DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi
Color: Black
Rep:53
cyberpine will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm big on record keeping. Just a few months ago I sold a 3 year old 2008 Jeep (with 24k miles I bought at the dealership back when they were giving them away) in a private sale for just under $1000 what I orginally paid. Having good maintenance records is like money in your pocket.

I have been calculating mpg by hand. I do have a led foot, but I think my problem is I like to drive with the windows open on the highway. For whatever reason I always do way below the norm.

Will likely do the K&N filter and consider synthetic.

So the truck will warn again at around 9k and not 6k?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
vettaboy is on a distinguished road

Oil change warning is based on duty cycle, but I stick to the maintance schedule and change it ever 6K.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
DBryant is on a distinguished road

Forget the K&N, it will not increase your milage. If it did the factory would install it to start with. You can use synthetic or conventional, it doesen't matter, and you can switch back, no harm. There are lots of trucks out there with 150,000 plus miles without using synthetic. Be advised that any mod you do can void your warranty, if the dealer wants to. Don't say, they have to prove it, they don't, you do. Can you afford to hire a lawyer while you truck is not usable. Been there, done that, not worth it.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Cool Chrome
Color: Cool Vanilla
Rep:79
westxsrt10 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=DBryant;413933]Forget the K&N, it will not increase your milage. If it did the factory would install it to start with. You can use synthetic or conventional, it doesen't matter, and you can switch back, no harm. There are lots of trucks out there with 150,000 plus miles without using synthetic. Be advised that any mod you do can void your warranty, if the dealer wants to. Don't say, they have to prove it, they don't, you do. Can you afford to hire a lawyer while you truck is not usable. Been there, done that, not worth it.[/QUOTE

I agree to stay away from a K&N...it will only harm your engine by letting in more dirt. (proven in research) Go with synthetic's after the first oil change.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...d=58&Itemid=66

Last edited by westxsrt10; 01-16-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

[QUOTE=westxsrt10;414040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant View Post
Forget the K&N, it will not increase your milage. If it did the factory would install it to start with. You can use synthetic or conventional, it doesen't matter, and you can switch back, no harm. There are lots of trucks out there with 150,000 plus miles without using synthetic. Be advised that any mod you do can void your warranty, if the dealer wants to. Don't say, they have to prove it, they don't, you do. Can you afford to hire a lawyer while you truck is not usable. Been there, done that, not worth it.[/QUOTE

I agree to stay away from a K&N...it will only harm your engine by letting in more dirt. (proven in research) Go with synthetic's after the first oil change.
Can you provide a link to this research? I would be interested to read it and see who published it!
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Vehicle: 97 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:55
Ram15002ndgen will become famous soon enough

It's simple enough. The reason the K&N and others like this give you more power is because they have larger pores to allow more air to flow through. The way they capture contaminants is with the oiling that you have to apply repeatedly. OEM type paper filters have smaller pores therefor keeping out a larger amount of contaminants and therefor protecting your engine more. Its quite simple. The more crap gets in the combustion chamber the more harm it can do. So you tolerate a little more restriction to protect your engine is what he is saying.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Cool Chrome
Color: Cool Vanilla
Rep:79
westxsrt10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram15002ndgen View Post
It's simple enough. The reason the K&N and others like this give you more power is because they have larger pores to allow more air to flow through. The way they capture contaminants is with the oiling that you have to apply repeatedly. OEM type paper filters have smaller pores therefor keeping out a larger amount of contaminants and therefor protecting your engine more. Its quite simple. The more crap gets in the combustion chamber the more harm it can do. So you tolerate a little more restriction to protect your engine is what he is saying.
Hold your KN up and compair it to a OEM....the OEM has does have smaller pores (better filtering) to capture more dirt but it also has from 50%-100% more surface area/depth to capture the dirt. The Oem filter is still oversized for the engine size. Hint: I have used the KN filters but always use a foam pre-filter.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 Crewcab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:13
Mcbride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant View Post
Forget the K&N, it will not increase your milage. If it did the factory would install it to start with. You can use synthetic or conventional, it doesen't matter, and you can switch back, no harm. There are lots of trucks out there with 150,000 plus miles without using synthetic. Be advised that any mod you do can void your warranty, if the dealer wants to. Don't say, they have to prove it, they don't, you do. Can you afford to hire a lawyer while you truck is not usable. Been there, done that, not worth it.
I agree with this 100%.
I had a K&N filter on my diesel truck, and was told by 3 different mechanics to remove it asap and replace with the stock filter.
They all said the k&n passes too much dirt and they see premature wear on engines with them.
They called it "dusted" as the term for engines wearing out with a k&n filter.
Then 1 guy showed me a k&n held up to a strong light, compared to the filter that came stock in my truck.
The OEM filter was new out of the box, and you could easily see why the OEM one would filter a lot better, as the K&N was far too pourous(spelling) to filter properly.
Also i never saw a mileage increase going to the k&n, or a drop in mileage when i switched back to the OEM filter. So if the k&n did help, it was very little, to the point of not being noticeable.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 Crewcab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:13
Mcbride is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Crash;414146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by westxsrt10 View Post
Can you provide a link to this research? I would be interested to read it and see who published it!
Here is just 1 link.
But a google search will net you hundreds showing the problems of a k&n airfilter.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/h...-filters-work/