- Using a vise, lightly compress the secondary chain tensioner piston until the piston step is flush with the tensioner body. Using a pin or suitable tool, release ratchet pawl by pulling pawl back against spring force through access hole on side of tensioner. While continuing to hold pawl back, Push ratchet device to approximately 2 mm from the tensioner body. Install Special Tool 8514 lock pin into hole on front of tensioner. Slowly open vise to transfer piston spring force to lock pin. Position primary chain tensioner over oil pump and insert bolts into lower two holes on tensioner bracket. Tighten bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
- CAUTION: Overtightening the tensioner arm torx® bolt can cause severe damage to the cylinder head. Tighten torx® bolt to specified torque only.
- Install right side chain tensioner arm. Apply Mopar® Lock N, Seal to torx® bolt, tighten bolt to 17 N·m (150 in. lbs.). NOTE: The silver bolts retain the guides to the cylinder heads and the black bolts retain the guides to the engine block.
- Install the left side chain guide. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.). CAUTION: Overtightening the tensioner arm torx® bolt can cause severe damage to the cylinder head. Tighten torx® bolt to specified torque only.
- Install left side chain tensioner arm. Apply Mopar® Lock N, Seal to torx® bolt, tighten bolt to 17 N·m (150 in. lbs.).
- Install the right side chain guide. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
- Install both secondary chains onto the idler sprocket. Align two plated links on the secondary chains to be visible through the two lower openings on the idler sprocket (4 o'clock and 8 o'clock). Once the secondary timing chains are installed, position special tool 8515 to hold chains in place for installation. Align primary chain double plated links with the timing mark at 12 o'clock on the idler sprocket. Align the primary chain single plated link with the timing mark at 6 o'clock on the crankshaft sprocket.
- Lubricate idler shaft and bushings with clean engine oil.
- Install all chains, crankshaft sprocket, and idler sprocket as an assembly. After guiding both secondary chains through the block and cylinder head openings, affix chains with a elastic strap or the equivalent, This will maintain tension on chains to aid in installation. NOTE: It will be necessary to slightly rotate camshafts for sprocket installation.
- Align left camshaft sprocket “L” dot to plated link on chain.
- Align right camshaft sprocket “R” dot to plated link on chain. CAUTION: Remove excess oil from the camshaft sprocket bolt. Failure to do so can result in over-torque of bolt resulting in bolt failure.
- Remove Special Tool 8515, then attach both sprockets to camshafts. Remove excess oil from bolts, then Install sprocket bolts, but do not tighten at this time.
- Verify that all plated links are aligned with the marks on all sprockets and the “V8” marks on camshaft sprockets are at the 12 o'clock position. CAUTION: Ensure the plate between the left secondary chain tensioner and block is correctly installed.
- Install both secondary chain tensioners. Tighten bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.). NOTE: Left and right secondary chain tensioners are not common.
- Before installing idler sprocket bolt, lubricate washer with oil, and tighten idler sprocket assembly retaining bolt to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.).
- Remove all locking pins (3) from tensioners. CAUTION: After pulling locking pins out of each tensioner, DO NOT manually extend the tensioner(s) ratchet. Doing so will over tension the chains, resulting in noise and/or high timing chain loads.
- Using Special Tool 6958, Spanner with Adaptor Pins 8346, tighten left and right camshaft sprocket bolts to 122 N·m (90 ft. lbs.).
- Rotate engine two full revolutions. Verify timing marks are at the follow locations:
- primary chain idler sprocket dot is at 12 o'clock. primary chain crankshaft sprocket dot is at 6 o'clock. secondary chain camshaft sprockets “V8” marks are at 12 o'clock. Lubricate all three chains with engine oil.
- After installing all chains, it is recommended that the idler gear end play be checked. The end play must be within 0.10–0.25 mm (0.004–0.010 in.). If not within specification, the idler gear must be replaced.
- Install timing chain cover and crankshaft damper. Install cylinder head covers NOTE: Before installing threaded plug in right cylinder head, the plug must be coated with sealant to prevent leaks.
- Coat the large threaded access plug with Mopar® Thread Sealant with Teflon</B>, then install into the right cylinder head and tighten to 81 N·m (60 ft. lbs.) Install the oil fill housing.
- Install access plug in left cylinder head. Install power steering pump Install radiator fan shroud.
- Fill cooling system Connect negative cable to battery.
1 - right camshaft sprocket and secondary chain
2 - secondary timing chain tensioner (left and right side not common)
3 - secondary tensioner arm
4 - left camshaft sprocket and secondary chain
5 - chain guide
6 - two plated links on right camshaft chain
7 - primary chain
8 - idler sprocket
9 - crankshaft sprocket
10 - primary chain tensioner
11 - two plated links on left camshaft chain
12 - secondary tensioner arm