepowell aepowell is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sherman,tx
Age: 64
Posts: 305
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
How do you know how much gas is in your tank when you start filling it? How do you know when you've used exactly 20 gallons? It is very simple math to do if you can answer those two questions, and the only way to know that is to run the tank dry. You can't count on the "full" tank being exactly 26 (or 32) gallons either, because the pump shutoff is going to occur at different points as well.

So if you fill the tank until the pump shuts off, drive it around, then refill it until the pump shuts off, you'll be able to hand calculate it relatively closely, but you're doing that based on the assumption that the tank was equally full to begin with. That can be a really inaccurate assumption.

The EVIC bases its computations on consumption, and you've got the odometer and DTE displays to work with too. That's going to be more accurate.
I am 100% with you on what you are saying. I've said the same thing on numerous threads. The evic is more accurate that you will ever be by hand calculations. There are just too many veribles in hand calculations.
__________________

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM
CHVYKLR's Avatar
CHVYKLR CHVYKLR is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,395
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep Power: 6
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough
Default

don't forget to post up some pics when you start modding.
__________________
Turbo / Trans by L&M Customs (MGH)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Chili1K's Avatar
Chili1K Chili1K is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,536
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep Power: 7
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of
Default

couple other tips... make sure you drive downhill all the way to the destination. Also a tail wind will help, so consult your local weatherman on the jetstream.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum