DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Well, so far since I am now on my 3rd tank it seems to be improving compared to the first 2. I am driving a little better but I am thinking that doing a tonneau cover will definitely improve it for wind flow. I had one on my Titan and it improved tremendously...

Hopefully it continues to jump, I am going off the EVIC system as of right now but I will still like to see how it is hand calc.

05Train...your message makes sense, but no matter whether its the last 20 gallons of my truck ran to empty, or the first 20 gallons from the top of the tank, 20 gallons is 20 gallons....so unless there is something huge hiding that I am missing it seems pretty common math to do. I will see on my next fill up what hand calc comes to.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
05Train is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryken89 View Post
05Train...your message makes sense, but no matter whether its the last 20 gallons of my truck ran to empty, or the first 20 gallons from the top of the tank, 20 gallons is 20 gallons....so unless there is something huge hiding that I am missing it seems pretty common math to do. I will see on my next fill up what hand calc comes to.
How do you know how much gas is in your tank when you start filling it? How do you know when you've used exactly 20 gallons? It is very simple math to do if you can answer those two questions, and the only way to know that is to run the tank dry. You can't count on the "full" tank being exactly 26 (or 32) gallons either, because the pump shutoff is going to occur at different points as well.

So if you fill the tank until the pump shuts off, drive it around, then refill it until the pump shuts off, you'll be able to hand calculate it relatively closely, but you're doing that based on the assumption that the tank was equally full to begin with. That can be a really inaccurate assumption.

The EVIC bases its computations on consumption, and you've got the odometer and DTE displays to work with too. That's going to be more accurate.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryken89 View Post
Well, so far since I am now on my 3rd tank it seems to be improving compared to the first 2. I am driving a little better but I am thinking that doing a tonneau cover will definitely improve it for wind flow. I had one on my Titan and it improved tremendously...

Hopefully it continues to jump, I am going off the EVIC system as of right now but I will still like to see how it is hand calc.

Titans may be different but if you are thinking about buying a tonneau cover solely for the purpose of gas mileage you may want to read this.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69626
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy
Titans may be different but if you are thinking about buying a tonneau cover solely for the purpose of gas mileage you may want to read this.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=69626
Hmm thanks for that, I guess with the titan the cover did make a difference due to the airflow and design of the truck.

On a side note, I think I would still like one to keep stuff secure and dry, but I would really like to have one that is already match painted.

What is your input on CAI or just a drop in KN&N filter for mpg increase? yay or nay and why?

I am looking at trying to do everything to increase my MPG.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM

CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

the stock intake is really good on the gen 4s. I only did a drop in b/c of that reason and also b/c $300 is a lot for a CAI for maybe 5-10rwhp.

the best way to get better mileage is your driving habits as much as I hate to say it. I did my exhaust for a little better sound and a couple of hp, the drop in b/c I'll never have to buy a filter again and if it gave me anything then that's a plus and well the 4.10s b/c I wanted the truck to be a little more fun from time to time. I bought my tonneau for the reasons you noted and hoped it would help mpgs but I don't think it did plus I think they look good.

I am by no means trying to talk you or anyone out of buying mods. Trust me I'm pretty bad myself but if you are doing it for mpgs then look at it from a monetary standpoint.

let's assume you drive 15,000 miles per year, gas is $3 per gallon and you get an avg of 18 mpg. this means you spend $2500 in gas. (if you drive less the savings per year will be lower)

if a CAI gives you 1 mpg better you'll save $131.58 each year...I think they claim more mpgs. (2+ years to pay itself off)

a tonneau cover gives another 1 mpg and you are now saving $250 each year with both.

an exhaust maybe 0.5 mpg I think you see where I'm going with this. If it were this easy Dodge with all their R&D and more importantly trying to meet CAFE numbers would do this stuff from the get go. If they could add 2-3 more mpgs that would do a lot for them in their advertising campaign against the others too. I'm mean who doesn't want better mpgs in this day and age. Now the flip side is cost to them and would it be beneficial. Dodge is also trying to build a truck for the masses. Some people don't want the noise that comes with a CAI or exhaust.

Sorry for the rant and the tangents. I say do the mods for personal reasons and if you get better mpgs then it's a win-win. Of course it will be harder to stay outta the gas too when you end up with some more power!!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn Edition
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
wickedpissahtruck is on a distinguished road

I couldn't agree with 05train any more. He is right on the money with his mpg theory. I've done all the "tricks" to try to improve gas mileage in any truck I have owned. Done the CAI, exhausts, tonneau covers, programs, octane boosters, and the like and have noticed some decent performance gains, but jack diddly on mpg gains. It absolutely comes down to weight, temperature, and how you drive. Plain and simple.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 PM

Gabriel...

Think you did a good job summing it up. The way you drive is the best way to save. I have seen the EVIC jump tremendously on this last tank so far and we will see what it comes to hand calc when the tank is done.

I definitely agree about the mods...do them cause you want because obviously it will eventually pay itself off but not in a timely manner, do it for looks/sounds/performance.

I read 05trains post on the simple things to do and I went thru my truck and topped off all the air pressure, removed all excess weight, understanding its cold weather down south right now ha ha, and the remainder of what he suggested..
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
How do you know how much gas is in your tank when you start filling it? How do you know when you've used exactly 20 gallons? It is very simple math to do if you can answer those two questions, and the only way to know that is to run the tank dry. You can't count on the "full" tank being exactly 26 (or 32) gallons either, because the pump shutoff is going to occur at different points as well.

So if you fill the tank until the pump shuts off, drive it around, then refill it until the pump shuts off, you'll be able to hand calculate it relatively closely, but you're doing that based on the assumption that the tank was equally full to begin with. That can be a really inaccurate assumption.

The EVIC bases its computations on consumption, and you've got the odometer and DTE displays to work with too. That's going to be more accurate.
I am 100% with you on what you are saying. I've said the same thing on numerous threads. The evic is more accurate that you will ever be by hand calculations. There are just too many veribles in hand calculations.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 PM

don't forget to post up some pics when you start modding.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crewcab 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Email: Chili1k@att.net
Rep:1092
Chili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud ofChili1K has much to be proud of

couple other tips... make sure you drive downhill all the way to the destination. Also a tail wind will help, so consult your local weatherman on the jetstream.