DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
zman9788 is on a distinguished road
Default I Need A Mechanics Opinion: Possible Reason for Level Kit Issues

So I have the 2" Mopar Kit Installed on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab. Looks great, but I tested it in 4WD immediately after dealer installed it and I have the wobble/shudder issue. Dealer said kit is the problem as it may be causing binding of the U-Joint on the drive shaft as it puts it at a steeper angle relative to transfer case. I called Mopar and told them what dealer said. They think thats false, but would get back to me after speaking with the engineers.

After speaking with a few other dealers, I heard there may be some wiggle room with the bolts that hold the transfer case and/or front differential in place. I don't know much, but if this is true, could it be that each ram out there has its transfer case/front differential at a slightly different angle relative to the drive shaft (from the factory), which would explain why some guys are having success with their level kits, while others like myself are not? Any mechanics on here with any input? If I get someone under there to adjust positioning of transfer case/front differential relative to drive shaft, would it cause less binding at the U-Joint and stop/reduce the shuddering?

Just a thought...

Kind of helpful link - Pinion Angles and CV Joints:
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman9788 View Post
So I have the 2" Mopar Kit Installed on my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab. Looks great, but I tested it in 4WD immediately after dealer installed it and I have the wobble/shudder issue. Dealer said kit is the problem as it may be causing binding of the U-Joint on the drive shaft as it puts it at a steeper angle relative to transfer case. I called Mopar and told them what dealer said. They think thats false, but would get back to me after speaking with the engineers.

After speaking with a few other dealers, I heard there may be some wiggle room with the bolts that hold the transfer case and/or front differential in place. I don't know much, but if this is true, could it be that each ram out there has its transfer case/front differential at a slightly different angle relative to the drive shaft (from the factory), which would explain why some guys are having success with their level kits, while others like myself are not? Any mechanics on here with any input? If I get someone under there to adjust positioning of transfer case/front differential relative to drive shaft, would it cause less binding at the U-Joint and stop/reduce the shuddering?

Just a thought...

Kind of helpful link - Pinion Angles and CV Joints:
http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/
That is a very logical explanation, I often wondered the same. What I would like to know is if there is anybody offering a "lowering mount" kit just for the front diff assembly to correct or eliminate the angle of the half-shafts with a levelling kit installed, if so I would be the first inline to put a levelling kit on my truck.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

I haven't heard of to many people dropping 4x4 trucks so i haven't experienced this problem with a drop but with lifts. It sounds like what they are saying could be true but they are being vague (spelling) with it just in case they may be wrong. I believe that dodge has had problems with the u-joints and the new angle could prematurely make them fail and vibrate/shudder, etc. I know certain companies have made kits for lifted trucks to adjust the level of the drivetrain but i'm not sure about adjusting it with a drop. I know when I worked at a Custom Truck Shop for awhile there were certain kits that had problems with the wheel speed sensors after the lift install and would shudder going down the road. I would take it to the place or dealer that installed it and tell them that it was never mentioned to you that installing the drop kit would make this problem happin and you want it fixed but put it nicely. The nicer you are about it the more willing they will be to source the problem. Sorry w/o specifically seeing or hearing the problem that is all the info I can give you. Hope this helps!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance

Last edited by moparornocar72; 01-09-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ChryslerTech is on a distinguished road

There is no room for adjustment on the transfer case. I'd also doubt that there is much room to move the front diff with the factory mounting points. To lower the front diff with a drop bracket requires cutting of the crossmember mounting pocket
Old 01-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerTech View Post
There is no room for adjustment on the transfer case. I'd also doubt that there is much room to move the front diff with the factory mounting points. To lower the front diff with a drop bracket requires cutting of the crossmember mounting pocket
Okay, I really haven't looked at any lift kits for newer suspensions, my last 4WD was an 86' High Sierra with a solid front axle, it had a 6" lift, but it was all in the leaf springs,so no obvious problems associated with angles of half-shafts like my dodge has now, so how do they correct for the proper angle of the half-shafts?