DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1989 Holden Astra
Color: White
Rep:25
SilverFire is on a distinguished road
Default Time to start modding the Mega Cab!

Okay, I'm going to start working on my Mega Cab.

Now, I'm looking to do a setup where I can swap programs, like the Six Gun. I want three stages.

1- Max Fuel Saving: For daily driving and whatnot.

2- Basic Towing: For medium towing loads.

3- WOT: Max power.

I'm not too sure on the programmer to use, but I do want an actual programmer, not a chip that tricks the ECU into thinking differently.

My first step before the programmer though is going to be CAI and exhaust.

Now, is the stock throttle body good for moderate mods, or should I replace it when I go for the CAI?

Also, where can I find a CAI kit for my truck that's actually good? The ones I've seen don't drop the filter down, and it just sits where the stock airbox is now. I want to go true CAI, and drop the filter down low.

Second one, the exhaust. I want to go true dual exhaust, with an X joint after the cats leading to two single in/single out mufflers. I like a moderate bit of sound, but I don't wanna be waking up everyone when I crank it. I was thinking Flowmaster 40 series. With two of them on a balanced system, it should be a good moderate sound, without being obnoxious, and give me the flow I need later.

Now, I am going to go forced induction. I'm used to running turbochargers, but I haven't seen any good turbo kits for my truck.

Are there any, or is my best bet going to be a supercharger?

If I do go supercharger, what's a good brand? I don't want a roots type though, I'd prefer a twin screw setup.

So, for the start, here's what I'm thinking to do:

1. CAI
2. Exhaust
3. Forced Induction
4. Controller (Though I imagine the controller will go on the same time the FI does)

Also, with going FI, am I going to need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors right away, or can that wait until I go for new cams/heads? I'm quite new to working on the Hemi, so I don't know what the stock parts are capable of supporting as far as bolt on mods
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Flaminchiten is on a distinguished road

If you are going forced induction I would skip the CAI, most don't work with CAI or include there own induction system.

I would do....

1. Headers
2. Exhaust
3. Super charger & custom tune
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
1. CAI
Check out the Volant CAI. It is a true CAI in that it fully enclosed and keeps hot air from the engine compartment out. It has 2 inlets. One connects to the stock port in the fender and has a hole in the bottom which is designed for use with their inlet tube.

Quote:
2. Exhaust
I'm no expert on this one but it seems to me headers, true duals with hi-flow cats and hi-flow muffler would be best. I'm thinking strictly old school though so there may be something better that I'm not aware of.

Quote:
3. Forced Induction
This sounds interesting, I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with or what others suggest.
Quote:
4. Controller (Though I imagine the controller will go on the same time the FI does)
Check out the Diablo Trinity. I know it does real-time data streaming and has a bunch of other functions. Nice thing about the diablos is that if you need to get warranty work done, you can remove the programming and they don't leave an electronic footprint like some others might.

Keep us posted on what you come up with. Of course mod reports with pics (video with sound for exhaust mods) are an unwritten rule around here.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If you're gonna do the forced induction then skip the CAI and put it towards the charger. If you plan to keep the stock bottom end, then I'd look at either the KenneBell or the procharger for superchargers or the STS kit for a turbo. Since you plan to go the forced rout, then I'd look at a 90mm TB, and maybe even upgrade to an aftermarket intake manifold like an XV (but it's optional)

With your exhaust, decide your charger first as it will determine if you can do duals or not. If you go with a turbo, then duals isn't practical as you'll want both sides feeding the turbo. If you go supercharged, then longtube headers, highflow cats, H-pipe, and dump wherever you want.

Get the diablo Predator or trinity, they are the benchmark for custom tuning which you'll need with either ''charger. The trinity will display your info without the need to install new guages which you'd have to with the pred, so you'll save some install time and $$ as the guages/setup would offset the cost of the trinity.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
I'm no expert on this one but it seems to me headers, true duals with hi-flow cats and hi-flow muffler would be best. I'm thinking strictly old school though so there may be something better that I'm not aware of.
It's going to be a full header back system. BUT, with extreme applications, you want that X pipe to balance out the exhaust flow and keep everything in tune with the engine. It's what I did to my VR-4.

I'm leaning heavily towards supercharging right now, for two reasons. First, I've not played with one yet, and I like to learn. Second, with the bigger engine, it gets pressure where it needs to be a lot more reliably, and without a lot of the turbulence you can get from a turbo application.

As for gauges and whatnot, I'm leaning towards a custom screen in the dash to display all the data I need. (There's a nice big spot right above the glove box that I'm hopeful about).

So, for right now, looks like first I'll be doing headers and exhaust, the Trinity tuner and display screen, then the forced induction.

Now, on the Hemi, can I go bolt on for the supercharger, or am I looking at all new heads and pistons to bring the compression down to an acceptable level for running the supercharger?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Flaminchiten is on a distinguished road

What kind of boost are you looking for? If you are going for the 5 - 7 psi then stock should be fine, if you are looking to make a lot of boost 10 - 15 or more then a motor rebuild should be done.

Also I would not do the tune until you go boosted, and I would do a custom tune, a canned tune will net you some good numbers but a custom will get you more.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM

Not too sure on the boost levels, though right now I'm honestly thinking about buying a shortblock and building it up, then doing a full motor swap.

What I'm looking for long term is a medium high performance level that I can dial down to a good every day at need.

So, I'm just going to stick with mild mods on the truck for now. Exhaust, CAI, tuner, etc. Then once I get those done, I'll buy a stripped block, and do a proper build from the ground up.

I'm thinking custom forged pistons balanced to my block specifically, to start.