12-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep Power: 15
The overdrive unit can be serviced separately. It is not necessary to remove the entire transmission assembly to perform overdrive unit repairs.
- Disconnect battery negative cable.
- Disconnect and lower or remove necessary exhaust components.
- Remove engine-to-transmission struts, if equipped. Disconnect fluid cooler lines at transmission.
- Remove starter motor. Disconnect and remove the crankshaft position sensor. Retain the sensor attaching bolts.
- Remove torque converter access cover.
- If transmission is being removed for overhaul, remove transmission oil pan, drain fluid and reinstall pan.
- Remove fill tube bracket bolts and pull tube out of transmission. Retain fill tube seal. On 4 x 4 models, it will also be necessary to remove bolt attaching transfer case vent tube to converter housing Rotate crankshaft in clockwise direction until converter bolts are accessible. Then remove bolts one at a time. Rotate crankshaft with socket wrench on dampener bolt.
- Mark propeller shaft and axle yokes for assembly alignment. Then disconnect and remove propeller shaft. On 4 x 4 models, remove both propeller shafts. Disconnect wires from park/neutral position switch and transmission solenoid.
- Disconnect gearshift rod and torque shaft assembly from transmission.
- Disconnect throttle valve cable from transmission bracket and throttle valve lever.
- On 4 x 4 models, disconnect shift rod from transfer case shift lever.
- Support rear of engine with safety stand or jack.
- Raise transmission slightly with service jack to relieve load on crossmember and supports.
- Remove bolts securing rear support and cushion to transmission and crossmember. Raise transmission slightly, slide exhaust hanger arm from bracket and remove rear support.
- Remove bolts attaching crossmember to frame and remove crossmember.
- On 4 x 4 models, remove transfer case with transmission jack or aid of helper.
- Remove all converter housing bolts.
- Carefully work transmission and torque converter assembly rearward off engine block dowels.
- Lower transmission and remove assembly from under the vehicle.
- To remove torque converter, remove C-clamp from edge of bell housing and carefully slide torque converter out of the transmission.