DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Haleyrz is on a distinguished road
Default Strange overdrive issue! Help!

I took my 2001 Ram SLT 1500, 4x4 to Missoula, MT this weekend for Christmas. This is a 180 mile trip which takes you over two mountain passes. Anyways, what my problem is, is the truck will turn overdrive off at its own free will, illuminating the O/D off light. It does not turn back on by pushing the button, in fact, it turns back on randomly, but usually after a few miles or slowing down to a very slow speed. The first time this happened was a few weeks before my trip, with cruise on, at exactly 75mph on flat ground. It turned back on once I got off the freeway and parked, then never did it again until this trip. During the trip, the first time it happened was right when i got to the top of the first pass, going down hill, cruise off, and at about 70mph. It turned back on at the bottom of the pass. Second time happened a few miles later on flat ground, with cruise on, dead on 75mph. Today on my trip back to Washington I never once used cruise, and still did it, a total of 3 times through the drive back, mostly on flat highway.

So it seems that it happens at 70+ mph, cruise does not make a difference, and terrain does not make a difference. I've researched a little since I got back to town tonight, and it seems that a sticky O/D solenoid is common on these 1500's? I know there are a few other components relating to the overdrive, but I dont know my way around a transmission that well. From pictures I've seen it looks like i'd have to pull the transmission? Does anyone know what i'm talking about, had the same problem, or any advice? I should also mention, I do have the P0601 code for the bad PCM. Do you think this could be relating to the overdrive faulting out? I'm a little nervous here because I just bought this truck 3 months ago for $8000 and I really have no extra money for any sort of repairs (hence why i've yet to replace the PCM).
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Color: White w/blue trim & chrome
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
RAMIT222 is on a distinguished road

I had my transmission diagnosed by a local trans shop with a scan tool at no cost. Call up one near you and inquire. Possibly your best bet and then you can go from there. Happy 2011.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

I have never heard of that but if you are having a bad PCM code then it may be a matter of having it read somewhere and having the codes all cleared. It may just need an update and I would suggest looking into tech bulletins that may be out on your truck. I have a dealer that will reflash the PCM for about $100 so if that is your problem I would look into it after I had the codes cleared and maybe flash the PCM if it comes back. Many times when they are flashed they get all the latest updates put on there and it runs like a new truck. Good luck. Maybe Randy will chime in here and shed some of his expert advice.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
erm

Sounds like either a PCM issue or the trans control module may be glitched if this generation has one. Good luck!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: 1500 SLT Laramie
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Haleyrz is on a distinguished road

The PCM code seems to be unrelated. I did clear it a while back but it came back. Dealer said they cant reflash it either, I'd have to replace the PCM, which I'll get through work when I have the $250 to do so. Back to the issue at hand....seems like the transmission was simply overheating. It even states in the owners manual, under the overdrive section, that once the transmission reaches 270 degrees it will automatically kick out of overdrive, then kick back into overdrive once it has cooled down. So I grabbed some SeaFoam Trans Tune at work (which is just a tranny cleaner), ran that for a day, then did a fluid and filter change. So far in the last 3 weeks i have not had the overdrive issue.

Now. Here's another problem with the tranny. When I turn left, about half the time it feels like it slips, like if I were losing traction on the road, and how the whole truck snaps and goes once it gains traction. Thats what it feels like, only, its not losing traction. And it seems to ONLY do so on left hand turns. Any ideas on this one?